Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
I've seen the #'s in the past as well, but really I wouldn't switch back to barbs, the ease of releasing a fish with barbless is nice to have. Truth be told, the only fishing I do where barbs would be beneficial is salmon fishing due to the fact that I'm trying to fill the freezer and they have hard mouths making it pretty easy to shake the hook. But that's another province anyway.
The salt chuck went barbless before Alberta, heck that's where Klein got the idea.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
if this happened, you will be glad you have a barbless hook!
Yikes, just about puked watching that but I sent it off to some fishn' buddies. I always wear sunglasses or safety glasses when I fish and have had a couple close calls with hooks hitting me in the face.

As for barbed hooks, take the danm things off at the factory. I don't think I've lost any more fish using barbless hooks. It makes it so much easier to release a fish if the hooks come out quickly especially bigger fish that tend to swallow the hook a bit more.

As for the pike fishing comment try to get one of those Storm Softbaits out of a pikes mouth. Even with no barbs it is a task that I'm sure lots of guys can relate to.

Last edited by BigBuck$; 04-16-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
5mins out of the water vs 6mins ??????????????

Man, are you making a movie?
you read my mind. when i saw that... my thought was.... how many pictures are you taking???

30 secs max unless you dealing with treble hooks...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
i dont get the whole "its just a way for the goverment to their hands in your pockets".
just pinch the barbs, you wont get a fine.
personally i do not really see the need or want for them other then possibly keeping bait on, but then again i have grown up here and have learned to fish without them.
Look, if the law was made just to generate fines, then it is about the gov't taxing us to death. No science no reason - what do you call it?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 PM

A feel good law.

A law that gives the appearance that they are doing something good for the resource. But in reality does nothing.

The law was not made to generate fines. Thats just a bonus by-product
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Barbless is better if you quickly release the fish and reduce stress.

It's a little deeper issue because you have to consider how a fish is release, type of species , time of year , water temperature ect. Many walleye if not handled properly will die from stress several days after capture for example.
The law is the law and it is not going to change so education should be dircted towards how to fight and release fish.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 AM

The way I see it is, if there is no science to prove additional mortality on fish with barbs, but release is easier with out barbs, then how about a do what you wish rule with no fines for either way, barbed or no barbs.

Debate solved, no money grab for F&W, anglers are happier and maybe more people fishing to increase funds for F&W.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Anyone caught using barbed hooks should get 20 yrs in the electric chair, thats my 2 cents
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM

My take:

1. Hook size has a bigger impact on fish mortality than barbed/barbless.
2. I DO lose more fish on barbless hooks, but could lessen that some if I upped my fishing skills.
3. Barbless hooks will result in slightly less mortality for hooks of equal size.
4. I'm fine with the barbless rules. Just a bit more challenge, but that's fine.
5. I don't believe government brings in any laws (with the exception of tax laws) for the sole purpose of making money. Enforcement, admin, legal costs usually cost more than revenue generated.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
My take:

1. Hook size has a bigger impact on fish mortality than barbed/barbless.
Absolutely correct - the smaller the worse.2. I DO lose more fish on barbless hooks, but could lessen that some if I upped my fishing skills. You will always lose more but who cares, that isn't what the discussion is about.
3. Barbless hooks will result in slightly less mortality for hooks of equal size.
No statistical difference - been studied to death.
4. I'm fine with the barbless rules. Just a bit more challenge, but that's fine.
Me too, but it doesn't make sense. 5. I don't believe government brings in any laws (with the exception of tax laws) for the sole purpose of making money. Enforcement, admin, legal costs usually cost more than revenue generated. The admin on this law is nothing more then collections. The officers are out there anyway, now they can issue extra tickets.

Comments above are in red.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
[/COLOR]

Comments above are in red.
Well, the "no statistical difference" comment is at least arguable/debatable. Check this study and a few of the others it references.
http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/cg.../full/fsn067v1
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Unhappy

This is a feel good law, i do pinch the barbs when i go fishing, if it makes any difference i am not sure , i am not convinced.
The same applies to the ice fishing laws a short number of years ago, when the government more or less said i could not count and reduced my ice tipups from 3 to 2 setups.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM

thats great okatokian!
nice to see some real stats.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well, the "no statistical difference" comment is at least arguable/debatable. Check this study and a few of the others it references.
http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/cg.../full/fsn067v1
Here is the conclusion from your study:

In contrast, the use of barbless hooks results in a small reduction in unhooking time (so it was assumed that the mortality rate could be improved), but at the cost of a dramatically reduced cpue. Hence, in our case, we conclude that, unlike with the effect of hook size, the use of barbless hooks does not provide any significant advantage from a conservation perspective.

Here is the info out of wikipedia for goodness sake:

Most actual scientific studies regarding post release mortality have shown however that barbless hooks do not result in statistically significantly lower mortality rates than barbed hooks.[4]

As I said before - useless law designed to make money for the F&W team
Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 AM

darn that wikipedia, it's make everbody an expert!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Ban fishing, if it saves one fishes life it is worth it!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM

ya and the info off of it so so reliable. I cited wikipedia in a lab report once and my proff gave me a D because of it. i do use it it all the time though, so i shouldent bash it
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM

I see people fishing on L.S.L. using barbless hooks. Good idea in shallow water. I do see a lot of people fishing in 30+ feet and here the barbless is not so good. The barbless hook makes people pull the walleye up too fast, the fish is released with the air bladder in the mouth of the fish. 100% of these fish die, a barb might allow the angler to play the fish up slow enough that it might actually survive. The more resposible fishers do not angle in the deeper water but a great many do.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussel View Post
I see people fishing on L.S.L. using barbless hooks. Good idea in shallow water. I do see a lot of people fishing in 30+ feet and here the barbless is not so good. The barbless hook makes people pull the walleye up too fast, the fish is released with the air bladder in the mouth of the fish. 100% of these fish die, a barb might allow the angler to play the fish up slow enough that it might actually survive. The more resposible fishers do not angle in the deeper water but a great many do.
What a bunch of Horsesheet!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM

I see barbless laws as just another barrier in getting young people involved in enjoying the out-of-doors.
- another thing for them to worry about whether they're 'legal' or not
- another 'discretionary call' by a F & W officer as to when a pinched barb can be termed 'barbless
- makes landing a fish more difficult for the new angler

Now that the safety-zealots have made legal boating so complicated with overkill requirements, it's time to concentrate on making fishing so regulated it's only us hard-cores that bother to keep track of them all. No wonder kids spend all day in the basement in front of a video game.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussel View Post
Sorry you are completely clueless on this one, walleye take an hour to move from 30 to 15 feet. That is one long fight.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I see barbless laws as just another barrier in getting young people involved in enjoying the out-of-doors.
- another 'discretionary call' by a F & W officer as to when a pinched barb can be termed 'barbless

Now that the safety-zealots have made legal boating so complicated with overkill requirements, it's time to concentrate on making fishing so regulated it's only us hard-cores that bother to keep track of them all. No wonder kids spend all day in the basement in front of a video game.
Absolutely agree with you. That is why I hate laws like this.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 AM

No problem with barbless !!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

Barb less hooks is the way to go, i always de barb the hook, it usually just falls out when i catch a fish, all though some fish i catch with de barbed hooks can still bleed, it all depends where the fish is hooked, i do not see how it is a cash grab as the ticket is not that much and there is only 105 officers in Alberta to begin with, it all depends how you revive the fish, for example if you fish barb less or barbed when you catch a fish if you end up throwing it back in the water as i have seen several times this year that is obviously worst then fishing barbed, argument can go both ways i have heard that barb less hooks can penitrate deeper into the fishes mouth there for bleed more and so on, anyways good fishing, clean up after yourself.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Shawn are you reading every fishing post ever posted? just curious

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Shawn are you reading every fishing post ever posted? just curious
Yea i joined late so i am still catching up, i just joined in may
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM

that is dedication dude, there is a ton of good info in here, I should do the same thing this winter. lots of the more entertaining stuff has been chopped unfortunately

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

after you've killed a fish when doing catch and release due to a barbed hook, it's not hard to agree with debarbing your hooks. sure losing them sucks but it's also so much more rewarding when you catch them and then have a quick clean release.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
that is dedication dude, there is a ton of good info in here, I should do the same thing this winter. lots of the more entertaining stuff has been chopped unfortunately
Well maby I can get this forum alive again over the winter, will see what happens, yea a lot of these threads are going to be great to read over the winter time, tonns of information, i like reading on whats changed over the years in different fisheries around Alberta.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Last time I checked BC was barbless.
BC is not all barbless.

RD