Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM

id love to one day have the opportunity to shoot a pig. They are a devasting critter to livestock and crops. Lets get it under control now before its really to late
Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Would baiting them be the way to go considering how hard they are to hunt?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndWarrior View Post
Would baiting them be the way to go considering how hard they are to hunt?
Ounce the snow hits it will help. Last winter I made sure I checked with the local CO and he had no problem with it.
They move around ALOT and will travel pretty far between bedding and eating areas. If I see any more sign around here this winter I will try to bait them., but I haven't heard of any sightings yet. NEED SNOW.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
If you all want to hunt these pigs so bad, quit being so cheap and go straight to the source. You will waste way more money than the hunt costs on fuel looking for the pigs if you can even get permission if you do find them anyhow...

http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/

Earl and Debbie will make it all worthwhile as they are great and give you alot more than you think for what it will cost. One weekend of fun and great food for under $1,000 is tough to complain about. Bring a big group 5-10 people and you'll save even more money as Earl can work out a deal for you. I've hunted there for years and am really close with the family.

Sorry canned hunts not my thing...If you really want pigs just put the in time, scout, and ask questions. Took me 3-4 scouting trips to lock down an area. Now we wait for snow!!

The next comments are not meant to inflammatory (they probably will be anyway) but to stimulate conversation...

It is time to close all game farms in Alberta and destroy the fenced animals. My opinion was fortified this week on my way out to hunt, when I saw Rocky Mountain Sheep being farmed east of Edmonton on the N side of HWY 14 just before Lindbrook. Saddest thing I have seen when a stately creature like that is reduced to a fenced in, non-native habitat. With some investigation into this I have discovered that although the meat is tasty, but the rams are being farmed mostly for their Horns to be sold. As well on many game farms, the vegetation has been overgrazed and the land eroded. If the farms are located near any water source than water quality becomes an issue because of siltation and contamination. This also a problem in bad practiced beef farming but easier to fix as you can more easily move animals out of problem areas due to the fencing issue. If we can't stop game farms than at least new rules should be adopted for double fencing with a 6 foot buffer between, to reduce contact with our wild stock. Which by the way is one of the number one ways that CWD is contracted by our wild ungulates. At last, any damage caused by escaped game animals from these farms should fall back on the owners instead of the taxpayers. Just a few thoughts to stimulate healthy conversation.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
lemmotlow

Any wild swine around the narrows of shoale lake? near barrhead
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Sorry canned hunts not my thing...If you really want pigs just put the in time, scout, and ask questions. Took me 3-4 scouting trips to lock down an area. Now we wait for snow!!

The next comments are not meant to inflammatory (they probably will be anyway) but to stimulate conversation...

It is time to close all game farms in Alberta and destroy the fenced animals. My opinion was fortified this week on my way out to hunt, when I saw Rocky Mountain Sheep being farmed east of Edmonton on the N side of HWY 14 just before Lindbrook. Saddest thing I have seen when a stately creature like that is reduced to a fenced in, non-native habitat. With some investigation into this I have discovered that although the meat is tasty, but the rams are being farmed mostly for their Horns to be sold. As well on many game farms, the vegetation has been overgrazed and the land eroded. If the farms are located near any water source than water quality becomes an issue because of siltation and contamination. This also a problem in bad practiced beef farming but easier to fix as you can more easily move animals out of problem areas due to the fencing issue. If we can't stop game farms than at least new rules should be adopted for double fencing with a 6 foot buffer between, to reduce contact with our wild stock. Which by the way is one of the number one ways that CWD is contracted by our wild ungulates. At last, any damage caused by escaped game animals from these farms should fall back on the owners instead of the taxpayers. Just a few thoughts to stimulate healthy conversation.
If it's the game farm I am thinking of he has been around for years and has raised mule and whitetail deer, elk, buffalo though never seen sheep there.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Default Boar hunting with Dogos

Does anyone (or know of anyone) wild boar hunt with dogs in Alberta? I just bought a Argentine Dogo and I'm very interested in teaching it how to boar hunt, however we don't have wild boar in the Yukon
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

My neighbor's wild boars escaped and one of the friggen sow's decided to set up house with the piglets in a little 30 acre piece of bush behind the house. The boars were rooting around within 100 yards of the house.

These animals were extricated in short order.

I would like to suggest that one use a 30-06 and greater to kill one of these animals, especially a boar.

These wild pigs, especially the boars, have a cartilaginous carapace right behind the head, and you need something with shocking power to take them down.

The cartilage is not as thick as between the ears of a male mountain sheep, but it comes pretty close.

Anyways, a retired new Albertan from Austria who lives several miles from the farm smoked selected portions of the sows and boars.

The meat is a bit sweet, but is quite tasty, especially with cheese, crackers, light barley based beverages, and Shnaaps.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnhard View Post
Yes there are lots of hogs around the mayerthorpe area. Most all the farmers that have had problems with them are more than happy to give permission to hunt them. There is no regulation to hunting them. Its anytime of the year.
As was said before, they are not easy to get, when they get any pressure at all they turn very nocturnal. Also as was said they like the thickest nastiest bush they can find. If you attempt to go after them in the woods I would suggest 12ga/ slugs. If any one is going through whitecourt, stop at the stoney creek hunting store, they have a photo of a boar killed around mayerthorpe you will not beleive how big it is.. somewhere around 900lbs.
I shot that hog in the pic at stoney creek, I would post a pic if I new how?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM

this the one you meant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hog.jpg (33.3 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by houndsmen; 01-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Being from Texas I have seen the fun/ruin of hogs. As a hunter, I love having them around with the ability to hun them year around. As a family of farmers and ranchers they destroy crops, hay fields and equipment (trying dropping a front end off in their ruts). Once you have them, you have them forever!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSpike View Post
Then don't bit2h when they tear up you garden or crops or chew up newborn calves. And don't expect compensation (where do you think it comes from)....DAM that attitude of your ****es me off. I grew up on a farm and we let anyone who asked hunt. In 20 years, no one ever left a gate open or shot like a mad man. Only an a22h0le would do that, AND he would not have to be a hunter....have had gates left open and that happen from neighboring farmers and real estate speculators (the ones with the slick back hair and god complex).

I grew up on a farm and your attitude embar***** me.
Before you are to embarrassed and offended by his attitude you should read this

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1083655
Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 AM

"It was the last straw for the Wilsons: this season was the worst they’ve yet had, with their pet killed,thousands of hunters trespassing and shooting on their property without permission,"

Give me a break. Either they lied through their teeth or the paper wrote that number in to sensationalize the story. I hate trespassers with a passion, but in the same token it is hard to take the side of the leasee when blatent lies are told so as to attempt to put more controls on the land.

Lets do some rudimentary math here. There was a mean average of 96 hunting days (this includes archery) Divide that by 2 thousand trespassers (she said thousands which is plural not singular) that means that by her statement there were 21 trespassers every day of the season for the complete hunting season.Their property would have looked like Calaway park with loaded guns for crying out loud.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Granted that was obviously an exageration but he shot a domestic animal, from a vehicle, on her property with her there and then tried to deny it.

I also personally know many farmers out where I live (Drayton Valley) that nolonger let hunters on their land because of the disrespect that was shown (gates left open, driving across crops, etc.)

My point is just that, even thought most hunters are respectful, there are quite a few idiots out there and being offended by someone pointing that out seems like denying the problem.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Too Funny - Quotes From The Article

“A year from now, that little girl would have been running around in the grass with that pig.” Really?????????? Yeah, I let my kids rolling around with pigs.

"Jason Wilson earns part of his living as a hunting guide." So we know where his vested interests are aligned with and what is competing with that.

" notices fresh tire tracks in the snow. He hasn’t been up this way since the snowfall last weekend; someone else clearly has. A “No Trespassing” sign that was once here" Hmmm. Wonder why? Posting leased land and seeing tire tracks after the snow fall.....doubt the cattle are still on the lease.....but the control issue is still there.

"Much of this region is Crown-owned, but leased to ranchers for cattle, on the condition that they allow hunters access to it -- for free" Thats a funny word, FREE, at the end of that sentence.....wonder what is really the issue.....is it that that access is.......FREE. Oh and notice,,,much is Crown-owned on condition.......now where is my No Tresspassin Sign gone to.

"Often the biggest impact is on ranchers themselves: a herd of elk, 500 strong, breaking into the haystack pens can gobble up a season’s supply of feed"......Now what could be a solution?????? Hmmmmmm. Oh yeah, a No Tresspassing Sign to stop hunters accessing crown land for free while the hubby goes off to work guiding hunters for hunts that are Not Free.

"elbowing his cattle" Yep. Second most popular pasttime of hunters just behind cow tipping.

Are you trying to make Mikespike's arguement for him by posting this article. Or are you doing it sarcastically....because if you think this article defends the "Pay for Access" crowd or those that have a vested interest in limiting access, your doing a poor job. If your on the side of paid access, you should talk to boss.rooster
Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

No I am not in favor of paid access. I just used the article to highlight that a yahoo did drive up to their land and shoot a domestic animal. Pretending that these guys don't exist and that all hunters follow the rules is counter productive.

As an aside I used to work in a vet clinic and pot bellied pigs are a very popular house pet. They are little pig that is supposed to be very friendly. Not a pet I would choose but who am I to tell that little girl it didn't matter because it isn't a dog or a cat.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames30-378 View Post
If you ever get a chance to go,,,try it youll love it. they are a tuff animal.
mine weighed 460 lb's. and it was average i was told. the real life tusks are bigger than the mount.

Attachment 7161

Attachment 7162

Attachment 7163
Thats an awesome pig . I shot a spotted one in the U.S.he was 350lb .I had as much fun hunting them as anything. Im going to get an canada pig someday.I have heard we have them around northern B.C.But I havent seen any . Some guy in Talor has some penned up and charges $1 per pound but thats not hunting its buchering.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Boars

What kind of caliber is recommend for a boar?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado7 View Post
What I found strange is that there is ZERO tracking of these animals. As a farmer you do not need to register or even keep count of how many you have!
They should have chipped em.

Thing that drives me crazy is the gov't and farmers want em gone but you can't set up a stand over bait and illuminate with red light.

Why are we applying the usual laws that apply to hunting...to pest iradication to protect the environment and the ag industry?

It's as if SRD want these things to develop into just another "hunting opportunity".

And before I get flamed...there are places in Canada where for instance racoons can be night hunted....just because it isn't acceptable for deer hunting doesn't mean it would be wrong in every instance.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry cowboy View Post
what kind of caliber is recommend for a boar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim with 3 hogs.JPG (147.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 PM

.50 BMG at least, why chance it with anything else
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Wild boars in AB....

Hi guys,
I"m really interested in hunting those boars. Since I'm living in the southern part of AB (region of Calgary), I'd like to ask, if anybody has connections to farmers or how to get addresses of farmers who want to get "the job done".
My freezer is getting empty again.
I really would appreciate a private message, if somebody has a connection.
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MAD TRACKER View Post
How far north do these pig's go. I live in Grande Prairie and just wondering where to go. My freezer is getting low and I wouldnt mind trying a boar out for taste.
A co-worker got one just west of sturgeon lake a few years back. I hear they are scarce, but there are a few less then an hour drive from you.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 AM

Default Wild boar in sundre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicanada View Post
Hi guys,
I"m really interested in hunting those boars. Since I'm living in the southern part of AB (region of Calgary), I'd like to ask, if anybody has connections to farmers or how to get addresses of farmers who want to get "the job done".
My freezer is getting empty again.
I really would appreciate a private message, if somebody has a connection.
Thanks a lot!!!

Same here! I keep hearing about sundre but no one can seem to verify it. I'm guessing populations are decreasing a lot or they are disappearing into the deep back woods I assume. Why isn't fish and wildlife on this?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Fish and Wildlife has been on it but it's not really their department. It's also not nearly the issue it is in the States. I would also hazard a guess that there is predation on them, by bears, cougars, etc.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up

Ditto! I've heard hunting boars is a blast! Any leads, please message me as well!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Hunters and Farms: For MikeSpike

Your post & disclaimer begs a few questions before you chastise WolfKiller and become so indignant. Did you grow up on a real farm as opposed to a hobbie farm or an over-sized acreage farm? I was born, raised, & spent half my life on a real farm - grain & beef. Rural area's are changing all the time, small & medium sized farms are almost nonexistent as large cooporations or investment firms are swallowing up a lot of land. When I was growing up our neighbors were all farmers as opposed to having John Doe who build's a house on a quarter or smaller acreage to get out of the city. Our family always let our neighbors hunt on our land because, I (we) also hunted on their land. Your right not all city slickers are poor ambassadors when it comes to hunting in rural areas. However, the reason I asked what kind of farm you grew up on was because from a kid & onward it wasn't uncommon after hunting season to have to close the gates, or fix the snipped fence lines, or fix the fence when some genious's pulled out all the staples then re-staped all 4 lines to the bottom of the fence posts to drive over it with a truck. How many hours of fixing fence have you put in throughout your life time? Also for posted pasture with cattle, we never found neighbors in there, but over the years we did find a good handful of anonymous city slickers trying to hunt in the posted pasture land full of our cattle. And our neighbors also put up with the same kind of problems, so I really don't think it's a distorted or out of proportion "beef" for a lot of landowners/farmers to be leery of city slicker hunters, as WolfKiller had stated.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up

was hunting by Mayerthorpe last year and a friends dad seen about half a dozen down the road from where he lived. so we loaded up and found there tracks but the little buggers where long gone. some day i hope to get some hog meat in the freezer.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Haven't heard much about the bergan hogs lately the got shot up pretty bad last year any one seen any no need for location just wondering of they are still there
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Default canned hunts

In the early 80's I went with a guy as an observer for wild boar near Marathorpe.It involved a 5 minute walk followed by a speedy execution.The boar had no fear of man just posed and dropped.The meat was like eating a football and stunk the house up cooking it.Likely a 100 lb pig would be better table fare.