Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Pheasant 2018

The rain stopped and the dog was anxious to go, so we headed out to Daysland for a trip. I was amazed to see no vehicles on the East side, and only one on the South. As I put my boots on I heard a few shots, which was a good sign, so we headed off way to the north to give the dog some exercise, and not limit out too soon. After about a half hour, we headed back towards the release area, and in about fifteen minutes, the dog pointed four roosters, two of which flushed in heavy cover, allowing no shot, but the other two presented easy shots at around twenty yards. I did hear seven or eight other shots, and saw at least one other bird killed, but I was actually surprised that there weren't more hunters on a holiday.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:04 PM

I was out Sunday at south plains. I don't have a dog but spent 2 hours just walking trying to flush something. Couple other hunters were there with dogs but I did not hear any shots except when a flock of geese flew over head. Was a nice walk even though did not get anything. Maybe when I get back for my 7 days of work I'll have better luck.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJay View Post
I was out Sunday at south plains. I don't have a dog but spent 2 hours just walking trying to flush something. Couple other hunters were there with dogs but I did not hear any shots except when a flock of geese flew over head. Was a nice walk even though did not get anything. Maybe when I get back for my 7 days of work I'll have better luck.

While you can find pheasants without a dog, your odds are not great. All of the birds we found today, were in the brush, without a dog, I would have walked by, and likely had no idea that they were there.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While you can find pheasants without a dog, your odds are not great. All of the birds we found today, were in the brush, without a dog, I would have walked by, and likely had no idea that they were there.
I was out last year and was able to flush 4 by myself. Mind you I'd love to have a dog and go but current work life does not allow for that. Unless I can meat up and go with someone who has a dog I guess it's take a walk and hope for the best for now lol
Old 09-03-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyJay View Post
I was out last year and was able to flush 4 by myself. Mind you I'd love to have a dog and go but current work life does not allow for that. Unless I can meat up and go with someone who has a dog I guess it's take a walk and hope for the best for now lol
If you hit a fresh release, when the birds are still in the open fields, your odds increase dramatically of flushing birds without a dog. I have seen them running in the fields and on the trails, right after a release.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Great photo. Nothing happier than a dog with a job!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM

How has hopewell been lately?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Griff?

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3835804]The rain stopped and the dog was anxious to go, so we headed out to Daysland for a trip. I was amazed to see no vehicles on the East side, and only one on the South. As I put my boots on I heard a few shots, which was a good sign, so we headed off way to the north to give the dog some exercise, and not limit out too soon. After about a half hour, we headed back towards the release area, and in about fifteen minutes, the dog pointed four roosters, two of which flushed in heavy cover, allowing no shot, but the other two presented easy shots at around twenty yards. I did hear seven or eight other shots, and saw at least one other bird killed, but I was actually surprised that there weren't more hunters on a holiday.

Elkhunter, Is that a Griff that you are hunting with? Did you train it yourself. I am on a wait list for this coming June for a puppy. I would like to here more about where you acquired yours and any training tips when you have time. A PM would be good.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=caddisman;3842593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The rain stopped and the dog was anxious to go, so we headed out to Daysland for a trip. I was amazed to see no vehicles on the East side, and only one on the South. As I put my boots on I heard a few shots, which was a good sign, so we headed off way to the north to give the dog some exercise, and not limit out too soon. After about a half hour, we headed back towards the release area, and in about fifteen minutes, the dog pointed four roosters, two of which flushed in heavy cover, allowing no shot, but the other two presented easy shots at around twenty yards. I did hear seven or eight other shots, and saw at least one other bird killed, but I was actually surprised that there weren't more hunters on a holiday.

Elkhunter, Is that a Griff that you are hunting with? Did you train it yourself. I am on a wait list for this coming June for a puppy. I would like to here more about where you acquired yours and any training tips when you have time. A PM would be good.
Drahthaar, but he has so much facial hair, that some people mistake him for a Griff. My pup came from Vom Slaney Vale, who I can't recommend highly enough. I know other people that have pups from the same female, and all have turned out to be excellent hunting dogs , and excellent house dogs. I belong to Prairie Vista NAVHDA and the club helped me a great deal with the training. Members of our club do have some excellent Griffs, but I don't know which breeders they came from.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

A solid morning Monday at Genesee. Flushed five, took home three between the three of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 PM

Got out to Hopewell this week
Dog put up 3 rooster I missed 2 and got 1
Seeing the dog working on rooster running around was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Got out to Hopewell this week
Dog put up 3 rooster I missed 2 and got 1
Seeing the dog working on rooster running around was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Good looking dog, your dog looks like he is proud to do what he does
Old 09-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Had my pup out at Bigelow last week in the snow! He's doing great!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrem597x1977 View Post
Had my pup out at Bigelow last week in the snow! He's doing great!

Where’s your Griffon out of?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Where’s your Griffon out of?
Razor's edge by beaver lodge

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM

After a couple of seasons looking for wild rooster population we found some
Great day was had by all,Big difference in release site birds and wild.
my dog was knackered.crafty little buggers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181020_170342.jpg (61.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 PM

We are down south right now hunting We went after wild birds and Sharptails today.
4 hens , no roosters flushed, about 15 sharpies in two bunches with a few staggles
Cat
Old 09-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Razor's edge by beaver lodge