Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Tapered Leader

Do I really need tapered leaders? How much will a non tapered affect my newbie casting?
All I've ever used is tapered.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM

its like driving a pinto compared to corvette, the difference is night and day, your catch results will also be alot higher with a tapered leader, learn how to tie on tippet and your leaders well last a long time
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM

I believe tapered is pretty important for casting dries since it turns over better when casting and makes it land nice. I like the already made tapered leaders you can get for dries. For nymphing and streamers I just use straight mono maxima leader material (6lb to 8lb for trout) and tie the flies directly to that (6-12 ft depending one what I'm fishing with). To be honest I don't bother with tippet but I'm no expert. I still catch fish haha! I can see why tippet is good so you aren't cutting into your leader I just haven't really tried it.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM

I've used tippets since day one, saves on shortening the tapered leader.
And thanks for the tips, I'll stick with tapered.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM

try a furled leader and you'll wonder what the hell just happened
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
try a furled leader and you'll wonder what the hell just happened
I made some, cast like a dream but easier for the fish to see. Mono one's create lots of facet's to reflect light and thread one's, which cast the best, are easily seen. Maybe I didn't use a long enough tippet, or the fish are easily spooked?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM

I've never used a knotless tapered leader in 40 years. I'm thinking it might not be necessary.
Dry flies
3ft of 20lb, 3ft of 12lb, 3+ft of 6lb mono. Go catch fish

Nymphing:
8ft of 12-15lb mono, add some smaller stuff if you need to

Lake leader for indicator fishing:
10-15ft of 15-20lb mono, 5ft of 12lb mono, few feet of 10lb fluorocarbon to the fly(s). Go catch fish

It doesn't have to be complicated

Last edited by goldscud; 06-12-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I've never used a knotless tapered leader in 40 years. I'm thinking it might not be necessary.
Dry flies
3ft of 20lb, 3ft of 12lb, 3+ft of 6lb mono. Go catch fish

Nymphing:
8ft of 12-15lb mono, add some smaller stuff if you need to

Lake leader for indicator fishing:
10-15ft of 15-20lb mono, 5ft of 12lb mono, few feet of 10lb fluorocarbon to the fly(s). Go catch fish

It doesn't have to be complicated
X2 I totally agree

I dont think you need tapered to nymph....I find it nicer in just about all aspects but you can easily cast mono with a float and some wet flies and have very little trouble casting. I think the lb depends greatly on what youre fishing though
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned

It doesn't "have to be" complicated....but building leaders customized to the size and type of flies you'll be casting,the style of fishing(dries,nymphing,swinging wets and streamers etc.)will almost certainly improve your presentation,turnover,and so on.
There's tons of info and leader formulas to be found on the web,but as a general rule of thumb,think 60/20/20 as your butt/taper/tippet ratio.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default Good read!

Principles of leader design:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tip...t-leaders.html
Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Decent advice along w/ all others above.

No-one has mentioned the advanced surgeon's knot to tie the tippet to leader. So I will
Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 AM

Is "tippet" smaller than 6lb Maxima necessary for a #16 dry fly or any hook larger? Please explain the reason for any flowing water situation.

Stillwater situation. I've been using fluorocarbon for a number of years since it is harder for the fish to see. If they can't see it, why not use as heavy a breaking strength as possible. I haven't seen the need to go under 10lb even when chironomiding with #16s. Heavier leader lets you land fish much quicker.
What is your experience?

I streamer fished with 4ft of 15lb Maxima all spring and caught lots of fish in the Bow this spring. I'm not too convinced the fish are very leader shy in the Bow. When my buddies and I nymph with worm/stonefly in the Bow, none of us use anything under 12lb Maxima for leader. Somehow its worked for 25 years. I guess for tiny flies or pounded water, one could downsize a bit. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Maxima is thicker in diameter than other tippet materials pound for pound.For wutever reason,they designate their leader material in pound test rather than the "x" system used by other manufacturers?
6lb Maxima is equivalent in diameter to 1X tippet(.010")Which would be 7-8pm test?6lb tippet from most other mfrs would be sz 2-3X,or .008"-.009"?

The finer tippet you use(or can get away with using?)the more natural your presentation will be with dries,ie;less drag,less "bulky" line etc.
Flouro is less visible UNDERWATER and that's what it's meant for.Flouro sinks,so if your using it with dries,again,you are creating drag and the flouro is trying to sink your fly.Sinking may not be a big concern with larger dry flies,but the flouro also creates a visible dimple where it penetrates the surface film near the fly.It probly doesn't make a whole helluva lot of difference to any but the pickiest of fish....but that's the theory to it?

As for matching the appropriate size tippet to fly,the general rule of thumb is to divide the fly size by 3.....so a sz 16 caddis/5X tippet for example.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Well, I guess I missed the general rule class. Never used tippet before. I under stand why I can land fish so quickly now (what am I thinking). I guess I'll have to search out some pickier fish to join the class. We used to use 10lb mono in the 70's (when it was twice as thick as now). I need to get in on a trico hatch where I can get educated by the fish that "doing it wrong" doesn't work. My rule has always been "if you can get it through the eye of the hook...use it".
I've perverted a few purist so far.
Thanks for responding Grinr. I'm looking forward to someday using your rule of thumb on some flies smaller than 16. I'll probably just use 4lb mono though

I only use fluoro for bobber fishing in lakes. Just the last few feet of the leader. I believe it helps.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM

Can't imagine the need for 10lb. I find six pound impossible to break unless the rod goes straight.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM

I found that I was snapping off fish over 5lb with 8lb Vanish fluor. No problems with the 10lb stuff though. Maybe I had weak stuff. Fish don't seem to care
Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Fwiw, I've been using a 5X tapered leader with 4lb vanish fluro for a tippet. Might go to 4x and 6lb as I seem to lose a few bugs here and there occasionally.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 PM

These things break line

Old 06-15-2013, 08:37 PM

Nice fish!
I managed to land a 29"er last season on 4lb line, took a while though. Another reason why I'm thinking heavier line is to net and release quicker.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 PM

Exactly. The fish don't care about 10lb fluoro (evidence from today), but you do them a dis-service if you fight them forever. Try it and see if it works for you.
You certain can land fish on light tippet...but what is the motivation for doing it
if it is not necessary? I'd rather get the fish in, and off on it's way as soon as possible.

Congrats on a 29" fish. That from BH?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
These things break line

Nice fish!

Thomas Sowell