Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Default Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler vs thumlers b

Looking for opinions from people already using either of these units.

Thumlers -http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5895/thumlers-model-b-tumbler

vs

Frankford -http://www.cabelas.ca/product/66173/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-tumbler-kit

What do you guys think?

Last edited by 1Heavyhitr; 09-24-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Frankford

I only have the Frankford one and it seems to be doing it's job just fine. There is a good bit of plastic on it (as in the majority) but its mechanism seems simple and robust enough.

I am pleased with mine so far.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Default Thumbler Tumbler

I have the Thumbler and find that it works great. I have been using it for a couple years now and have done over 10,000 cases. No problems at all.
I do like that it is metal....
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Thumler Model B

I have had no experience with the Frankford but I have been using the Thumler Model B since the late 1970's, approximately 38 years and the only thing I have ever replaced is belts and of course the medium. It doesn't see a lot of use these days but in the 80's and early 90's my wife and I were both competing in handgun competitions and I was averaging reloading 20,000 to 25,000 rounds a year so it has certainly stood the test of time.

One thing I find is I generally seem to tumble my brass longer than the times I see others claiming with their vibratory tumblers.

Although I have never used it the Thumler also provides the option of tumbling rocks in water should you desire.

Good Luck with the decision.
Phil
Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Are you guys using the stainless pins/water or walnut/corn? I'm curious as well as to how these shape up - especially with the stainless media. With the Frankford Arsenal tumblers, how long are you having to run (do you have to cycle the timer more than once)?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Default Thumbler Tumbler

I am using stainless media with Lemishine and Sunlight or Ivory dish detergent. I tumble for either 2 or 4 hours based on how dirty the brass is.(those are the settings on my timer)
I then put the brass in a fruit dehydrator for 1hr on high. They come out shiny and dry.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
Looking for opinions from people already using either of these units.

Thumlers -http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5895/thumlers-model-b-tumbler

vs

Frankford -http://www.cabelas.ca/product/66173/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-tumbler-kit

What do you guys think?
I have the Frankford Arsenal which you've linked in your post. It is a superb machine, cleans brass like none other that I've experienced. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 PM

Have the frankford. Can't really see a big difference except for price. You won't wear out the barrels on either one.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I have the Frankford Arsenal which you've linked in your post. It is a superb machine, cleans brass like none other that I've experienced. I'm very happy with mine.
I was originally leaning towards the Thumler. After a lil more research I'm going to grab the Frankford. I was originally put off by the all plastic construction but it looks "heavy duty enough" that you shouldn't wear it out. 30lbs capacity vs the thums 15, I like the screw on end caps + media sifter cap that comes in the kit vs the thums wing nut set up, FA has a built in timer, and the kit also comes with 5 pounds of stainless steel media... Its only $10 more for the FA. Thx for the input everyone!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

I think that you've made the right choice. I looked at the one from Cabella's. I don't like that the motor is external and that the frame is open, this could let water into the motor windings. Also, don't like the external belt drive. In the FA unit, everything is totally enclosed in plastic which is friendlier when water is involved. The plastic in the FA unit is thick, strong and durable and IMHO will give you better service. Besides, the FA also has a timer. Good choice.

Oh, and get yourself one of those on/off magnets from Princess Auto or Peavy Mart. Be sure that the external diameter of the magnet will fit into the end openings. Awesome for rerieving the stainless pins, which are magnetic BTW. Also, a plastic plastic sieve and a couple of small plastic buckets. When I'm done tumbling, I place my pins and spread them out on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil, shiny side up. Place it outside in the sun to dry your pins. Don't put them back in wet.

Last edited by gitrdun; 09-25-2015 at 09:45 AM.