Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
dodger

Default McGregor Lake, What the h#$*

Spent Wednesday on McGregor and the action was really good. BUT. All the Pike I caught were just little guys around 1-2lbs. The Walleye were fatter and longer and just bigger in general to all the Pike. I caught and released about fifty of these little Pike. I caught and released about 15 FAAAT Walleye.
Just some food for thought, do you think the natural balance in the lake is starting to change? Is there going to be a time to start keeping some Walleye out of McGregor? Or is this just people keeping the bigger Pike and the smaller ones need a season to catch up.
Always leave the Lake/Stream better than you found it. Please pick up some garbage
Old 05-18-2007, 07:33 AM
mjmalberta

Default mcgregor

hey there dodger i was at mcgregor on wednesday as well i managed to catch quite a few legal size fish near the drops i also took home a truck load of garbage its got to stop guys if it keeps hapening here the landowner will close it here the same as my fatherinlaw did on the other side of the drops
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
dodger

Default Re: mcgregor

Your rite on mjmalberta. Problem is that the people who toss there garbage will not change there attitude unless there put into a corner.
But when we are out with our kids and start showing them that leaving it better than you found it. This will start the process to pass on the knowledge. Hopefully we will be the majority and start gaining ground on this problem.
Small storey. I was at Travers and there was a group of teenagers partying it up pretty good. I could here the odd bottle being broken but could not see them actually doing it. So I walked up to there camp and instead of being confrontational I just started to pick up the pieces of broken glass. They came over and asked what I was doing and I explained that a month earlier my dog had cut her pad WIDE open here. So I was back here with my dog just cleaning up so everyone could be safe. They just stood there not knowing what to say. Then one of the girls started to cry and they just started to pick up everywhere. I was just leading by example.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
SNAPFisher

Guys, good on you! I hope that everyone that reads this thread can take up the same approach. I have done similar garbage pick up at the lakes I go to. Nice to hear others doing it as well.

Have a great long weekend and good fishing...even despite the weather
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 PM
drops at northend?

Default drops at northend?

I know the landowner. R.F. intials is that ur father inlaw? Other side is the B.R.I.D. Why people cant take thier garbage home with them ****es me off. Good on u dodger for shame them into cleaning up next time maybe they will think of their actions.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
mjmalberta

Default re fatherinlaw

yes its my fatherinlaws farm he will not let any fishermen or hunters on his land anymore because of the mess they leave and the ignorance of some driving on his land he doesnt bother to warn people anymore he takes licencse plt numbers pics and phones the police and fish n wildlife a perfect example of how a few ruined it for many
Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Okotokian

Quote:
Then one of the girls started to cry and they just started to pick up everywhere. I was just leading by example.
Good move. My wife is a teacher and knows how to deal with teens. When she comes across stuff like that, she never scolds or gets mad. That just gets them hostile. She just smiles, is friendly, and explains why they shouldn'd do what they do, asks them to help out... and they usually do.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 PM
dodger

Default Re: McGregor

Fished McGregor again today towards the south end. It was just like my first post, the Walleye were consistently bigger than the Pike plus I caught 2 Walleye to every Pike.
Action was very good considering the water was slightly murky.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 PM
willy

Default hey dodger

Were you fishin from shore ? I havent made it out yet usually try the the coulee 2 miles down west side or the canal.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 PM

I was trolling a five of diamonds all day with no slow periods.