Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default But I'm a walleye guy

Wow!! That's a lot of hardware. But as my wife is quick to point out, the biggest fish in my fishing life- with the notable exception of Northern Pike- were caught on a bait hook (size 4-12) with a small weight and maybe a float. Or a jig & minnow.

Lindy rigs have produced very large walleye and a single Siwash with a roe bag and tube float for salmon/ steelhead have been the most productive tackle in terms of size. Big pike will eat anything but the biggest in recent memory was hauled in using a Mustad slow-death hook with a Mack's Smiley blade and a dew worm.

Typically I go through 3 lbs. of jumbo leeches every season and many dozens of dew worms. That's about $240.00. Gasoline is another biggy.

Free
Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM

All I can say is when I die I hope my wife doesn't sell it all for what I told her i paid for it. Over 50 years of collecting tackle.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Agree with graybeard on this. Wife and I take video and pictures of everything we own every year and it is saved to a thumbdrive. I do my hunting and fishing,boating gear and tools myself, no need to talk money with her until I have to.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 PM

I've been downgrading for a few years now. I probably still have a couple hundred dollars worth of tackle... someday I hope to get back to what I started with as a kid: An assortment of Len Thompsons, a few jigs, and some basic terminal tackle for fishing bait, which is pretty much what I use for ice fishing these days.

Right now for open water I keep it to about 3 proven lures for each species as well as some basic live bait rigs. Spoons, Spinner baits, and Rattle baits for Pike. Jigs, trolling spinners, and crank baits for Walleye. And spoons, spinners, and flies (fished on a spinning rod) for trout. Not too many days I cant get fish in the boat with a fairly modest, but well chosen box of tackle.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-25-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

Grand in crankbaits alone
Old 04-26-2018, 10:25 AM

My tackle box is probably only worth a couple hundred dollars including the box itself. However my fly boxes are worth many hundreds of dollars!

BW
Old 05-04-2019, 08:06 AM

This was a great thread.......and a great reminder.

It is time to complete a documented inventory to protect yourself: $100 can quickly turn into $1,000....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:31 AM

My tackle is everywhere around the house, shop, trucks, and boat I have no clue what I have let alone how much it’s worth. I find brand new lures I forgot I have all the time

I may have an addiction
Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My tackle is everywhere around the house, shop, trucks, and boat I have no clue what I have let alone how much it’s worth. I find brand new lures I forgot I have all the time

I may have an addiction
You are not alone.....

Hi everyone, my name is graybeard and I have a fishing tackle addiction......The next meeting is Wednesday. Coffee and snacks will be provided.

As an addition to the meeting, a swap meet will be held after the meeting................

LMAO.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
That is one of the good things about fishing out of a kayak. You can only take a limited amount of gear with you so a guy only takes what he thinks there is a chance of using. When I buy new lures I look through my boxes to see what I can take out to make room for them and I usually end up giving them away.

Most guys with tons of gear are probably much like myself in that they still stick to a handful of lures most days out fishing. It is nice to have the extra options but they are not much use if all they do is sit in your tackle box.

I like to think of my collection as extensive but modest. I don't have spares for every lure but I can catch just about anything that swims. Here is a picture I took a while back giving an idea. Disgusting that such a small pile of tackle costs so much lol.

Funny part with the above picture is, if we all took pictures of our own open boxes and posted it , they all look the same. I think I have every hook that you have .
Old 05-04-2019, 06:26 PM

$5k in lures. Another $2k in rods and reels.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Shoulder check for wife.
Salmon gear = $1800
Trout gear = $2000
other gear = $4000
Collecting since 1982.
Rapala minnow collection alone is over $400
Might take advice and photo it all for insurance.
Then the rods and reels, whew.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Well after looking in this thread, I realized that I don't have anything! With that being said, I've only got 6 smaller boxes of misc tackle, but I've noticed that I only really use 5-15 lures/setups every outing, so I found that I bring all my tackle in the car to the lake, then take fill a smaller box with lures that match the conditions at the lake.