Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Default observations on different types of bird shot

Those that already know this will gleam nothing from it, but those that have not experienced shooting with plated shot may want to take notice!

While separating some pheasants and chukars today, in preparation for making some pies, I noticed something interesting about the different shot in the birds.
Some meat had a few #5 and #6 chilled lead, while other parts of the meat had 7 1/2 nickel plated lead in it - this was due to the fact that I hunt with friends that do not use nickel plated shot, but 7 1/2 is all I use for my pheasants, as well as my son uses it as well.

The interesting thing that I found was that the nickel shot was clean, and deeper than the larger, unplated shot.
The unplated shot also was coated with feather!
Now, I started using Nickel plated shot last year on the advice of my gun dealer, Will Bilozir, and simply took him at his word - he never steered me wrong before.

Will explained the unique quality of plated shot not balling up in feathers , thus tending to penetrate better, and also leaving a cleaner wound channel.
I did notice it after our pointer party last August, but after very close examination today, I was surprised at just how much of a difference there is between plated and unplated shot !!

Although it is more expensive, my observations today most certainly proved to me that it is worth it to use plated shot on birds.
Cat
Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 PM

thanks for the info cat, it's something you wouldn't normally think about, but when you do it makes sense, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM

I have been using copper plated shot for years for this reason.I hope to locate some Fiocchi shells with nickel plated shot to try next fall.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Cat, what do you think about using steel shot for upland birds? I haven't been able to find anything smaller than #4 but I would think if you kept your shots to 25 yards or less with a cylinder or skeet choke, it might do the trick. It would probably eliminate the wadded up feathers around the shot that grosses some people out.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Cat, what do you think about using steel shot for upland birds? I haven't been able to find anything smaller than #4 but I would think if you kept your shots to 25 yards or less with a cylinder or skeet choke, it might do the trick. It would probably eliminate the wadded up feathers around the shot that grosses some people out.
Yup, #4 is the smallest I've seen as well.
I have used my 20 for geese and ducks with Federal Premium steel 2 3/4" #4's with great results, so pheasants would not be a problem at all with it.
I'm not sure if they make steel in a smaller size, but I would not hesitate using it for upland.
HOWEVER, instead of using an open choke, I would suggest using the tighter chokes, because of the chaotic effect that choking has on steel.
The tighter chokes actually make steel open up the pattern because it does not compress, as opposed to lead, which compresses and tightens up in the
pattern!
Cat
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Those that already know this will gleam nothing from it, but those that have not experienced shooting with plated shot may want to take notice!

While separating some pheasants and chukars today, in preparation for making some pies, I noticed something interesting about the different shot in the birds.
Some meat had a few #5 and #6 chilled lead, while other parts of the meat had 7 1/2 nickel plated lead in it - this was due to the fact that I hunt with friends that do not use nickel plated shot, but 7 1/2 is all I use for my pheasants, as well as my son uses it as well.

The interesting thing that I found was that the nickel shot was clean, and deeper than the larger, unplated shot.
The unplated shot also was coated with feather!
Now, I started using Nickel plated shot last year on the advice of my gun dealer, Will Bilozir, and simply took him at his word - he never steered me wrong before.

Will explained the unique quality of plated shot not balling up in feathers , thus tending to penetrate better, and also leaving a cleaner wound channel.
I did notice it after our pointer party last August, but after very close examination today, I was surprised at just how much of a difference there is between plated and unplated shot !!

Although it is more expensive, my observations today most certainly proved to me that it is worth it to use plated shot on birds.
Cat
Interesting,I just learned something New! Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

I would rather have high antimony shot over plated shot. Ask yourself, what is the percentage antimony in this nickle plated shot? 2-3 percent antimony? Now lets put some nickle on that shot to replace the hardness of the low antimony content, and sell it at nice price.

Will is a good guy to deal with.