Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Why I Remember: WWI and My Grandfather

Like to thank Dick284 for his previous thread on why he remembers. That thread struck a chord with me and decided why not post about my grandfather.

My grandfather passed away when I was 8 months old and my dad said he did not talk much about his service in WWI. Thru what my dad relayed to me and what I got from the National Archives I have determined the following.

Grandpa enlisted in April 1916 in Saskatchewan with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He was sent to England in 1917 and then over to France in Nov 1917. On March 12, 1918 he was wounded in the left thigh by shrapnel from what I assume was a whiz bang by Hill 70 near Lens France. He was honorably discharged in March 1919 at Regina, Saskatchewan.

Just some pics, I am no photo expert so I apologize for some of them not being all they can be.

I assume this was part of my grandfather's kit when wounded. Tempted to take a sample to a DNA place and see what they say.

Shrapnel removed from his wound.

WWI Shaving Kit.

Cigarette case. From what my dad told me, but I can not confirm it, the case was "rusted" like this from a gas attack.

This pin is the size of a quarter and says on the back, "Penalty for misuse 500 dollars or 6 months imprisonment"

Finally, his armband from Saskatchewan Veterans Civil Security Corp.

Have other stuff but will stop there. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks for sharing. I hope all Canadians are remembering the great men and women that served and are serving.
It's cool when we can relate with our own family tales