Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Italy 1944

Major John K. Mahony - Victoria Cross
Major Mahony and his company were ordered to establish the initial bridgehead over the river. This was accomplished in conjunction with the tanks of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) and for five hours the company maintained its position in the face of enemy fire and attack until the remaining companies and supporting weapons were able to reinforce them. Early in the action Major Mahony was wounded in the head and twice in the leg, but he refused medical aid and continued to direct the defence of the bridgehead. The enemy saw that this officer was the "soul of the defence" and consequently made him their particular target.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Major John K. Mahony - Victoria Cross
Major Mahony and his company were ordered to establish the initial bridgehead over the river. This was accomplished in conjunction with the tanks of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) and for five hours the company maintained its position in the face of enemy fire and attack until the remaining companies and supporting weapons were able to reinforce them. Early in the action Major Mahony was wounded in the head and twice in the leg, but he refused medical aid and continued to direct the defence of the bridgehead. The enemy saw that this officer was the "soul of the defence" and consequently made him their particular target.
Another good story thanks Reece.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Also serving in Italy was my Grandfather Ernie pictured in the right of this photo with his brother Walter. Grandpa was a radioman in a tank. Uncle Wally was late to the war due to his youth and didn't see combat, but took part in the significant administrative mop-up. Wally was assigned to accompany the senior brass as he was one of the fastest teletypists in the Commonwealth, he is the last surviving of the brothers:

Their other brother, my Uncle Leo, is pictured to the far right in this photo that I was happily surprised to find in a scrolling banner photo on a website dedicated to the First Special Service Force. Uncle Leo won a US Silver Star for actions he personally took in storming & neutralizing a Nazi machine gun nest that was mowing down the men under his command at Monte Cassino.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Lot of talk about D day and the subsequent invasion of northern Europe, but some of the nastiest hardest fighting occurred after the Allies invaded Italy from North Africa. Every inch was contested by the Germans in some of the rugged terrain imaginable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian..._(World_War_II)

Grizz
Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Recce's current reference to the Victoria Cross has surely brought up a few memories for Albertans whose family settled the province.

A lot of people who had families fighting for the Allies also had family fighting against the Allies.

A touchy subject, yes, yet nonetheless a fact.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM

One thing about Canada's fight in Italy, one of their main opponent were the Fallschirmjager. They weren't hard line Nazi's for the most part, but intensely loyal Germans fighting for their country. It's something one can understand.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 PM

got my cap badge polished beret cleaned for nov11

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
got my cap badge polished beret cleaned for nov11

is your gravy cup ready to go?, just kidding
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM

I have an interesting connection to the Canadian troops in Italy... My grandfather was a refugee camp guard in Italy during and after the war and subsiquently immigrated to canada shortly after with his brother. I actually wrote a grade 12 social paper on the Canadian troops in Italy as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 PM

My paternal grandmother had a brother die in Italy. Very sad was just a young fella.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM

My dad was in the LER's from just after the landings at Messina, right through to VE Day, and then some.

Every Christmas Eve when we were dishing out the tourtière and clam chowder, I'd ask him what he had for Christmas Eve dinner in 1943. Cold pork roast, and a orange and a bottle of Carling beer.
He was in the line in Ortona at this time, supper was served to him by the Padre, in the tradition of the officers serving dinner to the enlisted men at Christmas.

This about the only story he ever told a out the Battle of Ortona. When I did some reading about the battle ( Zhukle's "Ortona") I was shocked to see that it was my dads company who got ambushed on the first failed attempt to enter the town... It's amazing he came out of that maelstrom un scathed.

I miss my dad, as he left us back in 2010.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 AM

we will remember