Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Golden Retriever Breeders

I just had to put down my golden retriever at only 6.5 years old. Liver cancer took her from me too early. Somewhere in the next year I'm going to be looking for another golden pup. I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Alberta and any experiences you have had with them. Ideally I'm looking at the health history of the pedigree to try and reduce the chances of cancer, hip displaysia, elbows, etc.

I'm looking for a companion and family dog and don't really need to pay for the hunting pedigree as I wouldn't be training the dog for this.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Calgary but would be willing to travel throughout the province for the right breeder and right dog.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM

Sorry for your loss Tip...our ten year old choc lab had a fever and no appetite for the past month...after several tests she has been diagnosed with Acute canine leukemia...this is after she powered through two acl surgeries in her life. Great bird dog and family member...now just trying to keep her feeling better ( steroids helping but only interim) till we figure out the best time to move on and it will be soon. Don't know of any golden breeders but I am sure someone on this site will step up. Chin up and carry on....sk
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Not sure if this would interest you but the Town of Edson had a 1 year old neutered male ( I think?) looking for a home on their rescue page the other day. Most of these places have a minimal charge to help them recover the cost of neuter/spay and health shots etc. so it shouldn't be expensive.

Just thought I would pass it along.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Hi TippyCanoe,

I'm located in Calgary as well. I ended up getting my yellow lab from Hobo Creek Labradors in Vanderhoof BC.

They are run by the parents of a friend of mine. We absolutely loved the service we got. From birth until we received him, we got emails every day with pictures of the puppies.

http://www.hobocreek.com/index.html is the website.

That's Hunter, my dog.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Last edited by wwbirds; 01-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Goldens

www.grcab.com is the Golden Retriever Club of Alberta They have breeder lists and tons of info
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Pretty empty around the house for my family.

I also appreciate the leads on breeders many of you provided.

I will start to follow-up on those shortly.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM

That sucks man. Our family had to put down our chocolate lab jack when he was only 7 due to cancer. Ive never seen my 6'3 big ukrainian father weep until that night at the vet ER. i feel for you.

Same as when people pass on, celebrate the life of pup and try not to kick yourself for not doing this and not doing that. I will say its pretty damn powerful when your canine companion passes on. Just knowing the devotion they had for you, and unfortunately most owners dont really clue into that fact till after theyre gone, myself included.

Best of luck to you. Id recommend a cold six pack and some dude time celebrating the pup! We had a ton of laughs when me and my old man and brothers did it!