Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Blue Jays 2018!!!

And they're off!
Prediction: 81-81 .500 season. Donaldson and Happ traded at the deadline for prospects. Guerrero and Bichette tear the cover off the ball in double A but don't see major league time this year.
Hoping I'm wrong and they somehow steal a wildcard spot. They have the assets but not enough depth to make it happen. Still stoked for the season to kick off.
GJG
Old 03-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Not a big baseball fan, but it would be nice to see them beat the Yankees.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

If they stay healthy they should be close to the playoffs. If they don’t, they need a different trainer.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Not a big baseball fan, but it would be nice to see them beat the Yankees.
I’d love to see anyone and everyone beat the Yankees. Can’t stand them or those turds wearing their flat billed hats.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:16 PM

Not the start I was hoping for with an error and a home run in the first inning to give the Yankees a 2 run lead. Was 5-0 last I heard.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Oh my....not the start they wanted....but hey maybe a ninth inning made run and win

Where are the Expos.......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2018, 04:40 PM

I figured today was tough. Happ the lefty vs the beast righties in that lineup. Not to mention starting with facing Severino. Tomorrow will be a good day. Still too many K's for my liking. Hope that's not a theme this year
Old 03-29-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I figured today was tough. Happ the lefty vs the beast righties in that lineup. Not to mention starting with facing Severino. Tomorrow will be a good day. Still too many K's for my liking. Hope that's not a theme this year
Beast righties is right...6'8" standing on a mound starring you down with a potential 100 mph pitchmommy

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Banned

Why is Donaldson playing? Should be dhing at the most. Obviously he can’t throw. Why risk getting hurt worse? Very BAD managing.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
If they stay healthy they should be close to the playoffs. If they don’t, they need a different trainer.
they fired there training staff over the winter, maybe now they can keep some of there out of shape players on the field.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:15 PM

This team doesn’t stand a chance in that division with their very mediocre roster. They would be lucky to be in contention for a wildcard spot.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 PM

First game of the season... and they're out of the play offs... lol glad my teams first game was postponed lol Keep the dream alive for a bit longer.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

Let's hope they do well this season!!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 AM

It is time for an injury free season for the Jays....Xing my fingers...

NYY has a stud line up but a couple of injuries, will knock a little of their swagger out..... Xing my fingers...

I think my hands are starting cramp....hahaha

GO JAYS GO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
It is time for an injury free season for the Jays....Xing my fingers...

NYY has a stud line up but a couple of injuries, will knock a little of their swagger out..... Xing my fingers...

I think my hands are starting cramp....hahaha

GO JAYS GO
Donaldson looks hurt already. That may be why they didn't offer him an extension. I'm leery of that as well. Best player in the AL when he's healthy but he obviously struggles with that. They need to get rid of their turf and training staff and get competent people who can get these guys firing right. Too many soft tissue injuries on this team tells me they need a different approach to training possibly
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Thumbs up

Canada's team.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Smoak that

Grand slam, Jays win,

Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Grand slam, Jays win,
Shocking moment hey? Can't believe they split that series. Good on them. Smoak hitting behind Donaldson is crucial for success this year. Pillars off to a good start. Hope he can keep swinging that bat and swiping bags.

My .500 prediction is off to a flying start
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Eating a little crow although it's early. Great start by the boys in blue!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Hopefully they can maintain. Phenomenal start though...
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Ooh boy, are they ever fun to watch again. Will see how they can maintain it, and how they respond to an inevitable slump. Wonder who gets sent down to make room for Morales? Can't see them sending Hernandez down the way he's been tearing the cover off the ball. Maybe Mayza?

Quite the turnaround from last year so far. Biggest thing seems to be hitting with runners in scoring position, last year they were atrocious.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:51 AM

It's amazing what happens when you get rid of a few....seem to have chemistry which spills over to the game.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:14 AM

What do you think about the debut (?) of FB having the rights to livestream the game yesterday? Didn't like the commentary and the player interviews during the game. Old school I guess. I'm thinking many old-schoolers were shut out from watching the game due to technological issues lol..........I don't have a smart tv but I have Chrome Cast........allowed me to watch the game on the big screen. The HD streaming was very good I have to admit. Jays are doing great....................but those Red Sox............WOW
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 AM

Why wasn't the game televised ? Is it because it was on FB?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Banned

Yes it was on facebook, so was not broadcast on sportsnet. Couple more games like that I think.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Wasn’t a fan of the FB Live broadcast. I have no problem streaming video on my laptop, yet that feed had issues. Was fine until I went full screen, then it froze. I’m a bit old school too, and while I don’t mind new ideas I don’t like having to screw around trying to figure out bugs on the fly. Plus, I work shift work and enjoy PVR’ing the game to watch once I get home. Maybe possible of FB Live too, but no idea and no desire to mess around trying to find out. Just give me my game on my big screen and I’m a happy camper.

The Jays’ bats are hot right now, I want to see how they fare when they have to scrape out some wins. In the meantime, they’re getting a pretty good look at their bullpen in some low leverage situations. A few haven’t done much to impress yet, will see how they do in high leverage outings when the game is a bit tighter and they’re coming in with men on.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
This team doesn’t stand a chance in that division with their very mediocre roster. They would be lucky to be in contention for a wildcard spot.
Nailed it!! 12-5 second place so far
Old 04-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What do you think about the debut (?) of FB having the rights to livestream the game yesterday? Didn't like the commentary and the player interviews during the game. Old school I guess. I'm thinking many old-schoolers were shut out from watching the game due to technological issues lol..........I don't have a smart tv but I have Chrome Cast........allowed me to watch the game on the big screen. The HD streaming was very good I have to admit. Jays are doing great....................but those Red Sox............WOW
I was annoyed by the broadcast. I'm the target market (32 years old) and the commentary was way too hipster for me. And the emojis that kept floating on the bottom right were distracting. The live chat I couldn't figure out how to turn off on the right (I couldn't maximize the screen as I was working while watching and flipping though windows on the computer). Overall very unimpressed.
The announcer kept using that over used colloquialism "right?!" after the other commentators would give their spiel. Not a fan and hope it goes away forever.

Hernandez has earned his spot. Maya's goes down instead of him. He's proven himself now and should be hitting in that 2 hole with Donaldson out. When Josh comes back it could be a scary lineup. And doing this while Travis and Grichuk are useless is the amazing thing. 2 automatic outs and still firing on all cylinders. The silver lining is Travis starts slow and he's showing signs of coming around. Grichuk needs to step it up or Teaoscar will take his spot.
Ahhhh depth. Such a good problem to have
Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Oh, and props to Luke Maile for learning how to hit. I hope this isn't lightning in a bottle. He has barrelled up a bunch of balls this year so far. Hopefully he can replace Martin as the everyday catcher as ole Russ and his sub-Mendoza line BA is getting tiring. Solarte is a riot. Hope these guys can sustain this somewhat.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, and props to Luke Maile for learning how to hit. I hope this isn't lightning in a bottle. He has barrelled up a bunch of balls this year so far. Hopefully he can replace Martin as the everyday catcher as ole Russ and his sub-Mendoza line BA is getting tiring. Solarte is a riot. Hope these guys can sustain this somewhat.
Maile is one of the biggest pleasant surprises this year, and there are a few of them.

Love the depth they have. Basically turning Goins and Barney into Solarte and Diaz as your infield backups has proven genius. Goins had a decent year last year but let’s be honest, nobody expected that to be repeatable. Being able to slot these guys in for Tulo and either Donaldson or Travis (Take your pick, it’s even money one will be out on any given day) has actually won this team games this year, unlike last year it seemed. The depth in the outfield with Hernandez and Granderson, and even Pearce to a lesser extent, will spell the end of Grischuk if he doesn’t work his way out of this. Last year he would’ve been given a lot more rope, this year not so much, there are much better options now than good old Zeke or Bats.