Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Can you post that picture since you’re so familiar with that exact location
Nope, I get tired of taking endless pictures of destruction and rather go fishin'. Rest assured I know exactly where that bridge is, I've probably spent 4-500 days huntin', fishin' and campin' in the Castle area in my lifetime.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Nope, I get tired of taking endless pictures of destruction and rather go fishin'. Rest assured I know exactly where that bridge is, I've probably spent 4-500 days huntin', fishin' and campin' in the Castle area in my lifetime.
Aren’t you special, did you notice that there wasn’t one picture of anyone carrying a rifle either. I wonder why that is? You should give it a rest.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 PM

I would but then some missguided soul revisits the issue.

Whatsa matter rzrstud don't like opposing views?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You sure now? You seemed so sure you knew where a well known, frequently visited plane crash site was yet you were on the wrong side of the highway.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM

We all ****up once in a while but in my defence there is another plane crash site at the top end of Pasque. Ever been to that one? I have, shot a nice 5x6 bull elk in there. Damn near had to pack him out in steaks, steepassed country covered in deadfall, taught me to have a hard look at the terrain afore pullin' the trigger.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Aren’t you special, did you notice that there wasn’t one picture of anyone carrying a rifle either. I wonder why that is? You should give it a rest.
Don’t need a picture of someone hunting in an ad or on a billboard. I can read the castle rules and it allows hunting. Better they don’t put a person hunting. Someone might be a pita and try and shut it down. So far so good.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I'm curious as to which of the huts would be considered "full blown hotels"? Most are a pretty inexpensive way to stay in the back country if one can hike a few kilometers. I've been to some of the huts with new hikers and kids under the age of five. Others do take a bit more mountain knowledge and are situated on glacial terrain.
This is my experience as well. Have had great times in Alpine Club huts in Rogers Pass and the Columbia Ice Fields. I have been to some of the hotel like huts (never stayed in one), but they are in my experience not Alpine Club run huts. While you will find yuppies everywhere, the Alpine club huts I have accessed are geared towards the serious ski touring folks and mountaineers.

I am looking forward to exploring this area in the summer and next fall. Will reserve my judgement on the huts until I have feel for things. Does anyone know if the Alpine club has a policy on firearms?

Matt
Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
This is my experience as well. Have had great times in Alpine Club huts in Rogers Pass and the Columbia Ice Fields. I have been to some of the hotel like huts (never stayed in one), but they are in my experience not Alpine Club run huts. While you will find yuppies everywhere, the Alpine club huts I have accessed are geared towards the serious ski touring folks and mountaineers.

I am looking forward to exploring this area in the summer and next fall. Will reserve my judgement on the huts until I have feel for things. Does anyone know if the Alpine club has a policy on firearms?

Matt

I looked through their site, and there is virtually nothing about hunting except apparently an article in their 2015 Canadian Alpine Journal. See index.

https://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/we...5-88d675724e63
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
I looked through their site, and there is virtually nothing about hunting except apparently an article in their 2015 Canadian Alpine Journal. See index.

Alpine Club of Canada does not support hunting.

They will follow the line that Y2Y uses, saying that they'll support indigenous hunting rights and that's about it.

They're best buds with MEC, CPAWS, etc. None of which want hunting at all, but it's not politically correct to not exclude native rights, so they'll give lip service to that much.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Alpine Club of Canada does not support hunting.

They will follow the line that Y2Y uses, saying that they'll support indigenous hunting rights and that's about it.

They're best buds with MEC, CPAWS, etc. None of which want hunting at all, but it's not politically correct to not exclude native rights, so they'll give lip service to that much.
I've known at least two CPAW members, one who was staff, who hunt, hunt often, and hunt well. Hunting is not that organization's focus, but I am not aware that they have any policy against hunting at all.

I support groups like the AFGA, ACA, DU and others to promote hunting. But that doesn't mean there isn't room in the house for other outdoor groups to concentrate on other conservation issues.

BTW, although it appears that the Alpine Club doesn't support hunting, neither does it oppose it. Being neutral is sometimes a good thing.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
But that doesn't mean there isn't room in the house for other outdoor groups to concentrate on other conservation issues.
^ Fair statement that I would agree with.

They are pretty careful to only comment on aboriginal hunting. The link below shows the 'position' of several different organizations.

https://albertawilderness.ca/wordpre...nd-Fishing.pdf

Here's what I could find:

Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society:
CPAWS is opposed to hunting/trapping in national parks or national parks reserves, with the exceptions of hunting by Aboriginal people whose hunting rights are established by legislated land claims agreements, treaties, or other constitutional rights or where provisions for local sport hunting rights for a limited time period were made for the national park or park reserve during its establishment provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long term health of habitats or species.

CPAWS supports hunting in provincial/territorial parks and protected areas by Aboriginal people with established rights, provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long‐term health of habitats or species.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
^ Fair statement that I would agree with.

They are pretty careful to only comment on aboriginal hunting. The link below shows the 'position' of several different organizations.

https://albertawilderness.ca/wordpre...nd-Fishing.pdf

Here's what I could find:

Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society:
CPAWS is opposed to hunting/trapping in national parks or national parks reserves, with the exceptions of hunting by Aboriginal people whose hunting rights are established by legislated land claims agreements, treaties, or other constitutional rights or where provisions for local sport hunting rights for a limited time period were made for the national park or park reserve during its establishment provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long term health of habitats or species.

CPAWS supports hunting in provincial/territorial parks and protected areas by Aboriginal people with established rights, provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long‐term health of habitats or species.
Their focus is on parks, but them adding support of licensed, sport hunting for conservation management reasons in addition to aboriginal hunting would indicate they are not against non-native hunting. That concurs with discussions I've had with the two CPAW members I referenced earlier.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Their focus is on parks, but them adding support of licensed, sport hunting for conservation management reasons in addition to aboriginal hunting would indicate they are not against non-native hunting. That concurs with discussions I've had with the two CPAW members I referenced earlier.
Understood. Based on that I'd edit my comment on post #39 accordingly.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 AM

so multiple parties(people) can rent a "bunk" in each hut? hope so.

will make for some great elephants in the room when i walk into a hut with my rifle during hunting season and set up for the night,,,,,,

anyone want a bite of my granola bar?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link to that. I am going to see if I can get a copy from the library. Coming from the outdoor rec. community into the hunting community I am really interested in positive connections between the two.

Matt
Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:

The Alpine Club does not support hunting, nor does it condemn it. Many members of the club hunt and fish but are members of the club for the simple reason it was meant for...Alpinism. AO does not have a baseball or golf discussion but I'm sure there are no qualms about it's members wishing to do so. As far as I know most of the huts are in national parks at the current time so I've never met some one on a hunt during my stay.
I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to stay in a remote area of Rogers Pass and join some fellow ACC members while skiing. Two of the four were parks workers and three of the four were hunters. There was a lot of wild game consumed that evening. I wish I had known more about the new hut going in the Castle area at the time because one of the members was involved in some part with how changes were happening under the current government.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM

Another step towards keeping backpackers and hunters out of the various wild lands. paid use areas, no camping without a booking or permit.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Another step towards keeping backpackers and hunters out of the various wild lands. paid use areas, no camping without a booking or permit.
With all due respect, look into the Alpine hut system before judging. These are not exclusive accommodations and you are quite welcome to camp in the vicinity. I have also used them once before without a booking to save me a night in the backcountry. These are all about giving access to remote areas to dirtbag climbers and backpackers.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep, we are getting a $700K+ boost to the castle with three new beautiful huts. One more step in the utopian regulation of the Castle area.

I would venture to guess that if you don't book at those cabins, you won't be random back-country camping anywhere near them either!

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...F1D995ACB531AC

Castle parks to get a thrilling new adventure
Alberta Parks is developing a world-class, backcountry hut-to-hut system in Castle Wildland Provincial Park in partnership with the Alpine Club of Canada.

Castle Wildland Provincial Park
Artist's rendering of a backcountry hut in Castle Wildland Provincial Park.

This investment is part of the Government of Alberta’s ongoing commitment to diversify and modernize Alberta’s provincial parks system. Total funding for the project is $700,000 over two years.

“Albertans love parks. Camping allows us to spend quality time with our families while also reconnecting with nature. These backcountry huts will expand the recreation opportunities available in the Castle region, attract new visitors and meet the growing demand for backcountry experiences in Alberta. We’re so pleased to be able to partner with the Alpine Club of Canada to bring this thrilling backcountry experience to the Castle area.”

Shannon Phillips, Minister of Environment and Parks
The Alpine Club of Canada (ACC) runs the largest network of backcountry huts in North America and has the required expertise to manage the hut system in Castle Wildland Provincial Park. The ACC will be responsible for the operations, maintenance and administration of the backcountry huts.

“The Alpine Club of Canada is excited to partner with the province of Alberta in bringing affordable backcountry accommodation to the public. This new recreational offering in Castle Wildland Provincial Park will be a draw for many Canadians who wish to experience the best of what Alberta’s natural landscape provides.”

Lawrence White, executive director, Alpine Club of Canada
The backcountry huts system will be comprised of three modern, sustainable huts in key locations – two in the south Castle area and one near Bovin Lake. Outhouse facilities will also be constructed at the sites.

One of the huts will be designed, constructed and located to be as fully accessible as possible for users with limited mobility, helping further break down barriers to parks access.

It will be the first accessible backcountry hut in Alberta’s provincial parks.

Construction and installation of the first backcountry hut will begin this spring, with a target opening date of fall 2018.

Quick facts
The 103,000-hectare Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildland Provincial Park were established in January 2017.
More than $20 million in funding over four years has been designated for access routes, inclusion projects, camping, signage, picnic areas and hiking trails in the Castle parks.
Over 180 refurbished campsites opened in July 2017.
Amenities include improved and expanded campsites, an improved day-use area at Butcher’s Lake and four new comfort cabins at Beaver Mines Lake.
Other projects include new day-use shelters, an equestrian staging area, enlarged and improved staging areas at Syncline and Carbondale and improvements to Table Mountain Trail, Grizzly Trail and Barnaby Lakes Trail.
Yup, let’s make it cidiot/tree hugger friendly!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 PM

The ACC huts do have their place. As some have said previous, some of them take some serious travelling to get to. This is the first batch I'm aware of that are outside of a national park, so the regulations should be less restrictive I would hope.

What bothers me is the likelihood of hunting being not allowed nearby, or hunters using the area to do what we had been previously allowed to do.

Next step is a formal trail system, whereby a person can't go off trail, or random camp. Just seems to be the writing on the wall so to speak.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
The ACC huts do have their place. As some have said previous, some of them take some serious travelling to get to. This is the first batch I'm aware of that are outside of a national park, so the regulations should be less restrictive I would hope.

What bothers me is the likelihood of hunting being not allowed nearby, or hunters using the area to do what we had been previously allowed to do.

Next step is a formal trail system, whereby a person can't go off trail, or random camp. Just seems to be the writing on the wall so to speak.
I support (and have used their huts in the past) the building of these huts, and think it's a great addition. However, I concur with the bolded, and that we need to be aware of any changes that may impact us. Ideally, very few will book them during hunting season, and we may get to know a few more of our fellow hunters in a great setting.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM

highly doubt it. as these are the first outside of a national park, the possibility of hunting out of them has not been a concern to this point. it would be very easy for them to restrict hunting activities out of the huts. i wont say how, as they could easily implement it, and frankly, they would be justified.

they will not be concerned with making these huts hunter friendly.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:

More along the lines of hunting near any abode in the bush or prairie setting. Keep a safe distance and all is well.
There is also a few of their huts not in parks down on the coast but a lot of them are in areas that you most likely wouldn’t hunt anyways.
Castle is definitely a bit of a reach for them, but it could open a new opportunity for them and us.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Thanks this is what I was asking about back in March.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=341801

I want to book it for Sep, Oct, Nov and provide free camping for all who want to use for hunting, up to the person limit per day.

I would absolutely contribute to this!! Even though I am not a hunter would love to see some resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
You sure now? You seemed so sure you knew where a well known, frequently visited plane crash site was yet you were on the wrong side of the highway.
2x..
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM

Boss its de plane..........de plane.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Well sorry rzr but I don't habitually do crash sites even popular ones. I usually tend to avoid popular in the backcounrty. Ever been to the F106 crash site in the Porks? Neither have I, the one at the head end of Pasque is the only one I've visited
Old 04-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Boss its de plane..........de plane.

smartass
Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well sorry rzr but I don't habitually do crash sites even popular ones. I usually tend to avoid popular in the backcounrty. Ever been to the F106 crash site in the Porks? Neither have I, the one at the head end of Pasque is the only one I've visited
It’s kinda like your pics of the garbage and muddy trails. You sure you weren’t in the waiparous area. I’ve been to the Pasque one as well, there is also an old crash site on the south side of hiway 3 that is just north of the popular one it’s over the ridge.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 PM

The hills are alive with crash sites, it's just so confusing........