Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Default permanent ice huts

I plan on building a permanent ice hut for this winter, but...
a) Are there any restrictions on these?
b)Any rules or things i should know?
c)how often are they broken into/trashed??

It will be light enough to move and i may consider just dragging it out each weekend, and dropping it using quad ramps...

any opinions or experiences are apprectiated
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 PM

I have been debating the fish house question now for 2 years. Ideally a place to sleep in with a wood burning stove, and comfy seats. I came to a conclusion this year. I want to fish more lakes than just one. So I need to build a portable shack, which is: Cheap, easy to setup, light, and built correctly as to not blow away in the wind.

The plan I have now is to use readily downloadable plans to construct my version of the ideal portable shack. I have come to the conclusion that I should be able to do this my way for under 450 bucks.

That way: No one can steal it
No one can trash it
No one can burn it
...when I am not there with it...
I can move it easily alone
I get to use a wood stove

My vote, build a portable.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I have been debating the fish house question now for 2 years. Ideally a place to sleep in with a wood burning stove, and comfy seats. I came to a conclusion this year. I want to fish more lakes than just one. So I need to build a portable shack, which is: Cheap, easy to setup, light, and built correctly as to not blow away in the wind.

The plan I have now is to use readily downloadable plans to construct my version of the ideal portable shack. I have come to the conclusion that I should be able to do this my way for under 450 bucks.

That way: No one can steal it
No one can trash it
No one can burn it
...when I am not there with it...
I can move it easily alone
I get to use a wood stove

My vote, build a portable.
I'm thinking similar to you. I'm considering somthing along these lines.

http://www.stopsnoringnow.com/icesha...ntyphotos.html

I figure I can use a small wood stove out the back wall.

Any hints for what you're looking at? My goal is to have somthing that will fit into my dodge dakota box and that I can haul as a sled to where I'm going to set up at.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

Default built one

I built one just like that several years ago. I threw it away cause i was tired of hauling it all over every time I moved. It worked great though and would fit in the back of a pickup between the wheel wells. Mine didn't have a floor in it though. I heated it with a small propane catalytic heater.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM

I built mine out of a 13 foot holiday trailer, gutted it, left the beds, put a wood burning stve in it, cut holes in the floor, it is super light, can move it with one person and a truck, the thing probably only weighs about 6 or 7 hundred pounds, and SUPER WARM. dont know if this is quite what you are looking for but its an idea.

cheers
Duster
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I built one just like that several years ago. I threw it away cause i was tired of hauling it all over every time I moved. It worked great though and would fit in the back of a pickup between the wheel wells. Mine didn't have a floor in it though. I heated it with a small propane catalytic heater.

I did the same and just threw it away this summer. Great to have when you take kids but a huge pain in the butt to drag across the ice. If you had a quad or always a couple of guys then great or when the ice was good and thick for a truck. I would say buy a 4 man and you will be happy as you can move a 4 man easier then the whole set up with the one you are thinking about. It takes about 30 minutes before you get a line in the water after all the monkeying around getting it set up, drilling the holes etc and if there are not fish there or they move you have to do it all over again. Good luck
Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I built mine out of a 13 foot holiday trailer, gutted it, left the beds, put a wood burning stve in it, cut holes in the floor, it is super light, can move it with one person and a truck, the thing probably only weighs about 6 or 7 hundred pounds, and SUPER WARM. dont know if this is quite what you are looking for but its an idea.

cheers
Duster
I've got a 13' fibreglass Boler that our family has outgrown for camping but I've been thinking of converting it to an ice-fishing shack. It would probably work good for a couple people, one hole where the table was and another in front of the couch.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Shacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Any hints for what you're looking at? My goal is to have somthing that will fit into my dodge dakota box and that I can haul as a sled to where I'm going to set up at.

We built one 2 years ago and love it, when we move spots just close the door and you ready to move. Ours has 2x4 skids with tin on them no problem pulling it around, unless you are in deep snow.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Gone Fishing

Would you consider selling the Boler before you cut the holes in it?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Hey ABDiver,

Those are the same plans I am looking at, only I am going to build mine a little more custom to my needs. I am going to put the wood stove on the opposite end of the door, one that is portable and removeable so my shack can collapse. (I found Wholesale is cheaper than Campers Village, but the same product)

I am going to mount ski's on the underside of the floor that fold up so that I can drag it across the ice in 8' of snow, but when I get to location, I can fold them up and let the shack sit on 2x4 wood blocks, so it will not freeze to the ice. This way, it will fit in the back of my truck, on top of the wheel wells, with the tailgate closed, and I will not be fishing with a drafty 8' below my shack.

Skis are free, from a ski tuning shop.
I am going to use 12oz canvas as my fabric, because I cannot handle the sound of a blue tarp in the wind.
I have researched canvas and found that art supply stores sell it in various weights and lengths. I have priced out the correct amount of canvas at approx $145. I have found 60' wide and 72' wide. My plan is to have two peices of 72'W x 18ft stitched together, so I have about a 10 ft long by 5ft wide shack that is just wide enough to fit through the tight spot in my pickup.

Pretreated ply for the floor, on top of a light frame of 2x4's, and maybe 3/8 ply for the walls.

As I mentioned previous I believe this can be done all for under $450, inclusive, and should weigh around 100lbs.

I will post pics when I get this all underway, hopefully this week.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Hey ABDiver,

Those are the same plans I am looking at, only I am going to build mine a little more custom to my needs. I am going to put the wood stove on the opposite end of the door, one that is portable and removeable so my shack can collapse. (I found Wholesale is cheaper than Campers Village, but the same product)

I am going to mount ski's on the underside of the floor that fold up so that I can drag it across the ice in 8' of snow, but when I get to location, I can fold them up and let the shack sit on 2x4 wood blocks, so it will not freeze to the ice. This way, it will fit in the back of my truck, on top of the wheel wells, with the tailgate closed, and I will not be fishing with a drafty 8' below my shack.

Skis are free, from a ski tuning shop.
I am going to use 12oz canvas as my fabric, because I cannot handle the sound of a blue tarp in the wind.
I have researched canvas and found that art supply stores sell it in various weights and lengths. I have priced out the correct amount of canvas at approx $145. I have found 60' wide and 72' wide. My plan is to have two peices of 72'W x 18ft stitched together, so I have about a 10 ft long by 5ft wide shack that is just wide enough to fit through the tight spot in my pickup.

Pretreated ply for the floor, on top of a light frame of 2x4's, and maybe 3/8 ply for the walls.

As I mentioned previous I believe this can be done all for under $450, inclusive, and should weigh around 100lbs.

I will post pics when I get this all underway, hopefully this week.
Sounds like ours will end up similar. I was thinking about getting some insulated black tarp that they use for hoarding on construction sites.

My dodge has slots in the box where I can put 2-2"x4" across the box so a full 4' wide sheet of plyood can go across the top of the wheel wells. Then I'd have covered storage underneath for equipment when driving.

I like the idea of the skis on hinges on either side and then sit on the edge of the 2x4. Very creative!

I was thinking about expanding aluminum poles to keep the end walls apart and put the canvas/tarp tensioned. Then they can be reduced in size to transport easy. Little paint on the end walls for looks and should be pretty nice. I'll have plexi windows with covers on each end.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 PM

me and some buddies build a big permanent shack and took it up to slave. there are a ton of shacks on the lake so theft is not a big issue. it is further to drive but the fishing is always steady to good so there is no need to move it around. i think i went on one trip that was not in the shack and it just doesn't seem fun to freeze your but off. plus we have satelite tv, turkey deepfryer, and it can sleep 6. i would rather go up to slave for 3 days a few times a year rather than a bunch of day trips so its great for me and my buddies. thats just what works for me but not everyone is on shift work and can get away. i have a portable shack that is collecting dust because i cant get up the energy to pull it all around the ice all day.( mabe i can use it for the outhouse) all i know is nothing beats deep fryed walleye and pilsner while your watching the oilers game.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM

I have a 1978 13ft. RV trailor that would work excellent as an Ice Shack. If any one is interested.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

I saw something sweet, it was a wem Fishin Hole, its about 6*8 and i beleive its called the clam 6800, it has tons of space in there....now i really have a dillemma
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 PM

I remembered coming across a slightly better design on another website. Finally found it! I like this one a little better.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~charrons/Default.htm
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM

We used the brown canvas tarp from princess auto, We had to spray it with truck box liner to keep out the light so we could see down our holes. In my opinion make sure light cannot penetrate your tarp, if you want to watch the fisheys.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I remembered coming across a slightly better design on another website. Finally found it! I like this one a little better.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~charrons/Default.htm
Excellent link, and photo's. I really like how small it collapses, but I am wondering how much structural integrity it retains in heavy prairie winds, with it not being based on a solid floor. Makes me think, I should build a small sled instead of retractable runners, then I can reduce weight and store it under where it sits in the back of my truck box... Wow this has got me thinking!!

Hey Dark, how heavy is the canvas you bought at PA? I found that the canvas painters drop cloth that I found was just too thin. Was it cheaper than 140 bucks??

Good thread!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM

You could add two pole cross supports, or even go with two more along the sides to keep the tarps from blowing inwards and stiffen things up.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Since the thread is about permanent ice shelters, try this cabin, might still be for sale.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=cabin

If I had the coin and a trailer to pull the components, I'd be using this year round!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM

If you build a permanent ice fishing shack and you are going to leave it on the ice build it tough and do not lock it and don't leave any personnel stuff inside it. It seems if you lock it that will only keep out the honest guy. They will find a way to get in. And the more that use it the better to keep the holes open.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Hey Fisherman Guy

I think we paid 90.00 for the tarp, it is heavy canvas so no slapping in the wind. Even so we found to much light coming through, 6 cans of box liner and she's dark inside now and it also makes it warmer. Ours has a 4x8 sheet of plywood for a floor so it fits between the wheel wells of the truck and we pile our gear on top of it. It is not that heavy I can handle it my self but 2 guys is alot easier. 3 -8ft 2x4s, 2 sheets 3/8 plywood for the walls one sheet 5/8 plywood for the floor and the tarp is the total weight.
We use 3- 1" pvc pipes for the poles, we cut them into 4 footers and just coupl them together(no glue)that way they fit inside for storage
Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
me and some buddies build a big permanent shack and took it up to slave. there are a ton of shacks on the lake so theft is not a big issue. it is further to drive but the fishing is always steady to good so there is no need to move it around. i think i went on one trip that was not in the shack and it just doesn't seem fun to freeze your but off. plus we have satelite tv, turkey deepfryer, and it can sleep 6. i would rather go up to slave for 3 days a few times a year rather than a bunch of day trips so its great for me and my buddies. thats just what works for me but not everyone is on shift work and can get away. i have a portable shack that is collecting dust because i cant get up the energy to pull it all around the ice all day.( mabe i can use it for the outhouse) all i know is nothing beats deep fryed walleye and pilsner while your watching the oilers game.
Hey Brad,

My liver has finally recovered from last year. I was BSing with Roman the other day and we sure want to head up for a couple of nights this winter. I built a 8x10 this summer out of a old job site trailer. I was thinking of leaving it out at Gull for the winter. Maybe me and Rick can drag mine up there for a weekend. I can garuntee that it's easier to load than that brute you guys have. Fun times up at Slave for sure. I won't sleep in a unheated sled trailer anymore though....

Jeff
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Just an Idea.

I know it is not permanent, but i have seen last year a few guys take out there outfitter tents and set up on the ice. Your sheltered from the wind, you have a stove for heat and or cooking on, and lots of room to move around. don't know how practical it would be if your did not have internal frames and I guess it would depend how easy set up would be but it's a pretty good idea.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin07 View Post
Hey Brad,

My liver has finally recovered from last year. I was BSing with Roman the other day and we sure want to head up for a couple of nights this winter. I built a 8x10 this summer out of a old job site trailer. I was thinking of leaving it out at Gull for the winter. Maybe me and Rick can drag mine up there for a weekend. I can garuntee that it's easier to load than that brute you guys have. Fun times up at Slave for sure. I won't sleep in a unheated sled trailer anymore though....

Jeff
you should come up when we haul it out on the ice. im hoping for the 10th of jan but im thinking that might be a little early. if not then the 24th. if we have to many to sleep we can draw straws to see who sleeps out in the trucks. first guy to fall a sleep sleeps outside. i think we could fit 6 or 7 to sleep as long it doesn't turn into a ufc ring again.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
you should come up when we haul it out on the ice. im hoping for the 10th of jan but im thinking that might be a little early. if not then the 24th. if we have to many to sleep we can draw straws to see who sleeps out in the trucks. first guy to fall a sleep sleeps outside. i think we could fit 6 or 7 to sleep as long it doesn't turn into a ufc ring again.
I'll bring up the flasher and have the best of both world's. catching more fish and not having a sore face. That was a good time last year. You guy's paint that unit yet or what? That shack you guy's built is mint but remember it's not the size that counts.....
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I think we paid 90.00 for the tarp, it is heavy canvas so no slapping in the wind. Even so we found to much light coming through, 6 cans of box liner and she's dark inside now and it also makes it warmer. Ours has a 4x8 sheet of plywood for a floor so it fits between the wheel wells of the truck and we pile our gear on top of it. It is not that heavy I can handle it my self but 2 guys is alot easier. 3 -8ft 2x4s, 2 sheets 3/8 plywood for the walls one sheet 5/8 plywood for the floor and the tarp is the total weight.
We use 3- 1" pvc pipes for the poles, we cut them into 4 footers and just coupl them together(no glue)that way they fit inside for storage
I need to say, PRINCESS AUTO. thank you.

So the shack is halfway there, after a build day Saturday. Still need to cut one wall, door, fishing and stovepipe holes. Plus the sled. Borrowed buddies pipe bender, for the sled runners; replaced the bat next to my bed for preferable weapon of choice in case of a home invasion by perhaps someone angry. Maybe about hijacking threads. Sorry. Looks like this kit will fit nicely in the back of my pickup, and I am hoping to get out this weekend and try it out. Perhaps in the interior of bee cee for a snowboard ice fishing trip, or a prairie burbot target. I see myself going overboard again, once again, I may have an addiction to stores like UFA, Ribtor, Princess Auto.....

How is your shack coming along?