Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Any recomendations about fishing lodge in AB?

I would like to go fishing up North of Alberta 500-700km from Calgary, looking for a not so expensive lodge (~$150/night). Have never been there.. Any recommendations?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danik View Post
I would like to go fishing up North of Alberta 500-700km from Calgary, looking for a not so expensive lodge (~$150/night). Have never been there.. Any recommendations?
Not a big lot for $150 a night in the north I would think. By you milage, I guess you are looking at Grand Prairie - Slave Lake -Cold Lake areas. Cold Lake has some good fishing. If you have a boat, 14ft minimum, you can fish Cold Lake and stay in a hotel for about $100 or so a night. There are local charter boats, but these will easily be beyond your $150 per day limit. Also there are a lot of good lakes around Cold Lake, but you definitely need a boat.

We go the other way and use a lodge in BC, near Little Fort for $110 a night for a one bedroom cabin, including use of a row boat, $140 for 2 bedrooms.

It is a good deal, as only the lodge has boats on the lakes. Some of the lakes are stocked and many still have native trout. The owners discourages retention on the lakes with native trout, prefers only on the stocked lakes. It is mountain fishing so be prepared for a steep up-hill drive and a different climate zone when you are up there.

The owners are from Alberta.

http://www.thuyalakes.com/rates.php

ps I have no affiliation with this camp, I just like fishing there. My son heads up there again in July.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

How is fishing in July?
Thanks for answering
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danik View Post
How is fishing in July?
Thanks for answering
We fished in June but July through September would would be better. Being at 4,000ft elevation, hatches are later than in the valley floor.
There were Baetis hatching, no Caddis at that time, but quite a lot of chironomids. Hooked some bigger fish using chrionomids and do those guys ever hit hard.
My son did well on #14 - #18 Adams patterns.
Good to check with Little Fort Fly Shop for hatch times and patterns. I believe they are open from May 1st.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM

id go to fred !!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM

THANK YOU.
If you have any other recommendations - they are welcome. I already contacted the owner, received pretty quick answer.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM

In coming pm .