Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Info for an African safari

Hello I know many of you on here have been to Africa to hunt so I'm asking you for your advice and tips as how to book, what to take, what to expect, how and what currency you brought as well as how you tip as well as what you have done with your animals.

I won a trip to South Africa that includes gemsbok, kudu and impala, I plan to add 2 or 3 more and extend from 5 days to 9 while there. My plan is to euro all animals and dip and ship back here where I plan to shoulder mount the 3 I mentioned when I'm able to afford to do so. I do plan to have a zebra made into a rug in Africa as that's been suggested already.

If you have an advice it's appreciated as well as info on travel, vaccinations and whether it is worth bringing my own rifle with, I'd prefer to take one with. Feel free to recommend taxidermists as well, I'm leaning towards Orion at the moment.

I'd be heading over the end of April start of May.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin'wild View Post
Hello I know many of you on here have been to Africa to hunt so I'm asking you for your advice and tips as how to book, what to take, what to expect, how and what currency you brought as well as how you tip as well as what you have done with your animals.

I won a trip to South Africa that includes gemsbok, kudu and impala, I plan to add 2 or 3 more and extend from 5 days to 9 while there. My plan is to euro all animals and dip and ship back here where I plan to shoulder mount the 3 I mentioned when I'm able to afford to do so. I do plan to have a zebra made into a rug in Africa as that's been suggested already.

If you have an advice it's appreciated as well as info on travel, vaccinations and whether it is worth bringing my own rifle with, I'd prefer to take one with. Feel free to recommend taxidermists as well, I'm leaning towards Orion at the moment.

I'd be heading over the end of April start of May.

Thanks in advance.
Try and go later in the year if possible, June/July is prime and the leaves will be off the trees by then.

Also make sure you look closely at the prices of additional days and animals you want to hunt. There’s lots of people who win short plains game Safaris and by the time they add extra days and animals they end up paying more then just booking a hunt with somebody.

Just a couple things to think about
Old 09-30-2020, 11:24 AM

Look at the Dean2 thread on Africa. It was also featured in the AO Magazine. You will get some solid info from it.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:32 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=361267

I bumped the thread so it is right above this one for ease of finding. If you want to chat pm me your phone number.