Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 AM

Default Suffield Road Maps?

Anyone have a Suffield road map? I have a bull draw for the first slot in November and I'm hoping to get some good intel before going. I hear names of roads in various posts but I have no idea where they are. Obviously going to try for the North NWA based on everyone's thoughts here for the last couple years. Got the heavy duty Cabelas game cart which hopefully will work out there.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 AM

i might have a picture of the map at home
google maps sat view will show it best
K-rat road is the last road at the north end of the base it does go south towards the river on the east side of the NWA
the double scrape road is the west border of the NWA
mounted rifles road goes 2-3 miles into the north NWA from the double scrape road ( first road south of K-rat) dead ends at an old lease site

these roads will get you the farthest in by truck into the north nwa

which dates are you hunting i will be there as helper the first hunt in january
for cows
Old 09-30-2020, 06:41 AM

I could be completely wrong so double check but I thought the hunts on bases were closed do to Covid19. Pretty sure my wife mentioned getting an email about it. Like I said there is a good chance I am wrong

Being half asleep, not planning on hunting a base and my wife telling me I did not really pay attention honestly lol
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I could be completely wrong so double check but I thought the hunts on bases were closed do to Covid19. Pretty sure my wife mentioned getting an email about it. Like I said there is a good chance I am wrong

Being half asleep, not planning on hunting a base and my wife telling me I did not really pay attention honestly lol
You are correct
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 AM

I thought Suffield was still a go but Wainwright is cancelled.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:36 AM

How do we know the op isn't a foreign spy?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
I thought Suffield was still a go but Wainwright is cancelled.
That was my understanding (so far).
Old 09-30-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
i might have a picture of the map at home
google maps sat view will show it best
K-rat road is the last road at the north end of the base it does go south towards the river on the east side of the NWA
the double scrape road is the west border of the NWA
mounted rifles road goes 2-3 miles into the north NWA from the double scrape road ( first road south of K-rat) dead ends at an old lease site

these roads will get you the farthest in by truck into the north nwa

which dates are you hunting i will be there as helper the first hunt in january
for cows
Thanks, that helps, I can clearly see them on google. So you can drive mounted rifles even though it's in the NWA?

Can you drive all the way around the north side of the NWA and drive south down k-rat? Or where does the driving stop and the walking start on k-rat?

Also was wondering if there are any other entrances to the range you can use up there, or do they force you through the HCS (hunter check station) and where is that, north of Ralston?

Nov 16-18 if they keep the hunt on.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
How do we know the op isn't a foreign spy?
Probably the same way we don't know you're not one lol
Old 09-30-2020, 12:30 PM

https://medicinehatnews.com/news/loc...gs-handed-out/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntWithABrittany View Post
Thanks, that helps, I can clearly see them on google. So you can drive mounted rifles even though it's in the NWA?

Can you drive all the way around the north side of the NWA and drive south down k-rat? Or where does the driving stop and the walking start on k-rat?

Also was wondering if there are any other entrances to the range you can use up there, or do they force you through the HCS (hunter check station) and where is that, north of Ralston?

go to https://www.sircsafety.ca/ and click on the current range calendar. there will be a map that shows the roads. Not super clear but you can see it. They usually have a few gates open for the hunt but you will find that out at the first morning briefing.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:

yes you can drive on k-rat around to the east and south as well as mounted rifles road i think there is one other road south near the boundry of the north and south nwa that you can drive in on as well

2 years ago the base entrance was north of ralston by the gas plant ( bend in the highway )
for the NWA it was south back to suffield and then east to the S30 gate
which is straight north of medicine hat there is a 90 deg bend in the gravel road ( turn left to enter the base ) right would take you right to the canalta center in medicine hat
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
yes you can drive on k-rat around to the east and south as well as mounted rifles road i think there is one other road south near the boundry of the north and south nwa that you can drive in on as well

2 years ago the base entrance was north of ralston by the gas plant ( bend in the highway )
for the NWA it was south back to suffield and then east to the S30 gate
which is straight north of medicine hat there is a 90 deg bend in the gravel road ( turn left to enter the base ) right would take you right to the canalta center in medicine hat
Nice, thank you, that looks like South Buffalo Rd you're talking about. Takes you straight into the South NWA. I'm assuming then you would follow that north to get to the North NWA eventually. I'm gonna need to bring some spare diesel lol.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Nice, thank you, that looks like South Buffalo Rd you're talking about. Takes you straight into the South NWA. I'm assuming then you would follow that north to get to the North NWA eventually. I'm gonna need to bring some spare diesel lol.
diesel seems to way cheaper on the base at the cannex was 10 cents a liter cheaper than medicine hat

it is easy to put on a lot of km in day we had to go back in and retrieve an elk
the first time that was in the northeast part of the NWA and it was 73km as the crow flies on the gps from the elk to range control exit on the south west corner of the base