Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 09:12 PM

Took me 1hr with no pack to boogie out the 4km from my water hole and bivy to the parking lot. I’m betting I could do it in 20min on an ebike. I’m saving up for something similar to the boar it’ll let me move that bivy back another 10k if I want there’s a well used horse trail out there. Me and a few friends are planning An 11 day backpack hunt One bike would make a huge difference for the groups recovery and deployment plans.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 AM

One thing I’m reading here is that a lot of folks think these bikes are a plug in and ride up and down wherever you want to go. One fella did say that one has to remember the limitations these units have. You load these up with a bunch of racks etc, remember that if you can’t ride up a steep hill you’re gonna be pushing it. Physically pushing the bike up and down hills as well. Big fat 4inch tires, more power used, pulling a trailer, again more power used. You still have to be able to ride, you still have to be in shape, you still have to be able to think about personal limits. I would say that most folks would use these units on old logging roads, well established trails, and the like. Very few have the skills to ride these bikes very far in hard to reach places where backpack hunters would be able to travel. I’m like the one guy that I would tip my hat to some crazy riding one of these in a backcountry situation no matter what he is riding. Have fun kids and know your limits.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 AM

We took regular bikes and trailers into Willmore once. Perfect on the hard pack and you can really cruise- until it rains and the trails get soft. Electric assist or not I can’t see a bike being very efficient in poor weather. Same thing on cobblestone. We had a heck of a time dragging those bikes out. Notice I said dragging, not riding. I tip my cap to those doing it as well.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:00 AM

The weather, terrain and overall conditions have to be perfect for these. So
perfect that few will even entertain the idea of pulling the trigger on these to use as a hunting vehicle.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The weather, terrain and overall conditions have to be perfect for these. So
perfect that few will even entertain the idea of pulling the trigger on these to use as a hunting vehicle.
Yet more and more people are using them or regular bikes to aid them in hunting season especially bow season with no problem. I am more willing to shoot something farther back now that i have something to aid in getting it out.
Obviously they won't go everywhere but you can park it and drag your animal back to it for the ride out even if it's multiple trips.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Yet more and more people are using them or regular bikes to aid them in hunting season especially bow season with no problem. I am more willing to shoot something farther back now that i have something to aid in getting it out.
Obviously they won't go everywhere but you can park it and drag your animal back to it for the ride out even if it's multiple trips.
Great idea. I see some of the fat tire ebikes have walk assist for when you load the bike up it will assist you in waking the heavy load out.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM

The government of BC finally put on paper the regulations around e-bikes and non-motorized areas. They are banned here in all AMA's(access management areas), road closures, non-motorized areas. Their rationale is that allowing the use of e-bikes is not in keeping with the intent of these areas. Pedal assist or full electric they are banned in all of these areas. Just like on lakes where motors(including electric) are banned. I'm glad it's been clarified, there has been a lot of online debate and confusion surrounding this issue. For my part I understand their reasons, a motor whether it be gas, diesel, or electric is still a motor.

I almost exclusively hunt AMA's, road closures, and Provincial Parks where I have to pack in on foot with a backpack or a cart so I agree with the ruling. There are literally thousands of kilometers of roads and trails available to motorized travel, setting aside a few hundred only makes sense. Every time I pack into a favourite road closure there is always evidence that people are still driving in so to some the rules mean nothing anyway. For the most part a closed area will eliminate 9 out of 10 hunters if not more. It makes for better hunting but a lot of work. When I am successful it often becomes gruelling, painful work so when you do hunt these areas you have to be prepared if you are successful. An e-bike is only going to help so much. You might be able to get in further more quickly but that only means recovery is that much more difficult. You're still going to have know your limits.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:05 PM

The battery gets pretty finicky when you leave a bike stationary in cold. Numerous days sitting in the cold while a person hunts/ nights in cold weather laying in camp may leave you with a heavy pedal bike. Add snow ,or mud with a heavy pack you may find yourself severely dreading the trail out... Lithium ion battery’s get trashed the more they are exposed to the cold. They are not cheap. If you plan on charging the bike on the trail you gotta bring that battery up to temp before you can even start to charge it. Pretty tough to do in crap weather especially in the area you are going. Your gonna have howling winds I mean howling if your in the 400. That bike is heavy, going in the morning may be delightful, by 11am-noon the wind can be blowing so hard you can barely stand. High wind is gonna test even the highest assistance at prolonged rates., add carts and saddle bags etc your gonna be swearing. Like a horse you always have to return to that bike.

If it’s nice well I guess your laughing. Getting cocky with speed is a serious danger. You have a heavy pack and you rack up your injuries may certainly be far worse than if you had simply taken a tumble riding at your average weight. Riding a bike with optics on your chest a pack and a weapon is to put lightly.... F$&@ed! If it is hot your gonna be that much more annoyed and un-comfortable.

I’d be worried about leaving a bike like that un-attended personally. Anyone can jump on and be gone lickity split. Let alone wreck it or hide it on you. People aren’t all that nice when they feel cheated, seems there is quite a few people who aren’t loving these ebikes. Remember you are in a wild place animals like salt, tires, seats, grips are all free game for critters to munch too.

All this and you still gotta just hunt, have your e bikes!I’m really not to worried about people using these things. Everyone’s looking for an easier hunt, all that signals to me is when the going gets tough or the weather is whooped, game is scarce easy minded hunters are done. Someone who is gonna get it done will use an bike or a horse or a set of crappy old boots. Mountain hunting is a tough thing. More often than not the conditions and effort it takes flat out hsucks. There’s nothing easy about it. This influx in interest is simply the mass social media presence and all the consumer gimmicks. People can buy the image and identity they seek for themselves and what they want others to see.

Golf, fly fishing, and hunting are sports where a guy can get all gussied up and strut around feeling good. Not one ounce of talent or know how required to look as if they are “pro”. Add a social media account to pander to the audience and bada bing your an influencer. Everyone wants to hunt mountain game but not a whole lot no how or really want to do what it takes.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 AM

Omg. Upongrassy you must be smoking the the grassy ? You really think that using a e-bike makes you less a hunter or a weaker one ? Dude I have been out hunting my area,s for over 25 years, survived cancer ,horiffic motorcycling accident (wasn’t my Fault )that I am handicap from and I am still out there doing what I love . It’s a smarter way ! It had nothing to do with social media or commercial hype . There is no way you understand or even have a grasp how in certain areas ,terrain and trails it can help people achieve there goals . You my friend are just another negative nay sayer . P.S we lock them to a Trees ,gate or even a fence sometime, most people have cable locks nowadays. Most of the time we are heading back before someone hiking in has come close to reaching us.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:04 PM

The original post asked about"E Bike Hunting". Check the 2020 regulations on page 15 for definition of an OHV. Note the wording "any motorized vehicle designed for cross-country travel on land......" By this definition an e bike meets the motorized vehicle definition and cross country travel which goes on to state "motorcycles an related two-wheel vehicles. Alberta WILDLIFE ACT Chapter 10 W‑10(jj) “vehicle” means a device, other than an aircraft or boat, in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported;

By definition an e-bike is a vehicle for the purpose of hunting " on which a person or thing is transported" according to the wildlife act.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:28 PM

So first off, since the Province has eliminated the ohv restrictions across most of the province most of this is now academic. Second thing, the ebikes that are street legal are a vehicle and thus aren't captured under the remaining ohv regulations for hunting or use in parks. A street legal ebike can go anywhere a vehicle is permitted to go and always has been able to. They can also go almost everywhere a standard pedal bike is allowed to go.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
The original post asked about"E Bike Hunting". Check the 2020 regulations on page 15 for definition of an OHV. Note the wording "any motorized vehicle designed for cross-country travel on land......" By this definition an e bike meets the motorized vehicle definition and cross country travel which goes on to state "motorcycles an related two-wheel vehicles. Alberta WILDLIFE ACT Chapter 10 W‑10(jj) “vehicle” means a device, other than an aircraft or boat, in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported;

By definition an e-bike is a vehicle for the purpose of hunting " on which a person or thing is transported" according to the wildlife act.
ebikes and hunting are mutually exclusive. The hunting regulations definition for OHV do not include a "power bicycle" which is the official designation of an ebike in AB. Because the hunting regulations do not include the definition of a power bicycle, does not make a power bicycle an ohv. See these two links (that contradict your comments): https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.fi...iclesinab3.pdf

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...PowerBikes.pdf
Old 09-05-2020, 10:02 PM

check out The Bike Shop in calgary, they're huge, mail order or in person. they've got three stores in calgary, and on line.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Got my quietkat warrior last wednesday after 4 month wait and it is awesome don't even break a sweat now getting way back to start hunting saves me over an hour of walking in and out each way not to mention the energy saved. I have the 2 wheel trailer to pull behind that can hold 200 lbs. I loaded all my gear on trailer and pulled it in with any problem you cannot even feel it. All day in and out used only about 45% battery. Rode in nice weather and rain and it was very easy so for those that say you can't ride in wet weather your wrong. Bit of a sore butt today from riding the last few days but will get used to riding a bike again and that will go away.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Got my quietkat warrior last wednesday after 4 month wait and it is awesome don't even break a sweat now getting way back to start hunting saves me over an hour of walking in and out each way not to mention the energy saved. I have the 2 wheel trailer to pull behind that can hold 200 lbs. I loaded all my gear on trailer and pulled it in with any problem you cannot even feel it. All day in and out used only about 45% battery. Rode in nice weather and rain and it was very easy so for those that say you can't ride in wet weather your wrong. Bit of a sore butt today from riding the last few days but will get used to riding a bike again and that will go away.

Great to hear. You've got to post some pictures, especially the ones in the wet to show guys just how much bad trail these things really are capable of. The old mountain bikes worked pretty good, with the electric assist it would be awesome and now that the OHV rules are changed you can go in nice a quiet . I am betting you will see quite a lot of game riding the bike, I never found the mountain bike spooked game near as much as a man walking for some reason.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:28 AM

i see animals all the time dirt biking in waiporous. not sure if they are just used to it, or want to actually see what it is before splitting. Saw a few mulies, whities and moose while on the bike.

These ebikes are huge for the hunting community. Should allow guys access to places only horses could get before.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've been looking at this one for a while: https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/ra...AaAhbrEALw_wcB

Primarily for chicken hunting and gettin' into the backcountry. I don't even think of using them in parks except for Castle Park............which has far too many restrictions going on there.
I bought 2 rad city ST3 ebikes this summer for $1900.00 each and would recommend their product after looking around local bike shops and web sites.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Waiting for my Quietkat WARRIOR 1000 now, ordered it a month ago should be here anytime also got the 2 wheeled game trailer to pull behind it.With a few options added in cost me about $6000. This will save a lot of work getting game out for sure not to mention getting back farther much easier and faster. Where i hunt we cannot use quads to retrieve anymore and seems like all the elk are always a couple miles or more in.
Hey! Just wondering how your liking your QuietKat so far? What are your thoughts so far? Any regrets, downfalls or liking it pretty good so far? How far can you go on a battery charge and what is the recharge time? Thanks!

Last edited by oneshotkillshot; 09-08-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Missed the response earlier in the thread...
Old 09-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotkillshot View Post
Hey! Just wondering how your liking your QuietKat so far? What are your thoughts so far? Any regrets, downfalls or liking it pretty good so far? How far can you go on a battery charge and what is the recharge time? Thanks!
The bike is just awesome and made for hunting. It's heavy but you don't notice the weight and pulls a trailer very easy. Only went about 30 miles so far in plus 30 to rain and snow on monday morning rode great in all conditions and never broke a sweat once. Just got the saddle bags on today they will carry lots and they are waterproof. No regrets or problems yet they are a little pricey though i paid $6300 for bike with a upgraded suspension seat, fenders, saddle bags, pannier rack and 2 wheel trailer with suspension springs on it. I had no problem going all day with battery but it depends on terrain, how much throttle you use or what level your power is set on for the pedal assist as for charging it's about 4-6 hours to recharge. This will help out so much to get game back to camp. Should of got one years ago.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:47 PM

I just bought a Volt Yukon ebike

I want to buy a hitch mounted carrier for it but ebike hitch carriers appear to be rare. What are you guys using? I don't want to have it laying down in my truck box.

Lots of bike carrier options but none are rated for a 70# ebike.

Then there is this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8169781e
Old 09-10-2020, 04:34 PM

I use the Swagman carrier made for e bikes good for 2 bikes at about 65 lbs each. Got mine from abominable sports in calgary
Old 09-10-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Looked at some the other day
$7k ish for the good ones, ouch
Lol, anything to avoid walking.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Anything

Anything to get deeper and away from slob hunters for me.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:22 PM

I’ve been told by many COs and F&W officers that they are illegal in 400 and 402 or I would have bought one already! I’d like to save my feet also!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
I’ve been told by many COs and F&W officers that they are illegal in 400 and 402 or I would have bought one already! I’d like to save my feet also!
You can run quads, dirt bikes and SxS’s but not a bicycle? How many CO’s have told you this?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You can run quads, dirt bikes and SxS’s but not a bicycle? How many CO’s have told you this?
It was to be used accessing front canyons through shell gates in 400, where in those locations is considered a power vehicle on shell access roads and was told illegal.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:48 PM

I own a amp’er up and it’s awesome. Can’t wait to use it abit more for hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E102327-3E54-48C3-8B3F-F9201002D6C4.jpg (35.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 PM

Default Nice

Snap shot that’s a great bike especially from the price point, best of luck this fall
Old 09-28-2020, 08:51 AM

My Rad Runner with bird gun and rifle. Seat on the back for my 8 year old daughter. Does 38km/h and approx 50km on a charge. dead silent.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I just bought a Volt Yukon ebike

I want to buy a hitch mounted carrier for it but ebike hitch carriers appear to be rare. What are you guys using? I don't want to have it laying down in my truck box.

Lots of bike carrier options but none are rated for a 70# ebike.

Then there is this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8169781e
That bike seems like a very good deal, have you got it? I'm very interested.
Are you happy with it? How does it compare to eh RAD bikes?