Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 09:00 PM

Default Gutless method

Hi all,
Just curious to see who has used the gutless method on either moose, elk, or deer. How’d it go on your first attempt? Any helpful tips that you want to share?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 PM

Start from the back and peel down. It’s pretty easy. Watch that you don’t puncture gut when you are digging around the hips sockets in the hind quarters. Other than that, it’s pretty cool. I take ribs and all though so gutless doesn’t do much for me
Old 09-29-2020, 09:38 PM

We've done a number of moose and deer.

We skin out the upper side. Remove front leg, loin and rear leg. Strip any remaining meat from neck, ribs and pelvis. Make small incision at the rear of the ribs near the spinal processes. Reach in and grab the tenderloin, carefully cut it out. Flip animal to the other side and repeat. (all lower legs are cut off)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:59 PM

Lots of good videos on YouTube. Randy Newberg has a good video of it. I’ll never go back to the traditional way of gutting now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2020, 10:05 PM

I have done it personally on 3 elk since 2013, I know of close to a dozen more done this way.
The first time was at the bottom of a ravine. I started to do the standard gut method and realized I would have to quarter. it went way faster and easier than I though. If you plan on quartering make sure you have a fitted pack frame or good pack, 5 game bags and a piece of poly or a tarp.
You can do your first cut along the back, but I prefer to open close to the belly. With elk I cut around the pee soaked belly and up the throat to the jaw (if not caping) and skin up to the back as this gives me a clean place to lay meat if I dont have a tarp, if you dont have a tarp you can leave the hide on.
Just try have one game bag for the backstap,rib/ neck and the tloins.
Take the front leg off with as much neck meat as possible. Be carefully to not cut into the back strap. Doing this will limit trimming the back strap later. For the backstrap start at the hip bone cut into that pocket and work your way to the head. The back leg is self explanatory, skin out the testicle and leave one nut attached or the wiener up to you for evidence of sex . Look up the rib roll on YouTube, Hushin has a video. It is fairly quick and easy to remove that remaining meat. The tenderloin can then be accessed, go slow and you can get a nice clean solid loin out. Bag each leg in it's own bag and the rib, backstap and loin in the 5th. We use pack frames and the loins usually shift and cause an uneven load and pressure. Flip the hide back over and roll the whole carcass over and repeat.
If I can access with a quad I will still gut, but I would still quarter and carry than cut trees even if its 50 yards of cutting.
This will reduce the cost at the butcher as well, if they base off hook weight like where we take ours .Took my brothers in whole 425lb on the hook, took mine in quartered 325 lb. I saved about 100$ due to no bones.
Hope this helps HH
Old 09-29-2020, 10:38 PM

First attempt I messed up one tenderloin (still got it, but it wasnt pretty) the other side came out nice.

What I do now, and this is just me is I leave them for the very last. Then I carefully make a cut well away from them near the belly and remove a bit of intestine. This gives me a lot more room so I can get the tenderloins out easier.

I know you shouldn't have to do that... I just find it works for me.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:00 AM

Like others said, watch YouTube for the process, then take your time doing the first ones.
We don’t gut any animals, everything comes out in pieces.
Moose, Caribou, Elk and bears.
If we have to pack them more then a couple hundred yards the bones stay in the bush too. My better guides can have a moose skinned and loaded in 45-50 minutes, if caping for a shoulder mount probably an hour and a half.
Deboned completely in under 2 hours.
Our rule is under a pound of meat total left on the carcass
Old 09-30-2020, 01:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Watch a few vids....very easy and efficient way....one moose by myself 2 hrs start to finish....other smaller animals well a lot less time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 AM

Ive done the gutless method and it works well. My only problem
Was with fur on the meat. I found I had a lot
More washing to do once out of the bush. I find hair is a real bugger to wash off. I butcher my own animals and find it easier to cut up and butcher a deer whole rather then cut up pieces, but that prob just me.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:13 AM

Just gut normally ...

Then practice gutless.

You have to cut rib meat out so you have to get the innards out of the way anyways.

We always use a ATV tub trailer to retrieve...so we usually gut the animal....flag a trail out of bush through path of least resistance.

Then come back with bikes and tub trailer.

I am usually so far back in bush you could forget about packing out 400 lbs of Moose on your back....
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 AM

No need to gut if your using the gutless method ,Thats why its called gutless take the ribs off, cut the loin out ,DONE.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:04 AM

We Killed and packed out 3 Elk this year. Every one was gutless method. In the end with everything taken off except Guts. So cut the windpipe in the end roll the Guts out last step then take out tenderloins , way easier than fighting to get a clean cut on them.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
Just gut normally ...

Then practice gutless.

You have to cut rib meat out so you have to get the innards out of the way anyways.

We always use a ATV tub trailer to retrieve...so we usually gut the animal....flag a trail out of bush through path of least resistance.

Then come back with bikes and tub trailer.

I am usually so far back in bush you could forget about packing out 400 lbs of Moose on your back....
If you can drive an ATV to the moose, you’re not that far back in the bush ! lol
Old 09-30-2020, 09:49 AM

Its all I do

My son is perfect at it. He can do a moose, deboned and in bags in less that 2 hours

And, he cuts 2 ribs and reaches in and takes the heart to boot

He carries an XL ziplock bag, puts the rib meat into it with his spices and cooks it over a fire that day or the next

He has it figured. A deer is a 30 minute job tops
Old 09-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Did my first deer this year after helping a friend with a moose last year.
Went really well
Get one of these - incredible how much easier it makes it.
(Best price I've found in Canada)
https://outdoorpros.ca/product/outdoor-edge-zip-blade/
Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Fred Eicler (love or hate him) has an awesome video on YouTube about gutless method on a cow elk. I used it and it went very well
Old 09-30-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Fred Eicler (love or hate him) has an awesome video on YouTube about gutless method on a cow elk. I used it and it went very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kJIrW1IDM

That actually is one of the better videos. I would be a lot more careful about getting cut hair all over and keeping my clothes a bunch cleaner but outside of that it is a pretty good demonstration of gutless.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Last step for me is to cut off the last 3 ribs on either side of the backbone, then cut backbone and flip it up. Now the the tenderloins are fully exposed and easy to get out
Old 09-30-2020, 01:42 PM

So this may be a silly question (note I've not done this method, never tried it, nor have a watched the videos yet, so really have no idea) But if you're just packing out meat, what does one typically do to retain proof of sex and species. I may try it this year as I have a couple doe tags to fill. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Last step for me is to cut off the last 3 ribs on either side of the backbone, then cut backbone and flip it up. Now the the tenderloins are fully exposed and easy to get out
Exactly
Old 09-30-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
So this may be a silly question (note I've not done this method, never tried it, nor have a watched the videos yet, so really have no idea) But if you're just packing out meat, what does one typically do to retain proof of sex and species. I may try it this year as I have a couple doe tags to fill. Thanks!
I just did a WT doe on the weekend - On one of the hindquarters I make sure to keep the tail on as well as the udders. My tag is also on there too, so every other piece is completely skinned out and pretty clean when I get home.

To shed some weight I also take the time to cut the lower part off of the remaining legs as well.

Takes a little practice doing it solo, but is really easy. 'Just take your time!
Old 09-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Works well and I stay cleaner usually.

I’ve used the gutless method many years on elk and moose that need to be loaded onto horses, back packed or hung on a meatpole.
I just taught a couple new hunting partners the gutless method last weak on one of thier moose out in the sticks last week. Should have been two moose but that’s another story.
I’ve done the gutless method on one mule deer and an antelope because I had to backpack them out.
The only thing I leave behind on the gutless method is the spine and lower leg bones. I prefer an axe for the ribs and scull plate but don’t always carry one.

It’s a worthwhile skill to learn.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Ive done the gutless method and it works well. My only problem
Was with fur on the meat. I found I had a lot
More washing to do once out of the bush. I find hair is a real bugger to wash off. I butcher my own animals and find it easier to cut up and butcher a deer whole rather then cut up pieces, but that prob just me.
How are you splitting the hide?

I ask because in several of the videos I've seen, the initial full length cut along the back bone, or belly if you're going to gut, is made cutting from the outside, through the hair.

That will result in more hair on the meat then need be.

If you cut from the inside then I'm not sure why you'd get a lot of hair on the meat.

If you're cutting from the outside you could try cutting from the inside.

The way I was shown, one starts the cut by pulling the hide away from the body, then inserts the knife through the hide, edge up under the hide.
I then push the knife towards the rear of the animal so that the knife slices the hide from the inside.

Describing the method isn't the best way so here's a video that demonstrates what I am talking about.

You only need to watch the first 45 seconds to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1HuJAQ1f40

In this scene the hide has already been split but the butcher is shown splitting the hide on the leg exactly as he would along the backbone or belly.

If you watch carefully you will see that the knife edge is facing up, away from the meat, and the cut is happening from the inside of the hide.

Doing it that way parts the hair, and leaves it attached to the hide. Cutting from the outside cuts a lot of hair off of the hide which can then fall onto the meat.

A word of caution for those who might want to use this method on an animal they intend to gut.

One needs to make sure they don't cut into the body cavity while doing the initial cut. There are a few different ways to do this but that's for a different thread. Or watch a few videos about skinning out game and you'll probably find a few that demonstrates at least one why to avoid cutting too deep.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-30-2020, 02:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I know a couple of other tricks that help when processing an animal in the field if anyone is interested.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-30-2020, 03:59 PM

Added benefits are; leaving as much of the animal parts that you aren't going to use - back in the bush 'from whence it came' - which benefits other critters and the environment. Less possibility of spreading CWD or other diseases or parasites around. Not having to dispose of bones and useless bits wrapped in garbage bags, into a neighbourhood dumpster - to be buried forever in some landfill. Easier on us old guys not having heart attacks dragging out bones & bits we won't be using, and heaving entire animals into the bed of a truck!
Downside - keeping evidence of species/sex attached to leg tendon with tags - is often fussy work.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Did my first deer this year after helping a friend with a moose last year.

Went really well

Get one of these - incredible how much easier it makes it.

(Best price I've found in Canada)

https://outdoorpros.ca/product/outdoor-edge-zip-blade/
Excellent tool. Been using one for years. Very little cut hair too.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2020, 05:31 PM

I’ve done it twice, first year it took me nearly two hours because I took my time.

Second time with lessons learned I had my buck in my pack in under an hour. Super efficient, plus hanging the quarters in my garage was simple as hanging the individual game bags.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know a couple of other tricks that help when processing an animal in the field if anyone is interested.
Let’s hear them! Especially if they are moose related.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Fake an injury and get your hunting partners to do the work

Ohhh my back....dam went out guys....sorry

Might work once but then again hunt with semi intelligent good ol'boys....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
I’ve done it twice, first year it took me nearly two hours because I took my time.

Second time with lessons learned I had my buck in my pack in under an hour. Super efficient, plus hanging the quarters in my garage was simple as hanging the individual game bags.
YES!!!!!

Exactly how it goes

First one is kinda "hmmmmm"......

Second one is way faster

After that, shes a breeze

My son gets the animal on its stomach,legs to the sides. Looks like it is doing a belly flop

He stands at the head, with the deer head between his feet. He slices the back of the neck about an inch, puts his swing blade in the hole, and runs it right down the centre of the back to the arsehole..