Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Minimum legal calibre for big game

Title pretty much says it all, i think its the 223 but am not sure. any help is appreciated
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

Min Is .24
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Right from the hunting regs.
It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here to view Big Game Regulations and Black Bear Baiting),
an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here to view Big Game Regulations and Bowhunting),
a bow other than an authorized bow (click here to view Big Game Regulations and Bowhunting),
a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
a trap,
a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-bow)
Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 PM

BAM....Straight to the book
Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM

Makes you wonder the way some of the loads in the smaller cal's are these days, if the min calibre may be lowered to .22X (223, 22-250) with certain exceptions.

TBark
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
BAM....Straight to the book
For sure, its the best place to look.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
jrs

Therefore a 223 is not big enough for big game (incase its confusing, its still a 22 caliber round). Basically the 243 and 6mm are two rounds considerd small yet legal (theres a few more i know but those two are common).
Old 06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Note also that the cartridge length regulation has been eliminated. So one can hunt big game with a .44 mag. and a number of similar cartridges that you couldn't used to in Alberta.

Robin in Rocky
Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 AM

Nothing beats actually sitting down and reading something,
You'd have figured a feller would have got away from spoon feeding many years back.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Note also that the cartridge length regulation has been eliminated. So one can hunt big game with a .44 mag. and a number of similar cartridges that you couldn't used to in Alberta.

Robin in Rocky
This happenned only a yr or two ago.

As to the qustion why they load .22-250's and other .22 centrefires with big game bullets when they are illegal: they are illegal in AB but in the NWT and many southern states, they are legal big game cartridges.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 AM

If I remember right, in B.C all you needed was/is a centerfire. So the 22-250 is good to go.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Wonder why those cal's are not legal here then ?
Are our deer bigger and not expire humanly when hit with these smaller calibres ? Makes you wonder why the regs differ in different areas.

TBark
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 AM

AB are bigger than in the southern states, of course, but BC has big animals! Is the BC minimum a centrefire for any big game? Seems a little small for moose!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:28 PM

i find it odd that you can load a 22-250 hotter than a factory 243 and you can shoot high quality bullets but you cant shoot antelope with it
Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM

The problem with the 22-250 and 223's for game is that sooner or later someone is going to go moose hunting with one of them loaded with a 40gr. pill, and all of a sudden all sorts of wounded game will be found, and a bunch of people will get up in arms, and then the hunter bashing will start etc. etc. Come to think of it my Dad told me of the days when the Swift and Hornet were legal for Big Game here in Alberta (late 40's early 50's) He explained the furor of the day when all sorts of suffering game was found because some dip Sh!t, who could'nt hit the ground with his hat thought a 22 varmint gun was just the ticket for large cloven hoffed critters. PO Ackly in his first edition loading manual took all measure of game with zippy 22's and 17's but he even stated he chose his shots carefully and often made head shots.
You have to remember not everyone reloads, and a grave majority of hunters out there are p!ss poor shots and would be quite reckless if given the opportunity to shoot sub calibre munitions.
Actually a grave majority of todays hunters would most likely not shed any more a tear if deer season was cancelled, than if the NHL players went on strike again.
Sad but true.
All you gotta look at some of the poor knowledge questions posed here to see that excepting the regulars here most of the so called hunters only partake because it's convenient, not because it's a passion/obsession.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM

i remember the first blak bear and whitetail i ever shot, 1 shot with a 243 win. i find it hard to believe that some people think they need a 338 for deer
Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The problem with the 22-250 and 223's for game is that sooner or later someone is going to go moose hunting with one of them loaded with a 40gr. pill, and all of a sudden all sorts of wounded game will be found, and a bunch of people will get up in arms, and then the hunter bashing will start etc. etc. Come to think of it my Dad told me of the days when the Swift and Hornet were legal for Big Game here in Alberta (late 40's early 50's) He explained the furor of the day when all sorts of suffering game was found because some dip Sh!t, who could'nt hit the ground with his hat thought a 22 varmint gun was just the ticket for large cloven hoffed critters. PO Ackly in his first edition loading manual took all measure of game with zippy 22's and 17's but he even stated he chose his shots carefully and often made head shots.
You have to remember not everyone reloads, and a grave majority of hunters out there are p!ss poor shots and would be quite reckless if given the opportunity to shoot sub calibre munitions.
Actually a grave majority of todays hunters would most likely not shed any more a tear if deer season was cancelled, than if the NHL players went on strike again.
Sad but true.
All you gotta look at some of the poor knowledge questions posed here to see that excepting the regulars here most of the so called hunters only partake because it's convenient, not because it's a passion/obsession.
So true in all aspects man.....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM

So it sounds like if the effort was put in to fine tuning this regulation, changing it from all big game, to deer & antelope only, and listing the calibres, and the casing & powder loads, that it should then be acceptable to hunt deer & antelope with some of these rifles ?

TBark
Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
There is likely some truth to this statement but I think that people who ask these type of questions should be encouraged to do so because at least they are showing some effort to learn. Fortunately, most of the regulars take time to help people out instead of ridiculing them for their lack of knowledge.

Chet
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
sheephunter

Ya, I have to agree that there are no stupid questions.....we all start with very little knowledge and the only way to increase it is to ask. Certainly there are those that don't want to learn and try to display their knowledge by talking louder about things they know nothing about but for those that truly just want to learn, they should be encouraged to ask questions....no matter how simple they seem to some of us.

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-26-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 PM

I think Ontario is a min. of .270 for hunting big game
Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM

sheephunter, well said.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ya, I have to agree that there are no stupid questions.....we all start with very little knowledge and the only way to increase it is to ask. Certainly there are those that don't want to learn and try to display their knowledge by talking louder about things they know nothing about but for those that truly just want to learn, they should be encouraged to ask questions....no matter how simple they seem to some of us.
The only stupid questions are the ones I laugh at.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
There is likely some truth to this statement but I think that people who ask these type of questions should be encouraged to do so because at least they are showing some effort to learn. Fortunately, most of the regulars take time to help people out instead of ridiculing them for their lack of knowledge.

Chet
Chet: I sense that perhaps you missed the jist of my tone.
An honest to godness noobie question is one thing, but when you know for a fact that a feller is just throwing out a question which is located in the first 5 pages of the hunting regs, and you know said fellow has hunted for numerous years and still the inane questions abound, I begin to question either their validity of said question, or perhaps his fondness for hunting.
The fact still remains that we here who are regulars, and actually strive to stay abreast of the things hunting oriented are in a minority. Most of the people who buy a hunting licence are not that dedicated nor that interested actually, most of them do it because it's the thing to do at the time.
This is the problem with the hunting communtiy just look at the AFGA membership, roughly 30,000 members, yet nearly 200,000 wildlife certificates are sold annually in Alberta. That's a wopping 15% of all licenced hunters. Ok so maybe 10% are Aliens, and another 15% are doubled up housholds, that's still should leave 75% of all hunters to join something. Even if another 20% have some issue with the AFGA that should still leave a bit over 100,000 members for the AFGA.
Like I said some people are just a bit lacking in the I wonder how department, and even more belong to the spoon feed me sector.
The internet was some 25 years in the future when I started out in this tossed up never come down game of hunting shooting and reloading. And I was the only person I knew who reloaded. Guess how I learnt stuff? First I read.
Then I listened to the willy ol masters when they could be found at a gun show or gun shop, or range. And thirdly I dabbled tweeked, and often gained another Degree from the School of Hard Knocks. Lastly and only if all my resources were exausted did I actuially seek the advice of someone else, that's if I could find some one.
Guess what I gained? Much knowledge in things hunting and shooting oriented, and I actually retained the concepts, theories, and procedures.
As an old willy welder I knew once said "this microwave generation is something to behold, the expect everything instantly, and don't expect to lift a finger to get it"
I think he summed up my perspective on noobie questions pretty good.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Chet: I sense that perhaps you missed the jist of my tone.
Maybe I am missing your the gist of your tone, but I am getting the exact same tone from your last post.

I get a bit annoyed with some of the questions that pop up as well but I think it is pretty tough to tell who is asking the question.... especially on the internet. Your account of how you learned things 30+ years ago sounds pretty standard for the time. I have held hunting licences for 20 years now myself and gathered information much the same way, but that doesn't really matter. The internet has replaced a lot of methods of learning for people in this day and age. It's replaced a lot of the gun counter converations that many of us don't have enough of anymore. I'm not saying its better, but that's the way its is.

I just want people to feel comfortable about asking questions on here. Dick, I'm not accusing you of not being helpful on this board. In fact you are one of the better sources of info on here. When you direct someone to a loading manual for a reloading question or the regulations for legal issue I think that it is often the best reply to a question that can be given.

Sorry for getting so far off topic.

Chet
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Default not trying to pick the fly crap out of the pepper, but

the minimum caliber to hunt is .23..
not .24 or 6mm as stated..
its just not a round your likely to find on the gunstore shelfs any time soon, i suspect..so the 24 is the next logical choice.
a hi perf cf 22 would do big game like lopes or deer, its just not the best choice, and i dont think the average hunter should select it, even if it was legal.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Dick knows a thing or two about guns but otherwise he is a bloviating gas bag and we all learned not to take him too seriously.

Over my vast and storied career as a professional white hunter I have noticed that some people seem to want to regard hunting as some kind of arcane science, with themselves as elite authorities.

Hunting should not be an obsession, it should be fun. The best way to learn about it is to do it!

I keep two magnums in my desk.
One is a gun that I keep loaded.
The other is a bottle of booze that keeps me loaded!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ferguson Rifleman View Post
Dick knows a thing or two about guns but otherwise he is a bloviating gas bag and we all learned not to take him too seriously.

Over my vast and storied career as a professional white hunter I have noticed that some people seem to want to regard hunting as some kind of arcane science, with themselves as elite authorities.

Hunting should not be an obsession, it should be fun. The best way to learn about it is to do it!

Amen to that. Nothing like gaining knowledge through your own experiences. But nothing wrong with getting a few solid tips
Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 PM

i asked the question because i couldnt find my copy of the regs. I dont need to be scolded or told that im not a good hunter because i dont know what the minimum calibre is to hunt in alberta. The are no dumb or stupid questions only some that may or may not need an answer. in this case it would be better for someone to ask then to assume and be wrong is it not? Nobody needs to be belittled because they dont know the answer to a relatively simple question
Old 06-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Default obsession

yeah i sure like to hunt but it's not a obsession. i have other activities like hockey and ball and can't ever think that i will be obsessed with hunting and only hunting. i like to think that i know what i'm doing. i have learned lots from doing things myself, taking to other guys, reading some books, and i have learned lots from this message board. i think no matter how long you have been at it you still have room to learn. i think lots of people don't have to members of the afga to be knowledgable if that's what you meant, it's not for everyone. lots of people have varied interests and don't have time to gain the wealth of knowledge of reloading and other things that dick is skilled at. i think anyone should feel comfortable asking questions on this board. there is nothing worse than not knowing something because you are scared to ask.