Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Default severn..whats up?

Been out to severn twice, friends have been out a few times and talked to a couple older gentelmen and between the lot of us....not a single bite. It works out to many many man hours on the lake and all with the same result. Has anyone had any luck? Have we all just hit bummer fishing days or is something up? And if you do go out there, the dam looks driveable but there has been no plow out there so you cant drive on the ice nor would I suggest trying to drive onto the dam. Just before you hit the dam there is a spot of snow that is like quicksand. Barely got out of it.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM

I went out there once in spring after they stocked it and caught a couple nice bows on the fly rod. I think it gets hammered from the time it's stocked until first ice, judging by all the people I saw with powerbait rigs keeping 6-inch trout. Oh well, thats a stocked lake for ya....

I certainly wouldn't keep anything out of that brown coloured manure smelling water.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM

That success rate is typicial for Servern at this time of year. Ice fishing is usually good up to about Christmas. After that the fish seem to go dormant. Come ice off, the fishing is usually pretty good.