Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Gap Lake Brookies (by Exahaw)

Howdy,

Reading through previous threads, there's not a heck of a lot of info on this lake. Got a pointer from a local that the brookies can be sizeable but few in #'s because browns & whites dominate the water. Was thinking of heading out this weekend to try ice fishing it, but apparently the ice on this lake can be pretty variable (due to a culvert attached to the bow). Will be sure to take care on the ice if I end up going. Anyone on AO ever ice fished it before? Is there actually still a lake after all the flooding was said & done?

Cheers
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM

I have chucked many bugs on Gap. And only ever had a few fish. I would be hard pressed to name anyone I know that has pulled out a Brook. The ice there will be very sketchy. The risk you will be taking on there vs the productive level of the lake. I would not even waste my time. There are many other choices out there I would be looking at rather then Gap.

However if you are going to give it a shot. Stay well away from the far side. The culvert's are along the far side under the train tracks. I would say the North West corner of the lake would be your safest bet.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM

all I've ever heard of that lake is that you can maybe catch 1 fish for 8 hours of fishing. If you do though, it's big.. Usually browns, but the AB record mountain white is from there as well

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 AM

We only go for opening day or near there, can have good days once and a while. would be pretty interesting trying to get into there now! Won't be fun unless you have a sled.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM

The 1 culvert is near the SE corner. Right now there is a slow trickle coming out of the lake because the river is below the level of the lake. Spring fed lake right now.

Not a deep lake with a generally mud bottom.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM

All great feedback. Thanks again :-). So just for clarity, water flows into the bow from Gap? Do you guys know where the springs are (just to try to stay clear of them). I've never been, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM

During low water levels, water flows into the river. When the river rises at the end of may, the water flows from the river to the lake. During the summer, the level of the 2 are constant until the level of the river drops below the bottom of the culvert in late summer, early fall. At that point the springs keep the lake filled.

Sorry, I cant remember where the springs are located.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 PM

I have driven by this lake in January and there is open water from the springs. They tended to be along the southwest side if i remember.

Good luck out there, be safe.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Will be safe out there. Thanks again for the good info. Worst case is that the ice is unstable, & I'll head up to Spray. I'm really just prospecting for decent Brookie lakes close to Calgary. Seems like a rare commodity.