Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Default pigeon lake report

Tons of snow was out at 8 am at provincial park, walked out fished 12 to 16 feet of water for nothing. Not even marking any flasher. Moved across lake and fished 8 to 12 fow. Not a fish all day. Not even a bite. Then at 430 pm started marking and hooking up. Super light bite. I lost two Walleye at the hole and three on the hook set or way up. My uncle lost one and the jaw jacker lost one. For an hour fishing was great just couldn't get them on the ice. 1 to 2 inches of slush with 12 to 18 inches of snow. 14 inches of ice 4 to 5 of it whit ice top layer. No truck tracks on ice. Saw three other groups walk out.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the report Brandon I'm going to try gull sat and hope to spend a couple hours at pigeon looking to fill a couple over 50cm tags.

With the slush report do you figure a guy could run a snowmobile out there.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Thanks for the report Brandon I'm going to try gull sat and hope to spend a couple hours at pigeon looking to fill a couple over 50cm tags.

With the slush report do you figure a guy could run a snowmobile out there.
You will not have a problem with a snowmobile. There were plenty out last Saturday and they were all over the lake.

Of course this was before the wind and +9 degree days.

I don't have a camera, so I'm not sure, but if those were all Walleyes last Saturday it was like Brandonkop said "Super light bite". I got all mine to the hole, though but only because I was using 4 pound test line and, therefore, playing them very carefully. Litterally only had them hooked by about 2 mm of skin on the outer part of the lip.

Good luck to you
Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
You will not have a problem with a snowmobile. There were plenty out last Saturday and they were all over the lake.

Of course this was before the wind and +9 degree days.

I don't have a camera, so I'm not sure, but if those were all Walleyes last Saturday it was like Brandonkop said "Super light bite". I got all mine to the hole, though but only because I was using 4 pound test line and, therefore, playing them very carefully. Litterally only had them hooked by about 2 mm of skin on the outer part of the lip.

Good luck to you
Awesome sounds like rubber boots and my light strike rigs will be getting packed!!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Yeah snow mobile would have been awesome out there... now with this wind and warmth will be a little crust but still fine. The slush was nothing compared to other lakes I've been on this year. You don't even need rubber boots.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

jeepers brandon sounds like you have moved back to alberta with all the time youv'e spent up here lately. don't blame you. what does california have that we don't. lol.
good thing you weren't out there today. would have been blown away. wonder how many brave souls are on the ice today?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
jeepers brandon sounds like you have moved back to alberta with all the time youv'e spent up here lately. don't blame you. what does california have that we don't. lol.
good thing you weren't out there today. would have been blown away. wonder how many brave souls are on the ice today?
Yeah I was thinking of giving it a try but I think everything would blow away. There comes a point when the arc in the line from the hole to the tip of the rod is so great you can no longer feel a bite. No use out in the open today so spending it will my girls.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Hey Brandon, would driving on in a 4x4 be possible or too much snow/slush? Me and a buddy heading out Saturday to fill tags, we'll probably try Mulhurst or PP.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM

I tried filling tags at PP this past Sunday, fished until after dark 4' to 12' and only managed 2 tiny oike
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Hey Brandon, would driving on in a 4x4 be possible No or too much snow/slush? Yes Me and a buddy heading out Saturday to fill tags, we'll probably try Mulhurst or PP.
One quad made it out but it was basically walking or snow machines only last weekend. By the looks of the tracks one guy tried to get his 4X4 on at Mulhurst but he sure did not get far, only made it a foot off the boat launch ramp before getting stuck.

What size tags do you have. I only caught A size eyes last weekend.

Good Luck
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. We'll walk it! We have class A (>50cm) tags. Fishing any good at Mulhurst?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 AM

does anyone catch whitefish at pp?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 AM

Way to much snow for a truck when we went. Too deep. Mulhurst boat ramp wasn't even cleared well, big pile of snow to go through to even get on the lake. Maybe the wind and warm weather will make it possible soon.