Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old 11-23-2022, 10:37 AM
wallz wallz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 371
Default

On the weekend I finished up my 303 loading, and moved on to the 243 loads.

Only got 50 of those done, so as time comes around I can make some more, and then move onto my 44 mag.
Reply With Quote
  #842  
Old 11-26-2022, 01:21 PM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

Ok…I blew it up. The loading room, that is. So when every time you plunge the handle down on one of my presses, you hear cracks and creaks. Then, it’s time to replace the bench. The original was a repurposed door (24”x 96”). It worked. I picked up a heavy duty packing bench from Uline.



Also when your shelves are buckling under the weight of boxes of bullets and brass, then it’s also time to change out those plastic shelves for a heavy duty (rated at 1400lbs) metal and wood unit.



So much more space on the bench and storage shelving unit. You can see above my three presses on the firearm table. Just waiting for my order from Dan at In-line Fabrication to arrive next week. The presses will be mounted on top of the Micro 4” Ultramounts.
Reply With Quote
  #843  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Huntsman's Avatar
Huntsman Huntsman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Morinville
Posts: 1,312
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
started decapping and primping 60 rounds of 410, then realized that I no longer have any wads!!
Cat
I wish lol. With the cost of them now. Sheesh!
Still searching for a LEE Handloader in 410.

I on the other hand reloaded a few 20g chicken loads for Xmas leave.
Reply With Quote
  #844  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:03 PM
Huntsman's Avatar
Huntsman Huntsman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Morinville
Posts: 1,312
Thumbs up

Nice setup 6MT!! 👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #845  
Old 11-26-2022, 05:19 PM
PMJ PMJ is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Brampton On
Posts: 23
Default

Super thread.
Reply With Quote
  #846  
Old 11-26-2022, 06:34 PM
Sashi's Avatar
Sashi Sashi is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,154
Default Loaded up ammo

I cleaned 2 boxes of brass, and loaded 1 box of 8mm mauser ammo.
196gr at 2580 fps.
__________________
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."--- George Orwell
There is no way to make something "Idiot Proof" because Idiots are so resourceful.
Reply With Quote
  #847  
Old 11-26-2022, 08:27 PM
obsessed1 obsessed1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,905
Default

Hung a deer up.....
My gun room is in the garage...usually we hang out on the meat pole in the yard but it's supposed to freeze hard here tonight and this coming week so I have hang points in the g room to accommodate...can regulate temp much easier....dont have time to cut it up till later next week...
Reply With Quote
  #848  
Old 11-26-2022, 10:12 PM
no-regard's Avatar
no-regard no-regard is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 672
Default

I'm in the opposite position of Obsessed 1, finished with deer for the season so I turned the heat back on in my reloading room/garage.
Reply With Quote
  #849  
Old 12-03-2022, 09:28 PM
Smokinyotes Smokinyotes is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: onoway, Ab
Posts: 6,907
Default

Mounted the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 in Talley modern sporting rings (low) on the new Tikka CTR 6.5 PRC.

Prepped some new 6.5 PRC Lapua brass and did up some test loads with R26 and 143gr ELDX from 54-57gr. Seated them to 2.955”
Reply With Quote
  #850  
Old 12-10-2022, 02:31 PM
no-regard's Avatar
no-regard no-regard is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 672
Default

Added a new tool to the bench today, Don Nielson 'The Pumpkin' neck turner.

I haven't used it yet but it's not difficult to see what the hype is about.

I bought it, the K&M turner, and the sizing mandrel from the previous owner of my newly acquired BR rifle. The K&M will do the first cut, then final cut/clean up will be done with the pumpkin.





Reply With Quote
  #851  
Old 12-13-2022, 07:26 PM
Sashi's Avatar
Sashi Sashi is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,154
Default new to me HVA 46b

Just received a 46b from Inter surplus. It had a base screw sheared off, which I could see from the picture, other than that It was drilled and tapped. I was able to drill out the sheared off screw and and remove it quite easily. Then when I went to install the Weaver bases I found the holes were smaller than the 6x48 screws which came with the bases. So after a lot of searching I measured the screw which I had extracted and found it to be 3mm. At Canadian Tire I found (4) 3mm x50 screws. So I took them home and tried them; they fit perfect. then I found the holes for the rear base were drilled too close together, then ground out holes in the rear base. To make a long story short a scope has now been mounted. That's my last two days in the reloading room.
__________________
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."--- George Orwell
There is no way to make something "Idiot Proof" because Idiots are so resourceful.
Reply With Quote
  #852  
Old 12-14-2022, 07:32 PM
Sashi's Avatar
Sashi Sashi is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,154
Default

Didn't work could not sight in. Scope moving around. Back to plan a A: Redrill holes to 6x48.
__________________
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."--- George Orwell
There is no way to make something "Idiot Proof" because Idiots are so resourceful.
Reply With Quote
  #853  
Old 12-14-2022, 09:25 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,476
Default

loaded some 6mmBR for Saturday's match, and 50 40/65's for the Sharps, both paper patch and powder coated bullets.
About to start on some 280 Remington for the Ruger.....
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #854  
Old 12-28-2022, 02:53 PM
huntinstuff's Avatar
huntinstuff huntinstuff is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 9,552
Default

30-30 brass resizing, cleaning and trim if needed.....
__________________
When you are born, you get a ticket to the Freak Show.
If you are born in Canada, you get a front row seat.
Reply With Quote
  #855  
Old 12-28-2022, 11:12 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,476
Default

Loaded another 100 6mmBr for my irons rifle and set it up better for my winter jacket in preperation foe 800 and 1,000 meters tomorrow
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #856  
Old 12-29-2022, 02:25 PM
wallz wallz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 371
Default

Had a few busy days over Christmas.

Bought a new 45-70 for my brother, as he always wanted one. Mounted a scope, zero at 100, and then worked up a load for it. Then loaded 170 rounds for him to be ready when he comes to pick it up.

Then worked on my nephews 44 mag. Ran up 300 rounds for him.

Also mounted a new scope for my wife's 7-08, and had some range time to zero it. Then played out with it to all the gongs from 100 m to 600 M at the range. The new BDX scope to go with the BDX3000 bino. Had a lot of fun with it, even on the windy day.

Then verified a new primer for the 243 I was loading for. Want to save the large rifle match primers for the upcoming 6.5 creed build, so changed up to the rem large rifle primers for the 243. She will work just fine with the load I already worked up.
Reply With Quote
  #857  
Old 01-01-2023, 08:38 PM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default



De-capped 250 cases from today’s range trip. Then into the tumbler for 2 hours. And onto the drying trays.
Reply With Quote
  #858  
Old 01-02-2023, 06:14 PM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

Today, it was my first chance to test out the new bench and set-up.

To begin…annealing some 45-70 cases.



Then F.L. sizing these 45-70 cases on the Co-ax.



Now onto F.L. sizing and neck flaring some .45 Colt cases on the Lee turret.



Priming the Colt cases is next on the Co-ax.



Now to charge the Colt cases.



And finally, bullet seating and crimping on the Lee turret press.



My evaluation is pretty good! The new set-up is not too far off what I had before the re-do. The biggest change is having no flex in any press operation. Everything is as solid as a rock. No more press operations by feel. Another issue (really a first world problem though), is my chair. Because the presses are situated higher then before, I find my chair is too low. Just not comfortable operating the presses. So I ordered a taller one from Amazon. Should be here in a few days.

All in all, it feels terrific. I performed most operations today that I normally would do. I am back to cranking out precision cartridges for all of the 9 calibers I load.
Reply With Quote
  #859  
Old 01-03-2023, 10:28 AM
wallz wallz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Today, it was my first chance to test out the new bench and set-up.

To begin…annealing some 45-70 cases.


Then F.L. sizing these 45-70 cases on the Co-ax.



Now onto F.L. sizing and neck flaring some .45 Colt cases on the Lee turret.



Priming the Colt cases is next on the Co-ax.


Now to charge the Colt cases.


And finally, bullet seating and crimping on the Lee turret press.


My evaluation is pretty good! The new set-up is not too far off what I had before the re-do. The biggest change is having no flex in any press operation. Everything is as solid as a rock. No more press operations by feel. Another issue (really a first world problem though), is my chair. Because the presses are situated higher then before, I find my chair is too low. Just not comfortable operating the presses. So I ordered a taller one from Amazon. Should be here in a few days.

All in all, it feels terrific. I performed most operations today that I normally would do. I am back to cranking out precision cartridges for all of the 9 calibers I load.
All of that fancy stuff on the bench and still priming on the press???

Get a bench mounted primer and complete the process of entering the 21 century. lol

No really, it will simplify and speed up the mundane priming process considerably and you no longer have to fondle each primer individually like that.
Reply With Quote
  #860  
Old 01-03-2023, 10:40 AM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
All of that fancy stuff on the bench and still priming on the press???

Get a bench mounted primer and complete the process of entering the 21 century. lol

No really, it will simplify and speed up the mundane priming process considerably and you no longer have to fondle each primer individually like that.
I've tried the RCBS bench mounted unit. I've tried the hand held units. I've looked at the high end units too. I really like the feel and ease of priming on the Co-ax. I don't really mind "the mundane" process at all. The priming process on the Co-ax gives a great feel of how tight the pocket is and the positive feel of seating the primer. That in itself out weighs any speed or ease of other systems.

Heck, I still use the Lee scoops to do bulk powder measures. To each their own. It works well for me.

I won't go back.
Reply With Quote
  #861  
Old 01-03-2023, 11:35 AM
waldedw's Avatar
waldedw waldedw is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lloydminster
Posts: 4,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I've tried the RCBS bench mounted unit. I've tried the hand held units. I've looked at the high end units too. I really like the feel and ease of priming on the Co-ax. I don't really mind "the mundane" process at all. The priming process on the Co-ax gives a great feel of how tight the pocket is and the positive feel of seating the primer. That in itself out weighs any speed or ease of other systems.

Heck, I still use the Lee scoops to do bulk powder measures. To each their own. It works well for me.

I won't go back.
I hear you bud, I still prime each case manually in the press, I can feel the pressure it takes to seat, I also still use the lee scoops then trickle and weigh each charge on a balance scale that's 45 years old, one at a time start to finish, I'm old school, most of my loading equipment is original purchase, it works.
__________________
The problem we have today is that the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 01-03-2023, 03:37 PM
LJalberta LJalberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 519
Default

Some incredible setups in this thread.

I picked up some Hammer bullets early last year. Finally got around to loading some up. Prepped some 124gr Hammer Hunters with Varget and H4350 for an 18.5” 6.5 Creedmoor. It will be interesting to see which of the powders works better for the lighter bullets in the short barrel. I suspect Varget will be the winner.
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 01-04-2023, 11:24 PM
wallz wallz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I've tried the RCBS bench mounted unit. I've tried the hand held units. I've looked at the high end units too. I really like the feel and ease of priming on the Co-ax. I don't really mind "the mundane" process at all. The priming process on the Co-ax gives a great feel of how tight the pocket is and the positive feel of seating the primer. That in itself out weighs any speed or ease of other systems.

Heck, I still use the Lee scoops to do bulk powder measures. To each their own. It works well for me.

I won't go back.
Thats why I ended up with the Forster primer seater. Compliments the press perfectly.

I hear ya on the scoops, as I use them, then a quick trickle up on my beam scale.

Did 50 rounds of 243 today, and the 20 rounds of 45-70 I shot on the weekend, and 15 of the 303 Brit.
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 01-05-2023, 08:28 AM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

Loaded 100 rounds of .44mag.
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 01-05-2023, 07:51 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,476
Default

Just getting ready to bolt up a new barrel and inlet it intpo a Boyds lighweight thumbhole stock for a friend Natek
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 01-08-2023, 09:50 AM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

It’s a Lee scoops kind of morning….

Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 01-10-2023, 10:17 PM
6MT's Avatar
6MT 6MT is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 955
Default

Tonight, I was loading 450gr Spitzers over 38.0gr of IMR4198….for some 45-70 goodness.



Seating for a CBTO of 2.20” and a .005” jump.



That is one big-a s s bullet (for FCP bullets). It does seat a long way into that case!



And there you have it…precision 45-70 rounds. If the weather ever warms up, I’ll shoot them.



Just like this…

Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 01-11-2023, 12:14 AM
Rdamours Rdamours is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St Albert
Posts: 810
Default

I just did a quick YouTube video of resizing 30-06 to 8mm brass. We’re using imr 4350 and reloading 196 gr ppu prvi sp on the next round. 53-54 gr of imr4350 work out in the 2500-2600 range. We just used imr4350 as we had an extra pound.

https://youtu.be/U1-Fs1LUll8




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
I cleaned 2 boxes of brass, and loaded 1 box of 8mm mauser ammo.
196gr at 2580 fps.
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 01-11-2023, 12:28 AM
Rdamours Rdamours is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St Albert
Posts: 810
Default

Nice setup man. Looks like an OR. Surgically clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Ok…I blew it up. The loading room, that is. So when every time you plunge the handle down on one of my presses, you hear cracks and creaks. Then, it’s time to replace the bench. The original was a repurposed door (24”x 96”). It worked. I picked up a heavy duty packing bench from Uline.



Also when your shelves are buckling under the weight of boxes of bullets and brass, then it’s also time to change out those plastic shelves for a heavy duty (rated at 1400lbs) metal and wood unit.



So much more space on the bench and storage shelving unit. You can see above my three presses on the firearm table. Just waiting for my order from Dan at In-line Fabrication to arrive next week. The presses will be mounted on top of the Micro 4” Ultramounts.
Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 01-11-2023, 05:59 AM
~altiplano~ ~altiplano~ is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 105
Default

Some great setups in here!

I'm just looking at starting to build a reloading room. Not a great time with shortage of rifle primers and supplies, but I figure I want to be ready and you gotta start somewhere... I ordered a RCBS Rebel kit and case trimmer.

I've got a lot to learn. Not really sure yet what dies I should get yet, or consumables... I figure I'll get into the book and piece things together as I go.

I'm looking to reload for my 6.5cmr & 280ai to start, planning a 30 cal build later this year too, maybe 300 PRC or 30 nosler.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.