Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Default How many arrows and time to tune?

Hi All,

It's my first season bow hunting and I'm running some used gear. Currently I've got seven arrows that are tunes nicely and I've managed three misses that resulted in a hard impact slightly bending the arrows (they're high quality old school aluminum). That leaves me with four currently that I'm very happy with. It got me thinking of two questions.

1. How many arrows do you consider to be minimum before you buy more?

2. How long does it take you to tune up a new set? I don't want it to be prime-time-rut when I need to take a week off to tweak some new darts.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 PM

IMHO, Go to a pro shop and buy a new dozen arrows now before the season starts. I always personally have 12 tuned arrows with broadheads before a season starts.

LC
Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO, Go to a pro shop and buy a new dozen arrows now before the season starts. I always personally have 12 tuned arrows with broadheads before a season starts.

LC

So how many do you have to be down before you pick up a new dozen. And how long does it take you to tune them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have a dozen arrows ready to go, six broad heads on arrows ready to go as for tuning hmmmmm pro shop help is the way I would go but I am not that finicky all arrows at 30 yards in a 3" area good to go if I do my part.

I also have other arrows with judo points on them for other critters too.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more....no timeline just fun.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
So how many do you have to be down before you pick up a new dozen. And how long does it take you to tune them?

More than 4 for sure. And if you take one of those 4 into the pro shop like LC suggests, the pro shop will match you up with the same arrows if available, or something that will not require a "full" retune of bow / sights.

58's advice of having at least 6 arrows ready to hunt with is great as well. Missing an animal and losing an arrow will be a momentary pause in the hunting season if you have 6 spare ones at home to reload with for the next day.

J.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 AM

I usually have a dozen, with a spare 1/2 or full dozen waiting just in case. Certain shops will allow you to purchase 1/2 a dozen.

LC
Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 PM

4 with hunting broadheads and 1 with a judo tip in my quiver. Another 5 ready to go at home.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 PM

Default Much appreciated

It'll be time for some shopping once we get another couple deals done at work.

How long should I budget time-wise to tweak new arrows? Is it a single range visit? Can you even shoot broadheads at most ranges? I've got outdoor places to shoot too.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The biggest part of the equation to get an answer to your question is you as you are the one releasing the arrows, now if your a rookie I would suggest a pro shop so they can instruct you to get you there perhaps quicker.
Good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
It'll be time for some shopping once we get another couple deals done at work.

How long should I budget time-wise to tweak new arrows? Is it a single range visit? Can you even shoot broadheads at most ranges? I've got outdoor places to shoot too.
No you cannot shoot broadheads at most ranges, some allow it but you must bring your own target.

Jimbows Calgary has a special target butt to shoot 20 yrds indoors you get started out. They charge a per hour fee I believe to use it.

Takes as long as it takes you to get dialed in...can’t really answer that.

You are going to have a tough time finding aluminum hunting arrows, you are likely going to have to switch to carbon...that means a full retune and sight in of your bow. You should get that done sooner than later. How long ago did you start with archery?

LC
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM

Trophy book in spruce grove also has the virtual lane and target butts to get you lined up
Old 08-17-2018, 12:23 PM

I have a different opinion than most in this thread. If it's your first year bowhunting the reality is the number of shot opportunities that you will get within your effective range is going to be limited. My first season I only took 2 shots. Do you have 4 tags to fill? Ie; 1 arrow for each tag. I think you could get by and then after this season switch to a carbon arrow and buy a dozen. Right now you won't be able to shoot both old and new arrows with the same setup so you will have to stick to one anyway and retune again.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:36 PM

I would never start a season regardless of whether it was my first or last with 4 arrows but that’s me.

I would personally go to a pro shop and get a fresh dozen, have them setup the bow and paper tune to match, then you need to sight in to effective distance.

LC
Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Banned

My advise to you would be the same as others have mentioned, spend the money and buy a dozen, or better yet 2 dozen arrows but try to find them when they're on sale. It's best if they're all the same then you won't have to adjust your sights for years to come.

I watch Cabelas for sales, sometimes you can get 50% off.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would never start a season regardless of whether it was my first or last with 4 arrows but that’s me.

I would personally go to a pro shop and get a fresh dozen, have them setup the bow and paper tune to match, then you need to sight in to effective distance.

LC
LC is correct. And I’d be getting this done yesterday as bow season is only 1-2 weeks out.

In my first 2 years hunting archery I probably went through 3-4 arrows each season before finally connecting on an animal in my second year. I was shooting an older bow that wasn’t very fast. Shots last 30m are common as you’re still learning how to get closer. Adrenaline, and targets that react/move all start to play factors that you can’t really practice for. That said, I’m sure some guys go out and shoot one deer with one arrow- good on them, and that’s what we can all hope for. But expect and prepare for worst case scenario.

REALISTICALLY if you go out with less than 6 arrows tuned and set up, you will probably find yourself disappointed and in a bind. If you go out with 4 arrows and miss twice, maybe lose the arrow or break them on a tree- then you have 2 arrows to start your next day with. That doesn’t bring much confidence. 6-12 arrows I’d say is a happy place to be.

Shoot your arrows and number them with felt pen on the fletching, number them in order of most consistent and accurate. Your #4-6 arrows don’t need to be shooting as dead straight as your #1-3 arrows, they are there for back up in all reality. They don’t need to shoot same hole, having this expectation may bring frustration. As said above, 3” groups at 30m will most likely Suffice.

Hope this helps. I just went through it a couple years ago. As you hunt archery more, you will acquire more gear and more tackle. It doesn’t need to be an expensive and stressful thing to get into. Practice and shoot lots. You can never have enough practice as hunting living game and shooting targets all year long are very different.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:36 PM

I’m always cautious as heck about buying stuff on sale at Cabela’s. Any stuff to go for or run from? I’m shooting a #55 with a 28” draw right now. I believe the aluminum arrows I have now with a 100 grain Broadhead bring me into the low 400s both for weight and spine.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 PM

I was prepared to pick up a dozen and work them up when I happened along someone selling almost exactly the same arrows on kijiji. All rolled straight as can be, now to see how they group.

It’ll be new arrows next season, we’ll how this year goes.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Banned

I make sure I have 6. They can get expensive, but they are easily attained.
I haven’t had much work in the last while so this year my son is going out with 4 for the start of the season. We are switching his arrows out at the end of the season anyway so I really am hoping that they can make it through the season.