Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Pike on the fly.

With limited time these days it's seems like my trips to the southern part of the province chasing trout have dwindled down to a couple trips a year. To fill the void I often float tube around Edmonton areas pot hole lakes for stocked rainbows. Just this past year I started floating some shallow bays, tossing big streamers for pike. I haven't bothered to put the time in to chase anything big as I'm perfectly content with the action the small pike offer this time of year. The typical pencil pike that you drag in on its side with hard tackle are a blast on a fly rod. Anybody else floattube/kayak for northerns in the Edmonton area?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM

I've also gotten into pike near edmonton this year. I've been using my drift boat primarily (when there isnt wind, haha). Walleye are pretty fun on fly gear too.

Fun times for sure! PM me if you'd like to join forces for a trip!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM

I actually saw a really informative DVD on fishing for pike on the fly I'll have to get the name of it because it was a good one I'd like to watch it again.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 PM

I will post it here once I find it if you'd like?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin g View Post
I will post it here once I find it if you'd like?
Pike on the fly, in pursuit of the river wolf with Barry Reynolds?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:12 PM

I took a look on the ole interweb and couldn't really point out the cover of any specific DVD. I got it from the guys down at fishtales fly shop in their video rental department if you ask there I'm sure they would be able to tell you what it is.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM

It had tons of information about pike in general Like where they usuallly sit in bodies of water and during what season. When they are usually breeding. That kind of stuff then it went onto different techniques to use during the different seasons when they are down deep or up near the surface etc.

Is that stuff included in the video you mentioned?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Not really, more then likely a different video.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 PM

I have become addicted to paddle board fly fishing. especially pike. planning a trip right now for a 3 week fishing mt biking road trip up the rockies to slave lake area then into bc and point southwest catching trout until i hit the bass lakes. i have never caught a bass so am excited for big takes.. without the teeth.

i am interested in meeting up and chucking a few. im based in canmore. nothing set in stone for the road trip yet so can meet somewhere.

below is a link to the orvis learning centre, very informative for all fly fishing techniques, link is for the pike/muskie section.

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video...ie-fly-fishing
Old 08-09-2018, 05:23 AM

Pike on the fly are a favourite of mine. I tend to fish for them from mid-May until mid-June---it is runoff for trout, but prime time for pike. I still fish them for them when I have a chance, but they become harder to consistently catch as the water warms. If you are serious about pike on the fly, I would highly recommend investing into a second spool for your reel with an full intermediate line. Along with your floating line, you can comfortably fish topwater to about 3m.

About 70% of my pike fishing is with an intermediate line. I use a floating line for poppers and for tactically casting around structure, like sunken weedbeds or shoreline drop-offs, where the fly needs to ride shallower than 1m.

Pike are so fierce. They are so fun on the fly.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM

I love Pike on the fly. I also use both a floating and an intermediate full sink line for them. Up here in the Peace, you can catch Pike regularly right into the end of September on the lower sections of all the rivers. I've taken huge pike on the Peace River itself, the Smokey and the Little Smokey. I'm heading for the Little Smokey south of Valleyview tomorrow actually. Hoping some big Pike and Wally's finally start biting now that the water has cleared up after the last rain storms came through. Big bright Zonkers are my go to pattern.