Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Gun Smuggler Convicted

interesting case. Glad to see the conviction, however, the sentencing will be interesting too.

https://www.oliverchronicle.com/oliv...ing-at-border/

By Keith Lacey

An Oliver man who was convicted last week of smuggling handguns and ammunition across the Canada-U.S. border in Osoyoos will return to court on Dec. 21 for a sentencing hearing.

It took a 12-member jury less than two hours to convict Alex Louie on nine charges related to his attempt to smuggle two handguns and ammunition across the border around 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 1, 2017.

Louie, who successfully applied to the court to be referred to by his First Nation name Senk’lip, represented himself during the five-day trial that wrapped up recently at the Penticton courthouse.

The jury heard how two Canadian Border Services guards searched Senk’lip’s vehicle and found two handguns and two boxes of ammunition tied to the frame of his vehicle using wire.

Senk’lip, who unsuccessfully applied for bail and has been in custody since his arrest, was found guilty on all nine counts he faced.

Two of the weapons offences Senk’lip has now been convicted of carry a mandatory minimum of three years in a federal penitentiary.

Justice Arne Silverman, who according to numerous media reports had to repeatedly remove the jury to address Senk’lip’s lack of legal training, will be in charge of the sentencing on Dec. 21.

“At this point, I haven’t heard anything that would cause me to give you more than three years,” said Silverman in published reports after the jury reached its verdict.

Because of his First Nation heritage, it was reported that Senk’lip wanted the judge to consider sentencing principles related to the “Gladue decision,” a precedent-setting case that orders judges to give special consideration to First Nation offenders in Canada.

Silverman told the court that while Gladue factors won’t affect mandatory minimum sentences that apply to all Canadians, he would delay the sentencing hearing until Dec. 21 so Senk’lip can have proper time to prepare his submissions relating to sentencing.

Senk’lip has suggested during numerous court appearances over the past several months and during the trial that no court in Canada should have jurisdiction over him because indigenous Canadians have the right to freely cross the American border.

Senk’lip repeatedly argued that tradition and his special status as a self-described North American Indian permit him to cross the international boundary whenever, and with whatever, he likes.

“At the border, I declared who I was, and that is a fact of law. I am who I say I am, and these are my witnesses,” he said in a published report. “We are from here. We have been here since before Canada was here. We have been here before that border was here. And we’re still here.”

Senk’lip spent the majority of his time on the stand explaining his version of international law and how indigenous people have been abused by the Canadian government.

“I renounced Canadian citizenship because both my parents were residential school survivors,” he said. “I don’t want to be Canadian. I never was. It was forced.” In his charge to the jury, the veteran judge told the jurors to reject Senk’lip’s suggestions because they are not valid under Canadian law.

“We’ve all had the experience of crossing over the border and sometimes they ask a lot of questions and sometimes they don’t,” said Silverman. “But nowhere does that create a perpetual right for me to come and go without stopping for examination or search.”

The two Canadian Border Services Agency officers involved in Senk’lip’s arrest, testified they were warned he might be in possession of weapons and they searched his vehicle and found the two handguns attached to the undercarriage of his vehicle using wire.

Senk’lip also called his mother, Paque, as a defence witness. She told the court she worked in the U.S. in the 1970s and never had any problems crossing the border.

She testified how her experience with residential schools caused her to resent police and law enforcement in general and those attitudes may have inadvertently passed on to her son.

She testified that she believed that some of her son’s issues with law enforcement stem from her personal mistrust of police and law enforcement.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Well, any comment I could make on this story has a high probability of getting me suspended or banned....

How about those Oilers?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, any comment I could make on this story has a high probability of getting me suspended or banned....

How about those Oilers?
Ditto
Old 12-01-2017, 02:27 PM

There is no point in even considering more firearms laws, if the courts are not going to hold violators responsible for their criminal actions.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is no point in even considering more firearms laws, if the courts are not going to hold violators responsible for their criminal actions.
So far, the system has worked in this case the way it is supposed to. Sentencing will be the last test?
Of course, politicians and police know where many of the illegal firearms in Canada are coming in but fail to act for political reasons.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:

How about those Oilers?
The oilers seem to have a higher chance of winning than senk’lip
Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
The oilers seem to have a higher chance of winning than senk’lip
Haha
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
So far, the system has worked in this case the way it is supposed to. Sentencing will be the last test?
Of course, politicians and police know where many of the illegal firearms in Canada are coming in but fail to act for political reasons.
If they sentence according to the Gladue Decision (which effectively ignores the Charter of Rights and creates two classes of citizens)....they will probably give him the minimum, with time served, and he's out for Christmas Turkey with his Homies.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
YUP!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Default Deception does not suggest a "Right" was exercised

As claimed, he had a RIGHT to cross with anything he wanted to carry.

If so, why wire a couple hand guns to the frame of his vehicle along with the ammunition? Why not carry it out in the open?

The right relied on was an after thought as an excuse after he was caught.

Bet it wasn't the first time he did it either.

Drewski
Old 12-01-2017, 03:39 PM

I am glad that Senk’lip or Alex Louie was convicted. I am glad the jury was bright enough not to buy his defense. Now it is up to the judge to do his part.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
If they sentence according to the Gladue Decision (which effectively ignores the Charter of Rights and creates two classes of citizens)....they will probably give him the minimum, with time served, and he's out for Christmas Turkey with his Homies.....
So sad but So true
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM

I Don't care if he claims to be from Pluto. He didn't violate the laws of Pluto . He violated the laws of Canada.

If I spit on the sidewalks of Singapore I can't say, 'but I'm Canadian. It's okay.'

Colin
Old 12-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

If you ever have to go to court, identify as native

Quote:
Gladue applies to all self-identified Aboriginal People: status and not, regardless of whether they live in or outside of an Aboriginal community.
https://nwac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...-Is-Gladue.pdf
Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
As claimed, he had a RIGHT to cross with anything he wanted to carry.

If so, why wire a couple hand guns to the frame of his vehicle along with the ammunition? Why not carry it out in the open?

The right relied on was an after thought as an excuse after he was caught.

Bet it wasn't the first time he did it either.

Drewski
He has the right to cross as he wishes, he still has the obligation to abide to the laws in the jurisdiction he is in.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM

How did he tied up guns and ammo to a frame of his horse
Did I miss something?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Of coarse he did everything by the book hiding them and all.

Makes a guy wonder how many more he already has brought in and where they went.
My guess is the investigation stops there, he gets three years in jail then Trudeau apologize and give him 10 million bucks for his mistreatment in the justice system.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
If you ever have to go to court, identify as native

https://nwac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...-Is-Gladue.pdf
Ironic thing with this is that a huge amount of FN crimes are committed against other FN.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
Ironic thing with this is that a huge amount of FN crimes are committed against other FN.
That shouldn't make a difference in how sentences are awarded. Crime is crime. As stated in the article the chance for abuse of the Gladeau as it is implemented on reserves is great. The group handing out these sentences within their own community are often scared witless of the gangs and criminals they are sentencing thus are afraid of retribution to themselves and their family if they upset the offender, his family and friends. My best friend growing up was/is a native RCMP officer, stationed on many reserves throughout his career, he feels they are largely ineffective and abused, he has seen the intimidation and revenge imposed on the folks who are responsible for deciding punishment. In many cases these native 'courts' are often as not infiltrated, controlled and dictated to by the criminal element that is pervasive on many native reserves.