Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Wabaman

Been staying away from the lake in respect of the missing person.
Has anyone heard anything
Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 PM

I have a friend that is on the fire department out there. They were heading back on to the lake this morning.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Not sure why they would be still searching , I guess maybe to see if the guy is floating , might be a few days yet . Its sad , just proves a 3rd time around Life jackets and PFD'S SAVE LIVES .
Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Not sure why they would be still searching , I guess maybe to see if the guy is floating , might be a few days yet . Its sad , just proves a 3rd time around Life jackets and PFD'S SAVE LIVES .
Closure...thats why people will search until that person if found. No matter how stupid it was....that family and group of friends needs to have that closure....at this point that is all they can do.

LC
Old 06-03-2012, 01:44 PM

was there another incident at wab or are we talkin bout from last weekend.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
was there another incident at wab or are we talkin bout from last weekend.
Last weekend At least that im aware of , havent heard anything new .
Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM

The same incident.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Have they used helicopters? havent been keeping up to date.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Closure...thats why people will search until that person if found. No matter how stupid it was....that family and group of friends needs to have that closure....at this point that is all they can do.

LC
Maybe im kinda cold hearted but , they kinda did it to themselves , sure we dont know the intire story . But 99% of the time , booze and or drugs or sober without lifejacket are likely the causes .

Yes the search goes on but Closure doesnt pay for that search and rescue .

I sure as hell know If I went missing , drowed etc id hope people would look for me , but they wont be looking for me because I dont have a lifejacket , or because i was drunk or higher then a kite .
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM

I
b
t
l

Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I
b
t
l

Is this what they call 'foreshadowing'?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Maybe im kinda cold hearted but , they kinda did it to themselves , sure we dont know the intire story . But 99% of the time , booze and or drugs or sober without lifejacket are likely the causes .

Yes the search goes on but Closure doesnt pay for that search and rescue .

I sure as hell know If I went missing , drowed etc id hope people would look for me , but they wont be looking for me because I dont have a lifejacket , or because i was drunk or higher then a kite .
John I get what you are saying but....if someone drowns and they aren't wearing a life-jacket....do we just say "well they are dough-heads so forget em leave em out there...search is over."

If I recall you are friends with someone who knew the guys who were in Coal Lake without life jackets....you supported them finding their loved ones....just sayin .....and I spent about 6 hours wading the shallows out there looking around myself without knowing anyone out there.....I just waded out there after I talked to one of the Family members.

A significant amount of time,effort, resources and S&R money went into the search @ Coal Lake....they are no more or less deserving than the man missing @ Wabamun and his Family and friends...

People make dumb mistakes and perish but the fact of the matter is they should be found to give the familes closure....IMHO

LC
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
John I get what you are saying but....if someone drowns and they aren't wearing a life-jacket....do we just say "well they are dough-heads so forget em leave em out there...search is over."

If I recall you are friends with someone who knew the guys who were in Coal Lake without life jackets....you supported them finding their loved ones....just sayin .....and I spent about 6 hours wading the shallows out there looking around myself without knowing anyone out there.....I just waded out there after I talked to one of the Family members.

A significant amount of time,effort, resources and S&R money went into the search @ Coal Lake....they are no more or less deserving than the man missing @ Wabamun and his Family and friends...

People make dumb mistakes and perish but the fact of the matter is they should be found to give the familes closure....IMHO

LC
Im not disreguarding a search . I am saying very unlikely they are going to find anything 6 or whatever days in . They will simply have to wait for the guys body to float . That takes time .

It is a very sad and bad thing that happened .

I know lots of time and money but I think after 4 days they called off the search , then they searched the 7th and 10 th day finding them the 10th day as what I heard from insider info . Maybe they were wrong .

But we can all agree this situation could of been easily avoided .

2 words

LIFE JACKET
Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Totally agree....all it would take is a couple life jackets and people wearing them and these would be "happy ending" stories...

LC
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Sad thing is the body may never be found.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Totally agree....all it would take is a couple life jackets and people wearing them and these would be "happy ending" stories...

LC
If that person had been wearing a life jacket it wouldn't even be a story...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
If that person had been wearing a life jacket it wouldn't even be a story...
X2
Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 AM

Anyone ever observe a takeoff for a tournament ? Lifejackets aren't even enforced in those situations. I will admit I only wear mine when we're moving , but the kids keep them on at all times.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Well I absolutely agree that a life jacket would have possibly made this preventable but this is life. These things happen! How many things do we do in our lives that are preventable and end up costing the system money. Smokers and obesity come to mind. I guarantee the cost to our healthcare is far greater in the long run for us to treat all the cancers and disabilities associated with those two preventable things!!!

This was an unfortunate accident that claimed a life! Thats what it was, why bother preaching the better!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Anyone ever observe a takeoff for a tournament ? Lifejackets aren't even enforced in those situations.
what tournament do you fish??
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 PM

He finally turned up.

http://beaconnews.ca/blog/2012/06/la...s-up-on-shore/

Condolences to the family.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Good to see they found him and the families can have closure now.

Condolences to the family
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Anyone ever observe a takeoff for a tournament ? Lifejackets aren't even enforced in those situations. I will admit I only wear mine when we're moving , but the kids keep them on at all times.
I was just at Moose last weekend, everyone I saw was wearing one on the take off and we wore them when ever we were under power of the main engine.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM

I've lifeguarded and taught swimming for over 10 years, and still wouldn't even think of going in a boat without a lifejacket. Sad event
Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 PM

I read that they found his body as that will be a relief to the guys friends and family .
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM

I just picked up a Mustang MIT Self Inflating PFD tonight (Willowtrail and a F&W Officer I met told me about them) at the fishing hole. At least it is a lifejacket I will wear all the time when in a boat. Can't put a price on a life or safety.

Glad to hear the folks who knew the guy in Wab will be able to move forward now....

LC
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I just picked up a Mustang MIT Self Inflating PFD tonight (Willowtrail and a F&W Officer I met told me about them) at the fishing hole. At least it is a lifejacket I will wear all the time when in a boat. Can't put a price on a life or safety.

Glad to hear the folks who knew the guy in Wab will be able to move forward now....

LC
How much that cost you Lefty?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
How much that cost you Lefty?
I think they are $159.00ish right now and there is a $30...mail in rebate. When I got home last night I realized I grabbed the wrong brand by mistake for the rebate....OOOPS.

I will have to make a return and pick up the Mustang. They are a low profile life jacket that will inflate automatically when you hit the drink. They are "rechargeable" but that costs a few buck too. There is a manual inflation one where when you pull a tab on the jacket (the auo-tinflate has the tab too) it inflates.....for about $20 less.

A life jacket is only good if you are going to wear it....too many folks have proven this to us this spring.

LC
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I think they are $159.00ish right now and there is a $30...mail in rebate. When I got home last night I realized I grabbed the wrong brand by mistake for the rebate....OOOPS.

I will have to make a return and pick up the Mustang. They are a low profile life jacket that will inflate automatically when you hit the drink. They are "rechargeable" but that costs a few buck too. There is a manual inflation one where when you pull a tab on the jacket (the auo-tinflate has the tab too) it inflates.....for about $20 less.

A life jacket is only good if you are going to wear it....too many folks have proven this to us this spring.

LC
Agreed! I don't usualy whare mine but thinking differantly now after this spring.
Looking for something that you can fish in easy and not too hot on the those sunny days.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM

Default lost boater recoverd.

Postmedia News Friday, June 08, 2012 12:43 AM

RCMP are stressing the importance of wearing a life jacket on the water as they continue to search for a missing boater at Wabamun Lake.
, Global News
RELATED Search for missing boater at Wabamun Lake now a recovery mission
Search underway at Wabamun Lake
UPDATED: bodies of missing boaters recovered from Coal Lake
The two-week search for the body of a 29-year-old Edmonton man missing in Wabamun Lake has come to an end.

RCMP retrieved the body after getting a call Wednesday afternoon. The body had washed up on the south shore of the lake, across from the local sailing club.

The death is not considered suspicious.

The man was not wearing a life-jacket when he flipped off a tube being pulled by a boat on May 26. Two friends also riding the tube were pulled from the lake, suffering from hypothermia.

Police have not released the dead man’s name.

Read it on Global News: Global Calgary | Body of missing boater found at Wabamun Lake