Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Ice fishing and drinking

Well we have all done it. Maybe it was alittle in the coffie,or a few beer or just brought a bottle . So is it legal ? Have no idea . I am not in a boat . Not in ther car .Not in the open but in a ice hut.
What is your veiw on this ?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM

It does state in te fishing regulations that you cant drink. but i dont see the harm in having a couple drinks, like you said your in your shack so as long as you keep it on the down low it should e alright...i pack a 6ounce flask of whiskey and sometimes bailys in my coffee thermous.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

i don't see nothing wrong with it as longs as people clean up after them selves last year i made about 20$ on picking peoples beer can up off the ice! i wish you could get paid for clearning peoples garbage off the ice then i would only need a part-time job and could fish more!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Same rules as summer

Rules are the same as summer . Have discussed this with the CO's as we have seen them checking coolers and giving tickets or some just have people dump out their booze. Ice is technically still considered water so no alcohol rule still applies. Now, the exception is if your shack is a living quarters. Then you can but as one of them told me make sure you have your sleeping bag etc. with you as just sitting in a chair like in my shack probably won't cut it. The rules are much like in your trailer vs in a picnic area in the summer. As long as you are living in it it is fine but as soon as your are not and in a picnic instead of camping you leave yourself open.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Best to keep it out of site as well. And have a des. driver.

Most everyone on here condems a "poacher" and will report.

In my books you have the potential to do way more harm drinking and driving than some one keeping a short walleye or not pinching a barb.

I also dont condone breaking those either, though.

And if you are a person who will have a "few drinks" and report that poacher, well ....?

If I want a drink it can wait till I get home.

JMO
Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM

your technically on public property so drinking in public would count... and I agree... you better be walkin home.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
you better be walkin home.
Ah yes... we've all seen those responsible fellows walking home in the dark, dragging their gear, catch, and auger behind them... LOL

Personally, I've never felt that I just HAD to risk fines or worse to have some alcohol while I was hiking, hunting, or fishing. I always managed to hold off the trembling until I got home, to the hotel, a bar, etc.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Well we have all done it.
And for the record We ALL have NOT done it...

No one has ever persuaded me that it would be fun to stand over a hole on a frozen lake LOL

Not yet anyway....
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Ah yes... we've all seen those responsible fellows walking home in the dark, dragging theri gear, catch, and auger behind them... LOL

Personally, I've never felt that I just HAD to risk fines or worse to have some alcohol while I was hiking, hunting, or fishing. I always managed to hold off the trembling until I got home, to the hotel, a bar, etc.
Ditto.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Most C.O's care more about if there is a designated driver then giving away a bunch of tickets. I got stopped on the ice atleast 15 times last year and every single time i was enjoying a beer. They have every right to give u a ticket but as long as your on your best behavior, most C.O's will check your gear and make sure u are doing everything according to the book...I know my favorite C.O is reading this right now and having a laugh...see u again this year :}...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 AM

I dont see why this is such a heavily talked about subject. I agree that there is a difference between enjoying a couple of beers and booze abuse, and i agreed that being responsible by having a DD and cleaning up empties and garbage is everyones responsibility if they choose to participate in outdoor activities (Clean up After your SELF). but in regards to having a few drinks out in the woods I am not going to get in your face or judge any one cause I do it in a responsible manner. Look at Europe and South/Central America it is perfectly leagal to walk down the street or sit on the beach and have a beer (you cant sit here and tell me that when you go to mexico you only drink corona in a licensed bar you can buy it from 7-11). Why sould Canada be any different especially when you are out in the woods with a couple of fishing buddies.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasspro View Post
I dont see why this is such a heavily talked about subject. I agree that there is a difference between enjoying a couple of beers and booze abuse, and i agreed that being responsible by having a DD and cleaning up empties and garbage is everyones responsibility if they choose to participate in outdoor activities (Clean up After your SELF). but in regards to having a few drinks out in the woods I am not going to get in your face or judge any one cause I do it in a responsible manner. Look at Europe and South/Central America it is perfectly leagal to walk down the street or sit on the beach and have a beer (you cant sit here and tell me that when you go to mexico you only drink corona in a licensed bar you can buy it from 7-11). Why sould Canada be any different especially when you are out in the woods with a couple of fishing buddies.
because when you go missing my tax dollars have to pay for a search party.

Its simple.. some individuals can not control themselves therefore they ruin it for the responsible ones.

Go for it and drink... but if you get a ticket or get lost or get kill someone on the highway because your reaction time is just slightly slower then you will have to live with those consequences
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM

The topic is having a cold one on the lake while fishing, not wether or not you are drinking and driving. So lets make the assumption that you have a D.D. and go from there. As stated unless you are in a pemanent shack, and camping in it, it is illegal and you could get a fine for open liquer.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM

ok so in regards to camping and having an open beer. what would the ruling be if you are camped along the river or lake and you take a walk to hunt down some fish, is it astill ilegal to have a beer or two.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Yes it is illegal because it is occuring on a public lake even if you are doing it in your own tent, yes most people have done it including myself. It comes down to personal choices; if you want to have a couple drinks then get ticketed or risk having an accident due to intoxication you have no one but yourself to blame. If like me you just have a couple ounces of rum or Bailey's in your thermos & you make it last all afternoon thereby causing no intoxication or concern from the fish cops then I don't see an issue with it. It really comes down to what you want to try & get away with I suppose.

If someone is fishing close by & is on their 8th beer or tail end of a mickey of whiskey then obviously driving home after, then that is an entirely different issue which may warrant a call to the RCMP or fish cops since that person has now chosen to not only affect themselves but endanger others as well.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM

What I swa last year is that some guys drinking in tent at Sylven Lake were fined. Be cautious!