Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Default Vortex Viper PST

anybody ever tested the tracking on these scopes? whats the clarity of the glass like?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 PM

The glass is not great. I had the mil/mil version and the tracking matched the reticle. The so called zero stop sucks and the lack of a lock on turrets means your are constantly having the check your turrets when in the field. I would not buy another one.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
The glass is not great. I had the mil/mil version and the tracking matched the reticle. The so called zero stop sucks and the lack of a lock on turrets means your are constantly having the check your turrets when in the field. I would not buy another one.
thanks for the advice. something seems just to good to be true about it
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM

never had problem with tracking, but it died less than a year old with lots of residues flying Inside and a loose eye piece

received a ney one in 4 weeks ans sold it
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

Default Pst

I don't know how old of a past scope you had was but I have a new one with the extra low dispersion glass and the resolution is very good... The tracking was also top notch.. We filled 4 anlerless mulie tags in one day with this scope on my 6.5x284 bench rifle.. Minimum distance was 450 longest was 585 all head shots... I'd say that they work
Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Truly fantastic.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cw...autoplay%253D1

LC
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Lol. The problem is simply that the PST does not have a zero stop first of all. Secondly I don't know anyone romping through the bush with your turrets dialed in. Normally I stay out of vortex controversy, but in this case I can't help it. It really just sounds like you have a pre-existing chip on your shoulder towards the company
Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Default Add more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnbrg View Post
Lol. The problem is simply that the PST does not have a zero stop first of all. Secondly I don't know anyone romping through the bush with your turrets dialed in. Normally I stay out of vortex controversy, but in this case I can't help it. It really just sounds like you have a pre-existing chip on your shoulder towards the company
On the scope I had, it came with shims that one placed under the elevation dial to create a " zero stop". I don't romp thru the woods but I do carry my guns across the prairie in a Eberlestock backpack when I go calling coyotes. And when one removes the gun from the backpack in a hurry there is the distinct possibility of the knobs getting bumped/turned in the process. I did not call the product a pos, infact I said it tracked well. But it lacks some key features that I look for in a HUNTING scope. Btw I have a pair of Vortex binoculars that I really like.
Edit; your are correct it does not have zero-stop, it has CRS which is what I was referring to. But it sucked because it didn't really stop the turret at zero.

Last edited by wally338; 12-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnbrg View Post
If you call me out at least reply
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Default viper

I used my viper to take an antelope at 400+ yards, 1 deer 50, 1 at 200 and the last 1 at 300+ yards. I really like the clarity on this unit and when I purchased it I found for the $$ it was probalbly best in its class. As for the "zero stop" if you shim it properly it does what is designed to do. It is not supposed to stop on the zero but just go a little beyond that which I found was very usefull at close distances.

I would and will buy another one when the time comes.

LS
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 PM

One more thing........

I was constantly farting around with all the turrets for aprx 2 months while hunting and when returned to all zreos it was spot on where it was supposed to be.

LS
Old 12-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
One more thing........

I was constantly farting around with all the turrets for aprx 2 months while hunting and when returned to all zreos it was spot on where it was supposed to be.

LS
I dumped the vortex and razor lineup in favor of S&B optics , much better this is what scopes where supposed to be!! Perfection lol

Last edited by wally338; 12-26-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 PM

S+B? Never heard of them. I will have to look them up but I'm definatly a Vortex fan. Hey I'm open to anything as long as its quality.....

LS
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 PM

S&B= schimdt& bender better get educated son
Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
S&B= schimdt& bender better get educated son

Thanks dad.........
Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 PM

I know there is a lot of zero's but just count them one at a time lol
Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Fill your boots.....

After seeing thier pricing I will definatly stick to Vortex. I don't mind paying 7-800 maybe a $1000 but $3500 is not for me.

LS
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM

it sounds like a lot of the shots made with the pst's arent what i was expecting them to be performing at. my application will beyond 1000 yards, still uncertain of them. i guess ill have to just bite the bullet and spend a good amount of money for a nightforce, schmidt and bender, or us optics which are already guaranteed performers.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM

If you are consistently shooting past 1000yds at smallish targets you may want to go with a higher quality scope. However I have had no problem shooting out to 1400 with my PST's on targets about 24"x24". My newer PST has noticeably better glass then my older one.

I have done a fair amount of shooting at some extremely long ranges. No matter the quality. Razors, Nightforce or even the mighty S&B I invariably power them down anyways as the mirage and distortion can be too much of a problem. However if it is still a cool morning/evening that is where the higher quality glass shines.

Ask yourself when you are most likely going to be shooting, distances, target size and then decide if the extra money is worth it or if maybe spending the savings on ammo is better spent.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Viper PST

I have the 4-16x50 Viper PST (FFP/MRAD). They do offer quite a bit of scope for the money, have not used mine much yet overall I am happy with it. The turrets are positive, fit and finish is very good, everything works as expected. Glass is by no means poor, it is definitely usable and about the same as my 2.5-16x50 Bushnell 6500. I have not compared them side by side and come to a definite conclusion but their close.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
it sounds like a lot of the shots made with the pst's arent what i was expecting them to be performing at. my application will beyond 1000 yards, still uncertain of them. i guess ill have to just bite the bullet and spend a good amount of money for a nightforce, schmidt and bender, or us optics which are already guaranteed performers.

If your application is beyond 1000 yards you better start saving your pennies because the $2000-3000 difference in scope prices is the cheapest part of the the long distance equation
Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
My newer PST has noticeably better glass then my older one.

do you mean that vortex has changed something in the pst production line?

the one I had was the first batch after they fixed the soft turrets problem

do the newer ones have better glass or are more reliables?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero338 View Post
do you mean that vortex has changed something in the pst production line?

the one I had was the first batch after they fixed the soft turrets problem

do the newer ones have better glass or are more reliables?
I can't say if Vortex changed the production line, or if this just happens to be a scope that had better glass.

I've seen it in other lines as well. My newest Nightforce NSX is better then my older one as well.

Newer production line? better Q and C? Better source of glass? I do know that some optics companies moved locations after the tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan. Maybe they improved the facilities?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM

I just purchased a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 FFP. Shipped everywhere and compared dozens of scopes. Shot friends rifles and tried their scopes. It came down to leupold and vortex. Leupold is great. Their glass is very clear and tracks perfectly. But you pay a bit more for the name, which is fine when you've built up a name like hey did. I ended up with the vortex because with the new scope I have I can't tell the difference between glass quality. That impressed me. The price was right and of course vortex has a few extra features that weren't available in that price range on a leupold. Illuminated receptical. First focal plane. Great stuff for hunting and long range shooting. I'm super happy with my choice. It's money well spent in my books. I'd encourage others to try them at least. And the money I saved goes to some high quality precision matched scope rings and a HD base. I haven't played arond with the scope a lot on the range yet, but what I have done has verified a well made scope.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 PM

been doing some shopping and im set on a SWFA 5-20x50. 1300$. numerous reviews on it and for glass quality and clarity its compared to the same as nightforces and some even say better. tracking is excellent no problems there. commonly used way out passed 1000 yards by guys that know what they're talking about. SWFA manafactuers them and also markets them themselves. thats the reason for the top notch scope without the premium price. and as far illuminated reticle, i think its just a marketing scheme. you cant shoot in the dark anyway. and you can easily see your reticle half hour passed sunset and even a little longer.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM

now im not sure about this but ive read illumination they can cause distortion around the crosshairs
Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM

If you where closer I would lend you my S&B for a week
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM

If you crank the illumination up it will haze/halo around it. If you have one that is easily adjustable just turn it down. I have used illumination enough now that it is a must on my match rifles.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM

I chose the Viper HS Model with covered turets to avoid any issues with bumping exposed turets.
Twist the cap off and it still has a very accurate elevation turret that is adjustable in MOA.
Tracking has been bang on out to 900 yards for the last two years.

http://www.vortexcanada.net/products...16x44_bdc.html
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If you where closer I would lend you my S&B for a week
and then you would become my bestest friend.

Tags
scope, viper pst, vortex