Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Sons first deer, second deer and third deer in one day.

I kept my 13 year old son home from school and went out hunting Monday and Tuesday. Monday we went to a place I had seen recent signs and set up a blind. A few hours of nothing we rethought it and checked our own land and found nothing but sign. I finally bit the bullet and phoned to ask permission on a piece of land that I knew people had had success with recently.(thanks Roy) So we set up the blind at on a field Edge against Crown Land and waited, 10 minutes before Sunset a pair of does walked out and my son line them up with the scope and proceeded to get some serious Buck Fever and didn't want to pull the trigger. We regrouped and went out the next morning before first light and got set up. 10 minutes in and out walked a doe who obligingly stood broadside at 75 yards and he lined her up with my .270 and took an ok shot and off she ran. He did a great job finding the fur from the impact but couldn't find blood for 50 yards. He did a great job finding the first Blood and tracking to the downed deer. She was down and sleepy so we backed out 50 yards to wait for her to expire, and another doe walked in and he took her at 20 yards with a heart shot. We got the guts out of them and loaded in the truck and went into town for lunch. We went back out with two hours of light remaining and steaming gut piles in close proximity, got set back up in the Blind and waited. 15 minutes before last light a little spike Buck walked out, he was supposed to be mine but I thought my son would appreciate it more so I handed him the rifle and let him blouch. Nice lung shot with no meat damage He only ran about 50 yards in plain view bucking the whole time. An experience neither of us are likely to forget. limiting out with 3 trout is a good day fishing, but limiting out with 3 deer? 12 hours of processing later they are safely in my freezer. I swear if I have to butcher another deer...
Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Right on man! Can’t wait till my boy is old enough to hopefully do the same! Congrats to you guys!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Nice. Congrats
Old 11-24-2017, 03:33 PM

Great story thanks for sharing
Old 11-24-2017, 05:09 PM

It's been an amazing transformation from boy to man these last few years. From a complaining slow poke who couldn't move through the bush to the hunting partner I have now. Who trudges 20km in a day with loaded packs eating mountain house and granola bars and crapping in the woods. He is very proud to help provide ethical and organic meat that we prefer to beef or pork. I am proud of his composure and ethics.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
It's been an amazing transformation from boy to man these last few years. From a complaining slow poke who couldn't move through the bush to the hunting partner I have now. Who trudges 20km in a day with loaded packs eating mountain house and granola bars and crapping in the woods. He is very proud to help provide ethical and organic meat that we prefer to beef or pork. I am proud of his composure and ethics.
Yup, he once trudged behind you, now he is equal and soon you will be trudging behind him...passage of time eh!

He will look back and say" you alright ol' man" you'll just smile...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Ha Ha isn’t that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup, he once trudged behind you, now he is equal and soon you will be trudging behind him...passage of time eh!

He will look back and say" you alright ol' man" you'll just smile...
Just getting to that point now couple more years my son will be waiting for me going let’s go old man.
And congrats to Jays Toys sons success.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Good on both of you.
Big congrats.

But, where are the pictures?

There are no absolutes