Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Default 7.62x39 sks

Hi, I am looking for some feedback on a 7.62x39 sks rifle. What do you think?
Are they any good? looking for some pros and cons

Thank you
Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
2430M

I like mine. I am not a hunter with one, I more "play" with mine. I do know people that do hunt deer with them with fair success. They are a cheap rifle to buy, lots of accessories to spruce them up anyway you want really. Ammo is cheap and you can get it even cheaper when buying bulk. They strip down in seconds and I find them really easy to clean.

The bad part is they aren't the most accurate gun around.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Default My feedback.......

They work great on porcupines.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Back in my army days, I always figured that we were just really lucky that none of the the boys were ever hit when some of the local beligerents poked a few rounds at us. Turns out the average SKS groups about as well as a 12 guage with 6 shot at 150 yards.

Makes a nice paperweight. Maybe a short range plinker.

Definitely not a hunting rifle. I know of a few individuals that decided to carry one for deer and were nabbed by F&W due to the integral bayonet and attempting to use surplus ball ammo instead of an appropriate bullet.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM

I can usually squeeze a 2-3" group with my cz 858 (7.62x39) at 75yrds. extreamly accurate it an't but fun and cheap to shoot oh ya
check out the pic, I even take it geopher hunting what a blast!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun pics 071ps.jpg (63.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg March pics 020ps.jpg (38.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Default sks

got mine a few years ago from marstar.ca, quite a few variations, mines a yugoslav, the chinese with the removable clip would be better. Very fun gun but its a 40 year old battle rifle designed for close combat, not very accurate but a very cool looking gun for the price around $350, everyone should have one.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:55 PM

I love mine as a plinker and gopher gun. For just throwing some lead at a target you can't beat the price of ammo. I have used mine for deer hunting as well and at close range it works great. Its easy to get soft point ammo for it that would make hunting with it perfectly legal. I don't know about the bayonet thing but its not a restricted weapon so there should be no problem using it. If you hunt tight bush with close shots it works very good.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Banned

As wrenchmonkey just said. Rule #1 - know limits, both for cartridge and rifle. Rule #2 use it accordingly.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
I love mine as a plinker and gopher gun. For just throwing some lead at a target you can't beat the price of ammo. I have used mine for deer hunting as well and at close range it works great. Its easy to get soft point ammo for it that would make hunting with it perfectly legal. I don't know about the bayonet thing but its not a restricted weapon so there should be no problem using it. If you hunt tight bush with close shots it works very good.
Seems to with a case length of about 1.5 ", it's not a legal big game cartridge in Alberta.
Grizz
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Well my wife said no anyways
I have bought 2 rifles this year and she said that was it, no matter how nice it is.

It was for sale on used calgary but looks sold now
EDIT: marked as removed
http://www.usedcalgary.com/classified-ad/6952300

Last edited by FishBrain; 09-11-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Seems to with a case length of about 1.5 ", it's not a legal big game cartridge in Alberta.
Grizz
I *thought* they went by caliber and not casing size?

BIG GAME PROHIBITIONS

It is unlawful to

1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
* ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
* ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
* an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
* a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
* a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
* bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),
* an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a bow other than an authorized bow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
* a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
* a trap,
* a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-bow)

I thought most got in trouble for using the SKS with the non expanding bullets but I could be, and have been, wrong .
Old 09-11-2008, 03:32 PM

An SKS is perfectly legal to use for hunting, you just can't use surplus, FMJ ammo.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
I *thought* they went by caliber and not casing size?

BIG GAME PROHIBITIONS

It is unlawful to

1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
* ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
* ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
* an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
* a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
* a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
* bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),
* an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a bow other than an authorized bow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
* a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
* a trap,
* a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-bow)

I thought most got in trouble for using the SKS with the non expanding bullets but I could be, and have been, wrong .
I'll admit I'm a little confused here. After I posted that, I went and looked at the reg books for 2007 and 2008, which stated the above. The regulation, as I remember it, said the calibre had to be .23, with a case lenght of 1.75 " Changing that wouldn't make any sense, to me at least, since there are a multitude of calibers out there, that fit the definition, but wouldn't be suitale for hunting Big Game. If I use this definition, there's nothing to stop me hunting moose with a rifle chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge.
Grizz
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Case length had to be dropped due to the introduction of short magnum cartridges.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
short magnum cartridges
Misinformation again. Its actually the super short magnum cartridges.

Not WSM but the WSSM. Short magnum cartridges are just as long as a regular .243 win or .308 win. Its the Super Short's that changed things.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post

Not WSM but the WSSM. Short magnum cartridges are just as long as a regular .243 win or .308 win. Its the Super Short's that changed things.
I would have thought if this was the reasoning, they would have stipulated a minimum energy level, along the european model, to exclude all those pip squeak cartriges that have no business being used on Big Game. As I pointed out, there is nothing in the reg., as written, to stop me hunting with a cartridge that has less energy than the .22 LR, as long as it is .23 or larger.

I own an SKS and other than the cartrige, which I would consider marginal, there are too many other issues with that piece of sh to make me consider it as a hunting rifle.
Grizz
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 09-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Since the case length regs were adjusted i have tromped throught the bush with a lever action .44 mag many a times. Lots of fun.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post

Good lord, keep your panties on.
I'm sure he got the point as to why the case length regulations were changed.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Default ammo

watch the amo you get! some of the bulk stuff is corrosive and will pit the inside of the barrel and chamber
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgu5 View Post
watch the amo you get! some of the bulk stuff is corrosive and will pit the inside of the barrel and chamber
Not only that but it will rust up the firing pin and cycling piston for the semi-auto mechanics of the gun. A firing pin that stays out, is like slam fireing, been there done that, was scary as hell for a few seconds!!!
I think some of the sks's are chromed lined barrels so that will help a bit.
Windex cleans out the salt in the primer powder left in the action really well, but the ammonia will strip some varnishes and stock finishes like paint stripper.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 AM

7.62 x 39 cartridges have balistics similar to the 30-30.

Both cartridges tend to loose lots of energy after 100 yards. As a result they tend to be less than accurate at longer ranges.

Both cartridges are suitable for small game at close range. The 30-30 certainly has killed it's fair share of deer. I suspect the soviet round is just as capable.

If the sks was the only hunting caliber in the gun cabinet I'd hunt with it. If I had other choices I'd probably use something else.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I just got an sks , great little gun for the $
However i have enough trouble killing deer with my 30-06 lol
no point in hunting with the smaller sks
it is nice though that i can get my kids shooting something larger than a 22 without breaking the bank
Plus its a cool looking gun
Safe shooting all
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM

"Holy old post Batman" You sure dug deep for your first post
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Default the sks

I know that alot of guys complain about accuracy but I can hit the 200 yard gong 7 out of 10 shots with my open sights. IMO its all in your proficincy with open sights. My cooey .22 I can hit a dime at 75 yards every time been shooting it for more then 15 years though hahaha. If you are good with the open sights and can aim it the same and stay steady, you will have no issues. I love mine nice and cheap at the range and when it gets closer to hunting season Im switching to the soft points and Im gunning for deer in the woods with it.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I know that alot of guys complain about accuracy but I can hit the 200 yard gong 7 out of 10 shots with my open sights. IMO its all in your proficincy with open sights. My cooey .22 I can hit a dime at 75 yards every time been shooting it for more then 15 years though hahaha. If you are good with the open sights and can aim it the same and stay steady, you will have no issues. I love mine nice and cheap at the range and when it gets closer to hunting season Im switching to the soft points and Im gunning for deer in the woods with it.
A sub MOA cooey
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
"Holy old post Batman" You sure dug deep for your first post
Welcome to the world of google ;-)
I never looked at the date , i was looking for cheaper ammo
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Default must be a scope user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
A sub MOA cooey
I know that you must think im lying, but anyone that has a steady hand and knows how there rifle shoots can shoot real real good with open sights. Shoot when i was younger living on the acerage I had nothing better to do but to shoot hundreds upon hundreds or rounds a week with my model 600. I used to hunt the beastly grasshopper, man eating flies, and fire breathing ants. jokes aside if you shoot an open sighted rifle enough and learn how it shoots a guy would be surprised with what he can do with it. like I said before 7 out of 10 shots at the 200 yard gong with my sks hit. My shootin eye also has damage, a chemical burn from years ago that left it fuzzy, not furry but the vision in it is fuzzy so before you go and disregard what a fellow hunter says, pick up iron sights and learn it and see what you can do
Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If I use this definition, there's nothing to stop me hunting moose with a rifle chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge.
Grizz
Isnt the .25ACP a prohibited caliber in Canada, just like the .32ACP?