Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Default CWD and Euro mounts

I see that you can fulfill cwd requirements and still have skull fully intact (except lower jaw) for a euro mount. I'm wondering about the required piece of the brain and how to extract it. Anyone with this experience care to comment?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
I see that you can fulfill cwd requirements and still have skull fully intact (except lower jaw) for a euro mount. I'm wondering about the required piece of the brain and how to extract it. Anyone with this experience care to comment?
The last one I submitted they basically wanted as much of the brain stem as you could reasonably get out of the opening in the back of the skull plus all the tissues from the roof of the mouth and the tongue. The portion of the brain has to be put in a separate bag from the rest of the parts.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Stem

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
The last one I submitted they basically wanted as much of the brain stem as you could reasonably get out of the opening in the back of the skull plus all the tissues from the roof of the mouth and the tongue. The portion of the brain has to be put in a separate bag from the rest of the parts.
Ok and how did you extract from the hole? It said online that the piece is approx 5cm inside?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM

I used a small knife and just kinda cut around the hole as much as I could. Its a small hole so it needs a small knife, I had to go find my little Swiss army one.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:22 PM

I submitted my archery harvest and tried to get everything they asked for, for the brain stem I tried to cut inside but ended up just popping a hole saw in the underside and pushing out all the brain matter I could get, out. Even with that my results came back today and says:

The Chronic Wasting Disease test results for the head submitted on or about 2017-11-01, CWD Label [******] is: Negative (Non-Target Tissue).

Not entirely sure if that means the results are negative or I goofed and didn’t give them what they need.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Default Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
I submitted my archery harvest and tried to get everything they asked for, for the brain stem I tried to cut inside but ended up just popping a hole saw in the underside and pushing out all the brain matter I could get, out. Even with that my results came back today and says:

The Chronic Wasting Disease test results for the head submitted on or about 2017-11-01, CWD Label [******] is: Negative (Non-Target Tissue).

Not entirely sure if that means the results are negative or I goofed and didn’t give them what they need.
I would follow up on that for sure. If you do, let us know.