Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Question Hanmore Lake and Island Lake? Bass?

I read a discussion that was posted a while ago and it said that Hanmore lake is dead or netted or what not. I've never been there, but I was reading the "Barry Mitchel's Alberta Fishing Guide" and it said that it had 30lb pike in there... is this a mistake?
Also is the camp ground nice? I'm planning to go there this summer and was wondering how nice it is and how busy it gets, is there a lot of pressure?

Also I was wondering if Island lake was the lake across from Hanmore
(inserted), It is never nammed in ANY maps and I'm just confirming the location.
One more thing haha,
anyone try for bass out there? I've read so many posts about bass in that lake and I'm wondering if anyone has caught any this year.
Attached Images
File Type: png IslandHanmore.png (401.2 KB, 266 views)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM

YUP, thats Island Lake.

The couple that runs all 3 campgrounds are really nice.
I've stayed at both Hanmore campgrounds, and although I prefer the East one, both are beautiful.

I've fished there the last 2 years, with lots of success, however all pike caught were no more than 20" and relatively skinny...

good fun, at a beautifully clear lake.
note: (lots of boats/watersports going on so beware)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Good to know, thanks for that!
In addition, does anyone know if there are a lot of water sports at island, or is it pretty fisherman-friendly?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM

The last bass that I ever saw come out of Island Lake was in 1998. My friend pulled in a 5lb'er while we were fishing for pike. We used to do very well icefishing for pike in the late 90's on Island, but I haven't been there in years.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM

There have been bass caught in Island as recently as 2002 (I think). There is a thread with some pictures floating around the board. I haven't been there in a while, but I've heard the lake is drying up pretty badly.

In regards to camping at Hanmore, are ATVs allowed in the campsite? Is it relatively quiet or is it full of yahoos? Powersites? Cost? I have been there quite a bit, but never camped there.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:54 PM

At hanmore lake the pike are really small. Fish and Wildlife officer said the whitefish are pretty much done. The perch go really deep and they are all tiny.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM

x2
Old 06-04-2010, 02:40 AM

Think you would be happier going to say long lake or some other near by. My 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmasterjr View Post
At hanmore lake the pike are really small. Fish and Wildlife officer said the whitefish are pretty much done. The perch go really deep and they are all tiny.
Too bad for the whites. Used to get realy nice ones there and decent pike also.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM

island lake is pretty dried up. havent been there in a few years but i think it'd be almost impossible to even launch an aluminum from the campground side. all i've seen there were small skinny jacks through the ice.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Good to know, thanks for that!
In addition, does anyone know if there are a lot of water sports at island, or is it pretty fisherman-friendly?
I live out by smoky lake and Hanmore is awesome but yes very busy and lots of watersports and boat traffic,island lake is sad to say almost dried up,there is a couple deep hole but hard to get to unless you have a canoe to drag in the mud.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Uh, I live near the lake. There is alot of whitefish there. There is huge jacks if you can find them. Also there is alot of perch there well over 3/4 of a pound. You just got to know the spots is all. This is a reply to buckmaster

Last edited by digglerm; 09-01-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: did not enter who i was replying to
Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digglerm View Post
Uh, I live near the lake. There is alot of whitefish there. There is huge jacks if you can find them. Also there is alot of perch there well over 3/4 of a pound. You just got to know the spots is all. This is a reply to buckmaster
LOL, really ???
Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 PM

lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 PM

He means Suckermaster... Or aka The Sausage King. PWN3D!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digglerm View Post
Them aren't Pike man them are they are musky , your mistaking them .
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Those two lakes are DONE !!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Hanmore used to be a nice lake to icefish. It also had a nice campground. Haven't been for years.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM

I put my boat in at Island Lake (near Hanmore) in July.

There is no boat launch for a trailered boat whatsoever. Where the launch used to be, is now a mish-mash of broken pallets and mud. I was able to improvise and get my boat off the trailer with a lot of effort.... it was a huge pain in the arse

Once I got in the water i fished texas-rigged Berkely minnows all day long (in hopes of finding a bass). I didnt find any bass but we caught a few dozen pike. All were under 4lbs, but they bit non-stop and it was a lot of fun.

Its a really interesting lake. There is a ton of structure out there and it makes for some fun exploring to find fish. I will be going back there when I feel like going through the epic strugge again to launch the boat.....

On a side note, there are a ton of crayfish in the lake. If you flip over a rnadom rock, one will scurry away. There are also a lot of freshwater mussels/clams in the lake so I can see how a bass population might sustain itself for a while in there.... just an observation
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM

I have wanted to try Island Lake for a while, might be worthwhile to try in the winter when all the mud is frozen If the lake is deep enough you would think the bass might have survived...if the pike haven ate them all.