Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Your first brown geyser, welcome to RVing
Not my first unfortunately.

When I bought this trailer the dealer left the grey and black valves open. When I took the cap off to connect the hose for the first time, I got blasted. The lady doing a dump at the station next to me dry heaved amazingly loud.

I had moves like a jungle cat and only got my feet wet. Thank goodness for rubber sandals and a hose nearby! 😂
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Black tank adventures would make a good thread I've had few over the years

I bought a Macerator pump for camping we pump into a blue 55 ltr. when hunting if it freezes solid we deal with it in the spring, BTW we keep drinking water in a white drum ..no confusion

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FloJet-RV-C...-/232538018092
Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Not my first unfortunately.

When I bought this trailer the dealer left the grey and black valves open. When I took the cap off to connect the hose for the first time, I got blasted. The lady doing a dump at the station next to me dry heaved amazingly loud.

I had moves like a jungle cat and only got my feet wet. Thank goodness for rubber sandals and a hose nearby! 😂
Lol
Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Oh man this this thread has been a hoot to follow! Glad everything worked out for you AlbertaDiver!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Nice to hear you got a handle on it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM

i was going to suggest a hair dryer on the valve, but it looks like youre sorted.

amazing story.

my uncle got it once, he was dumping into the poo caddy and the hose clamp came loose and the hose came off at the trailer connection, covering him from the chest down.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Glad to hear you got it worked out, sorry you had to pay the ultimate price to do it. Better luck come spring.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

I’m also glad it worked out for you. I found out last summer after my boy figured he would help dad out by pulling the valve in camp. It was capped and all was good with a minor drip . I had a good chuckle with the guy behind me waiting in line to unload. His comment was kids helping out? my reply... yes sir
Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Glad it all worked out!

I'm sure many of us can identify with you... Although your tote incident has my stuff beat.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I'm using this for an excuse to buy a wall tent for winter camping!

That is, if I ever can pay for the vet bills for Duke's recent TPLO knee surgery....
HAHA sounds like a worthy excuse!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I'm using this for an excuse to buy a wall tent for winter camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
And whatever toilet facilities you use with your wall tent will also work with your RV should you choose to take it out in sub-zero temperatures again.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Wifey bought me an 18' trailer to use for hunting and I don't use the water or toilet in it. Luckily we are able to plug in and use a shop toilet/shower out where we hunt so facilities are not an issue.

If that wasn't available I'd take a shovel and some tarps, wood and a hammer and nails and I'd build an outhouse in the bush (or I'd invest in noe of those premade outdoor toilet tent thingies) and fill the hole in when I left. If you can live without a toilet using the tent then you could with the trailer too.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the poop caddy, that sucks!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So… here’s the update for those that may find this mildly interesting.

Got the hairdryer going off the generator (don’t tell my wife) and had it blowing up the tube, while I had the trailer furnace running, and my big buddy heater directed at the underside of the trailer. After 40 minutes, gave er a tug and YES!
There’s definitely some solids still frozen in there, but I got the tank down to about 1/3 full, and dumped in more antifreeze and called it a winter.

The part you’ll enjoy, is that when I lifted the turd tote onto the tailgate, it was about 100lbs I’d say. Got it on the tailgate, and rolled it into the bed over the joint, and POP goes the turd tote lid! So…. Probably 20 litres of poo water going everywhere, contaminating stuff in the box, and not to mention myself.

I’ve spent the last 4hrs at the sani station to dump the rest, the truck wash to decontaminate my truck and the stuff in the box, and doing a bit of dry heaving along the way. Let’s just say our eating and beverage choices weren’t the most healthy on that trip. Thank goodness it was cool tonight or the warm air would have made things that much more aromatic! Neighbors saw me strip naked in the backyard, and I’m burning my running shoes.

I feel like I should go get a tetnus shot or flu shot, or maybe just have a very stiff whiskey, for cleanliness purposes of course…..
I fee l your pain. Again this year I waited too long and the sani dump was closed. So bucket after bucket from the street to my bathroom. I find that blue toilet chemical works really good at breaking down solids and controlling the smell. The grey tank actually stunk worse with the stagnant water in there?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Smile

A.D. at first I read your post with interest. I thought this was going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. I haven't left my poop tank with poop in it. But it could happen. So with a curious sort of interest I read on.

Well fast forward to your last post. I thought, good for you. You persevered and did well. I figure with only a 1/3 left in the tank you were on your way to happiness. That was until your tote trouble. I have to admit it provided me with a needed chuckle to my day. I know 100% I would have done exactly the same thing. The clean up must have been a bit of an ordeal. Glad your at least over with it for now and you can wait for spring to get the rest.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Default How to melt a poopsicle

When mobile homeowners freeze up they use heat tape.
Get some and wrap it around your valves and any exposed pipe you might have.....should work after a couple of hours heating.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM

So update for this year.... trailer put away and winterized last week. With empty tanks!!

No hunting for me this year. Hernia surgery and doctors orders. I figure the savings on tags and normal hunting expenses will do a good chunk of my wall tent savings.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 PM

Lol..... saw something like this, this past summer...

Pulled into the RV dump, and myself an momma bear dumpin an flushing etc.
Hailed out fella with two teeth gal pull in, he jumps out and instantly tells me hey look !!!!
Just picked er up fo six hundred, Effen good deal eh bud??
I nod, say sure...Lol
Maiden voyage on what must have been a 78 Dodge mini motor home, like the round headlights type of RV.

We finish up and pull out, turn out an start on the service road back past as the dump is on a one way road..... buddy there is actually laying on his back, reefing on the cap and total pipe off the black/gray and pulls the whole pipe right off outa the black tank!!!!!

I stop in horror as the wifey and I watch the black, turds, paper and all spew all over this fella!!!!

Was the most disgusting, funniest at the same time event ever witnessed to this feller!!!!!!

His gal there received a generous amount being barefooted as well...Lmao...

If it ain't the boat launch, she's the RV dump....Lol...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Lol..... saw something like this, this past summer...

Pulled into the RV dump, and myself an momma bear dumpin an flushing etc.
Hailed out fella with two teeth gal pull in, he jumps out and instantly tells me hey look !!!!
Just picked er up fo six hundred, Effen good deal eh bud??
I nod, say sure...Lol
Maiden voyage on what must have been a 78 Dodge mini motor home, like the round headlights type of RV.

We finish up and pull out, turn out an start on the service road back past as the dump is on a one way road..... buddy there is actually laying on his back, reefing on the cap and total pipe off the black/gray and pulls the whole pipe right off outa the black tank!!!!!

I stop in horror as the wifey and I watch the black, turds, paper and all spew all over this fella!!!!

Was the most disgusting, funniest at the same time event ever witnessed to this feller!!!!!!

His gal there received a generous amount being barefooted as well...Lmao...

If it ain't the boat launch, she's the RV dump....Lol...
In reading through my posts on this thread, I realized I neglected to mention how things went at the truck wash that evening....

As all guys with pickups know, when you're washing the back out, there are usually debris that will shoot back at you from the force of the washer wand.

Well... As I was spraying the most vile things you can imagine out of the box, I made the mistake of spraying into a corner of the box, and a little wee semi-frozen jelly bean sized piece of I'm not sure what flew straight into my open mouth.

That was the source of GREAT deal of dry heaving and self control to finish the job... There was a liquor store next door and I may have washed my mouth out with some crown royal right then and there in the parking lot....

My hunting 'buddy' who had failed to help me with the poopy situation found that enormously funny for some reason. A year later I still shudder.....

Old 10-09-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
In reading through my posts on this thread, I realized I neglected to mention how things went at the truck wash that evening....

As all guys with pickups know, when you're washing the back out, there are usually debris that will shoot back at you from the force of the washer wand.

Well... As I was spraying the most vile things you can imagine out of the box, I made the mistake of spraying into a corner of the box, and a little wee semi-frozen jelly bean sized piece of I'm not sure what flew straight into my open mouth.

That was the source of GREAT deal of dry heaving and self control to finish the job... There was a liquor store next door and I may have washed my mouth out with some crown royal right then and there in the parking lot....

My hunting 'buddy' who had failed to help me with the poopy situation found that enormously funny for some reason. A year later I still shudder.....

This might be post of the year...
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM

Glad you got it sorted. The poop situation doesn't sound too fun! I was lined up for dumping this summer. The guy ahead of me pulled the cap off his dump and was instantly ankle deep in poop. I guess his cable operated valve didn't close. Needless to say, I went to a different dump facility.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM

I use windshield washer fluid in the toilet does not take much to prevent problems in cold weather.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:48 PM

That is horrifying, Diver! Whenever I dumped the tanks, my ritual was very strict, and compartmentalized. I'm sure the other RV'ers stuck behind or watching from the sidelines were very impressed with my surgical-like preparation and managing to stay well outside the radius of any possible splash back.

Disposable gloves, special holding boxes, a little bleach, and hand washing after. It is always a bit of an ordeal for a germophobe!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 PM

In the interest of making it easier for people searching...er "poopy situations" I guess, a little bit of rock salt, or water softening salt goes a long way.

Have spend hours under a mobile, thawing drains, and antifreeze or methanol is too light to make it to where it's frozen. The salt makes heavy brine and will sink to the low point, and bust the ice/poop plug in no time.

Pureblood!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:08 PM

How did you manage to find this 3 year old thread?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
How did you manage to find this 3 year old thread?
Tool has a recent thread on melting water in a tank. I may have shared my experience.

It’s as real and traumatizing as yesterday.

Loving my deluxe wall tent the last two winters!! 😂😂
Old 12-17-2020, 11:10 PM

This has been the most entertaining thread ever...

Most experienced RV owners will have some sort of black water horror story. Yuck!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:12 PM

I’ve had nightmares of that damn semi frozen jellybean ever since. And my buddy is still just as useless. Gagging re-thinking of it again....
Old 12-17-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Tool has a recent thread on melting water in a tank. I may have shared my experience.

It’s as real and traumatizing as yesterday.

Loving my deluxe wall tent the last two winters!! 😂😂
Reliving the memory hey, sounds like you're a sucker for punishment!

It's funny reading it, but man, glad that didn't happen to me and hope it doesn't happen to you again.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Reliving the memory hey, sounds like you're a sucker for punishment!

It's funny reading it, but man, glad that didn't happen to me and hope it doesn't happen to you again.
There’s a certain barbell thread that was permanently deleted that is FAR better than this. Probably 10 years old.

That said. I still have this trailer and I remain permanently scarred from that event.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I’ve had nightmares of that damn semi frozen jellybean ever since. And my buddy is still just as useless. Gagging re-thinking of it again....
I likely would have died, right there! Or my mind would have snapped, and would have entered a persistent vegetative state!

And yes, got here from your link.

Pureblood!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:33 PM

Used to help a guy clean carpets when I was a kid, in high school. What comes out of never cleaned carpets is friggin' disgusting.

We'd dump his tank at the RV dump, and frequently it would be in the hottest part of the summer, and we'd be sweating balls. My boss would grab the clean-out hose and have a drink like at the fountain...

Pureblood!