Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If my life offends you, or it bothers you that I have shared some things, put me on the ignore list but if you 3 are just taking shots to take shots, shove them. Not the time for moronic comments. Thanks.
It's an observation, no one said your life offends us, no one said it bothers us and I for one ain't takin no shots, but please don't draw your own conclusion and put your words in my mouth.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
It's an observation, no one said your life offends us, no one said it bothers us and I for one ain't takin no shots, but please don't draw your own conclusion and put your words in my mouth.
my apologies to you, yours was not a shot, and your reply was nice. Others are not nice.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM

I am Kens son and for any of those wondering, I am doin alright.
Got out of the house today to get some stuff we absolutely needed and I'll tell you now I held my fiance a bit closer to me and was watching over my shoulder more than I'm used to.
Definitely some scary stuff, but I'm still here to tell the story, so I consider that a win.
Sure I might be kicking myself a bit for not being able to stop some idiot with a gun, but it means my parents didn't have to bury me 10 days before my birthday.
Thanks for all the concern fellas!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Glad you made it out ok Kens son.

You did the right thing handing over $300 and lived to tell the tale. The price for all involved could have been a lot higher if you had taken matters into your own hands.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada970 View Post
Got out of the house today to get some stuff we absolutely needed and I'll tell you now I held my fiance a bit closer to me and was watching over my shoulder more than I'm used to.
Definitely some scary stuff, but I'm still here to tell the story, so I consider that a win.
Sure I might be kicking myself a bit for not being able to stop some idiot with a gun, but it means my parents didn't have to bury me 10 days before my birthday.
No doubt you did the right thing and although it did not end “right”, it ended well. Good on you for the ability to keep your cool.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Wholly Crap this thread, just reading through it all now..made my blood boil
reading what this ass did. Almost makes me want to get a sting going and catch
this low life..just unacceptable what was done. 'So Sorry' for this out to
You and Ken and Family!!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Hi and Welcome.
Very glad to hear you're ok. You absolutely did the right thing and shouldn't feel bad about anything. You are the good guy here, not like the lazy, thieving scum.
Have a great day....and life.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 AM

Ken;
That is horrible.....you are lucky to be able to give your son a hug; others in the past, in that same situation, have not been so lucky....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Hey man glad to hear you're doing alright.

I already commented on this thread but over the last day or two this thread has been really bouncing around in my mind and has brought me some perspective.

I've never thought I'd ever be a victim of this sort of stuff, I'm a young guy sitting at 6'4" 210 lbs (a shrimp relative to your son Ken) and I always imagined if someone was looking to rob someone, they'd either choose an easier target than I, or that I'd be able to hold my own if it turned into a fight. Then the shocking reality is that isn't the case. At all. When it comes to people on drugs or with weapons, it doesn't matter how big you are. They make coffins your size too.

It also makes me look back on past times and think I'm lucky I haven't wound up in the same situation as well. Around a month or two ago, I was a bit inebriated with a few buddies out on the town, and I needed cash so I walk into this 7/11 to use the ATM inside while my buddies wait outside. It's probably 1 am, and we aren't in the best area of town. I walk up to the ATM, and I see this sketchier looking guy in the corner of the store sort of looking at me. I get my cash and start leaving the store and in the reflection of the glass doors I see him walking out after me. I walk out and join my friends and we get walking, and I turn around for a second and see the guy walked out and stopped and was still lookin' at me, but wasn't approaching any longer. Now I don't know, maybe this guy just decided to walk out at the same time to get some fresh air, but I'm fairly certain he would have tried something had I not been with a few friends.

So thank you for posting this. It has been a really good reminder that just because it has never happened to me (yet), it doesn't mean that I shouldn't take precautions when in these sorts of scenarios and overall be careful and aware of the possible dangers in public.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:36 AM

Its getting very common these days, sorry to hear that.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

Yesterday my hunting partner was on the side of the highway between Turtleford and St.Walburg changing a flat on his truck when a pick up comes along, slows down and starts scoping him out, 4 guys inside the truck checking him out. Fortunately he is a social media follower and just a few minutes before he was reading a facebook post on a pickup with 3-4 guys in masks who had just left Edam trying to hijack vehicles. They had posted the truck make, colour and details online. Sure enough it's the truck and guys in question. He stood up and kept an eye on them as they passed by checking him out and went to the drivers door as he had his 22-250 on the seat as he had been out hunting yotes, He made his way home after they left and saw them at the local gas station on his way home. Cops were already on their way according to fb posts so he didn't have to call. Said last he heard the cops had caught them. He also said he was glad he had that rifle handy just in case but he said he felt that was too close for comfort.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Just seeing this now.... wow!

Is there any hope of catching this loser?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 AM

sorry to hear that cant even think how you felt glad your boy is home
Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Yesterday my hunting partner was on the side of the highway between Turtleford and St.Walburg changing a flat on his truck when a pick up comes along, slows down and starts scoping him out, 4 guys inside the truck checking him out. Fortunately he is a social media follower and just a few minutes before he was reading a facebook post on a pickup with 3-4 guys in masks who had just left Edam trying to hijack vehicles. They had posted the truck make, colour and details online. Sure enough it's the truck and guys in question. He stood up and kept an eye on them as they passed by checking him out and went to the drivers door as he had his 22-250 on the seat as he had been out hunting yotes, He made his way home after they left and saw them at the local gas station on his way home. Cops were already on their way according to fb posts so he didn't have to call. Said last he heard the cops had caught them. He also said he was glad he had that rifle handy just in case but he said he felt that was too close for comfort.
Sheesh. I have a buddy who has a cabin out at Jackfish lake in SK. Says the Turtleford/Edam area has some rough characters to it.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
That is some scary s#%t!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Ken I know you are not in favor of CC and of course if that works for you , that's fine. no problem.

I'm not sure excatly how common this stuff is but I do know a dozen or so people that have been mugged at knifepoint, gunpoint, and even killed exiting a parking lot.

What measures do you think a person can take to prevent these events from happening, surviving them when they do, and brining the perp to justice if that is even feasable?

Beyond situational awareness all the time what are your thoughts?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Ken I know you are not in favor of CC and of course if that works for you , that's fine. no problem.

I'm not sure excatly how common this stuff is but I do know a dozen or so people that have been mugged at knifepoint, gunpoint, and even killed exiting a parking lot.

What measures do you think a person can take to prevent these events from happening, surviving them when they do, and brining the perp to justice if that is even feasable?

Beyond situational awareness all the time what are your thoughts?
Don't go to a poorly lit gas station by yourself at midnight.
Don't park the truck around the side out of view of cameras. I told him to park by the pumps if he had to get money, do not care if he is getting gas or not. There are a lot of pumps generally, I do not care if someone has to wait a minute while he does his thing.
If you take out a bunch of money put all but $20 or so in your pocket, the rest in your wallet to hand to the piece of trash.
Let him take the money and leave. Do not get in a confrontation with trash carrying guns.
Remember where the view of your dashcam is. Try to get in front of it for evidence later.

And honestly, as bad as this sounds, if it was me and I saw him after I would hold him until the Police showed up. Either with my bumper against another immovable object or under the vehicle.
We talked about that a lot. It is real easy to be a keyboard tough guy. In person with steel against the back of his head he was frozen in place. He had to remember how to breathe.
Nothing is as easy as thinking about it after or in front of a keyboard.

But if I had the chance, there would be an insurance claim on my vehicle. If I go to jail so be it, but the bastard would not do it to me again if I had the chance.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks Ken It all makes sense on the forum here but like you said it ain't the same where the rubber meets the road. No one knows what they would do until it happens. Be aware. And as I said I'm glad he's ok.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Thanks Ken It all makes sense on the forum here but like you said it ain't the same where the rubber meets the road. No one knows what they would do until it happens. Be aware. And as I said I'm glad he's ok.
Thank you. We are too. We met with him for his Birthday Sunday and as you can imagine, the topic came up. He is sleeping ok, but it will be a long time I think before he relaxes in Edmonton.
I am hoping he comes back this way, sooner than later. Maybe when they are married they will settle back in Wainwright, Vermilion, Lloyd, somewhere close.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Banned

Good to hear the boy is ok. This is where society is going. I wonder what the piece of trash needed it for, he probably just got off work and needed it to feed his family I'm guessing... NOT!!! Probably stole it for drug money, but I'm happy to know that all he has to do is use the safe injection site and he will turn his life around... Doubtful.

They should find people like this and goodbye. Thieves, rapists, murders, there are plenty of humans on earth, we don't need these kind around
Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Sheesh. I have a buddy who has a cabin out at Jackfish lake in SK. Says the Turtleford/Edam area has some rough characters to it.
Getting worse each day it seems. Lots of it going on around this area.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 AM

Can you imagine if selecting a jury was reversed; whereby we the people of the community, could select the trial we wanted to sit on?

The the guilty rate/sentencing would be very different for sure... IMHO....

Anyway, Ken I am glad your son is ok....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Can you imagine if selecting a jury was reversed; whereby we the people of the community, could select the trial we wanted to sit on?

The the guilty rate/sentencing would be very different for sure... IMHO....

Anyway, Ken I am glad your son is ok....
I wish the locals from where the crime was committed were able to determine the punishment after conviction.

I bet there would be a lot less crime in conservative neighborhoods compared to liberal ones!