Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Anyone else get this phone call/Scam?

So at 7:am this morning I get this very hard to understand east speaking
fool calling me to say someone has been using my Router's IP address
between 2-4:am. Tells me they are going to send me a free router over
the matter. I ask "which internet company I am with", she couldn't answer that question.
Is this the lastest CRA-like scam floating around?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 AM

It is obviously a scam, but you would be better served to call your internet provider for the confirmation.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM

I'm immune to these scams. I never answer my phone. The last time I picked that thing up was about 8 months ago and it there was a delay so I hung up. My wife uses it to call home and I want it so the kids friends can call so I haven't got rid of it yet. I think about 60% of incoming is telemarketers or Telus by watching my wife hang up all the time.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
It is obviously a scam, but you would be better served to call your internet provider for the confirmation.
Was the first thing I did was to put a call to them..the word
on this lowlife-ism act is getting out now via my provider &
Police now notified.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM

One of the things I miss by not having a land line is the phone scams. I used to love to waste their time by making stuff up, playing along and swearing at them. It was a good stress relief. LOL.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
I'm immune to these scams. I never answer my phone. The last time I picked that thing up was about 8 months ago and it there was a delay so I hung up. My wife uses it to call home and I want it so the kids friends can call so I haven't got rid of it yet. I think about 60% of incoming is telemarketers or Telus by watching my wife hang up all the time.
x2....I would love to get rid of my landline.....I guess $15.00 per month is not going to bankrupt me yet..LOL
Old 11-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Got one a few days ago. I said I didn't understand because I didn't own a computer. He hung up pretty quick. Interesting that he knew my tel#, my name & the kind of computer he thought I had. Do people actually fall for this stuff?????????????
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
One of the things I miss by not having a land line is the phone scams. I used to love to waste their time by making stuff up, playing along and swearing at them. It was a good stress relief. LOL.
You too, huh?

I have no more land lines and I miss using my "creepy" voice on women telemarketers:

"Thank-you for calling. I'm lonely and have no friends. Will YOU be my friend?"
Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Sometimes I'll string them along until they ask for my credit card number. Then I'll say sure, but my wallet is out in my truck so you'll have to hang on for a minute or two while I go get it. It's amazing how long they'll wait while I go about whatever I was doing when they called. If they think they have a live on on the hook they'll sit there for quite a while, probably planning what they're going to buy with my money, before they figure it out. Less time for them to bother someone else with their nonsense.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
One of the things I miss by not having a land line is the phone scams..

Can't recall scam phone calls on my cell, but I HAVE gotten scam texts. Was surprised to start getting them....
Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 PM

I keep an air horn handy and just let em have it. Too funny and I laugh my head off every time.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 PM

I got that exact call in the evening a few nights back. They wanted me to check the router. I knew they were going to ask for the codes so I said what is a router? He said it was attached to my computer. I said I don't have a computer. They are too expensive and against my probation order. He asked what a probation order was. I said I was prone to violence against those that wrong me and therefore I can't do drugs, drink alcohol, own weapons or a computer.

He stuttered and hung up.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I got that exact call in the evening a few nights back. They wanted me to check the router. I knew they were going to ask for the codes so I said what is a router? He said it was attached to my computer. I said I don't have a computer. They are too expensive and against my probation order. He asked what a probation order was. I said I was prone to violence against those that wrong me and therefore I can't do drugs, drink alcohol, own weapons or a computer.

He stuttered and hung up.
I was offered a free trip from a telemarketer years ago. I said I'm not interested as I am on a no fly list. That ended the call shortly after.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Had the cra oweing taxes one the other day. He threatened jail time. I said here is my address, can you come now? Im married with 4 kids and could use the rest. He just couldnt get it? 3 hots and a cot over paying my tax bill sounded great. We eventually swore at me called me an a-hole and hung up.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Can't recall scam phone calls on my cell, but I HAVE gotten scam texts. Was surprised to start getting them....
Yup some hammerhead said there was a transfer of funds, bla,bla,bla on my cell via text...I knew it was a lie cuz I ain't got no funds

Lumpy mattress full of cash.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
So at 7:am this morning I get this very hard to understand east speaking
fool calling me to say someone has been using my Router's IP address
between 2-4:am. Tells me they are going to send me a free router over
the matter. I ask "which internet company I am with", she couldn't answer that question.
Is this the lastest CRA-like scam floating around?
Got the exact same phone call this morning... asked for a p.u location....click
Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Banned

Been getting them too. I love when these guys call me, I’m sure they second guess their motives after being on the phone with me for a good half hour.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 PM

I got the CRA scam today. Apparently someone with CRA's criminal investigation unit. They wanted personal details. lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard