Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Default K-country Fishing and Outdoors Report

Just got in from 5 days at the interlakes campground in Peter Lougheed park.

Wife and I did a mountain bike from Poceterra to the fire lookout, down to Boulton store for lunch then back to Poceterra on the paved paths. Nice ride, but the first 12km's were uphill...

We saw lots of moose, a grizzly at the elk pass trailhead, and had a good trip despite the unsettled weather.

At the corner of PLP turnoff and highway 40 there are always bighorn sheep there at the mineral lick. There was a coyote staring at the little ewes, and wasn't scared of people. I thought that was pretty odd.

Back to the fishing stuff since I posted in the fishing section...

Lower Lake - spent a little time there near the generator station, but didn't get anything.

Elbow Lake - nice little hike in. It's pretty short, but the hill up gets you breathing. Trout were jumping by the hundreds. Maddening that I couldn't even get a bite though. I was using various spinners and spoons. The guys flyfishing and the one guy in the bellyboat fly fishing did well.

Chester Lake - I've been hiking in K-country for over 10 years now, and never bothered to go to Chester because I thought it was too popular. We went yesterday and the hike in and out took us 2hrs exactly. Wow, what a beautiful valley and lake up there. Glad I finally went up (on a weekday). Caught a few little cuthroats and had a great afternoon. Talk about bighorn country though! Great habitat and sign up there on the southwest end of the lake.

At Chester, there is a sign on the trail that says "Fishing Prohibited" in big large letters. What people don't read is the fine print that outlines the 0 limit for cutthroats and 2 for dolly varden. The lake is closed from November to June somthing. Anyhow, there were a few yuppies up there trying to tell me I couldn't fish. I thought back to previous discussions where people jump down others throats for ignorance, and I decided to be nice. I said that yes, the sign says that but also outlines when you can fish, and what the limits are. Then the guy proceeds to ask if I'm using bait, trying to see if he can 'catch me' on that one. I replied, nope, that's illegal here. Then he asks if I pinched all my barbs. I invited him to have a look at the little tupperware container I had with me with all the lures on it.

I was really getting bugged with this guy and him not minding his own business, but I decided to turn the other cheek although he was one of those types that was anti-fishing, anti-catch-and-release, anti-whatever.

Didn't let it spoil the afternoon though, because it was a great trip and a nice hike in and out.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

I admire your patience - I'd have told Mr. Peta what to go do with himself very quickly.

Looks like a nice trip on some gorgeous geography!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Yeah, he just wasn't worth it. They made sure to have lunch in view of us to make sure I didn't keep anything.

I kind of felt sad for them. We were having a great day, and they allowed their afternoon to have a negative tone by worrying about what I was up to.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 AM

Thumbs up

Great report & pics!
Thanks for sharing!
I think you need to take up fly fishing, though.
Reason #1- you'd catch trout at Elbow Lake
Reason #2- you would be less likely to be harassed by some random
Peta member/ fish cop wannabe! People assume that all flyfishermen are
ethical, law-abiding stewards of our fisheries, & assume that all spinfishermen
are bait-chucking poachers.
I almost forgot reason #3- see my signature pic!