Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Chickakoo and Jackfish report...

Today I went out for a few hours to do some icefishing.
At 8:00 I arrived at Chickakoo Lake.. The ice was anywhere from 6-8 inches thick.
First I setup my "windless" tip-up, rigged it up with a minnow on a size 6 red octopus hook. 5 Minutes later I had a 9inch brook trout take the bait, even before I could fully setup my tent!
After that I caught 6 more, one on the tip-up, 4 on a jig and minnow. The last one on a reaction bait (chubby darter), but many other trout snapped at that (I missed a 14 inch brookie on the darter ).
People made the mistake of using mealworms, nightcrawlers, and maggots, when I asked around no one had caught anything. The key is shiners, from what I've found Brook trout are more piscivorous than insectivorous if given the choice.
At 9:30 I packed up, keeping 3 trout.

Then I went straight to Jackfish Lake, It took me a good 30 minutes to get there, the ice was 6-9 inches thick. Setup everything.
30 minutes later, nothing. So I move the tip-up, 10 minutes after that I get a huge hit on the tip-up, but I missed it. I assume it was a pike or a burbot. 20 minutes later I pack up, skunked But the guy I was fishing near didn't have ANY takes, so I was fortunate

AF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brookie001.jpg (103.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg brookie002.jpg (158.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg brookie003.jpg (105.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM

With the time I've spent out at that lake in the past week, I wouldn't say the others were making a mistake using other bait at all. Right now it's location, location, location!

Congrats on your catch

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
With the time I've spent out at that lake in the past week, I wouldn't say the others were making a mistake using other bait at all. Right now it's location, location, location!

Congrats on your catch
Huh, good to know! They just claimed that they weren't getting solid hits, just taps, I got a solid hit every time. Maybe it was their technique..?
Thanks!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Huh, good to know! They just claimed that they weren't getting solid hits, just taps, I got a solid hit every time. Maybe it was their technique..?
Thanks!
Could have been?

The only thing I can say is that minnows are one of the few baits that I haven't used out there recently and I've caught my fair share of brookies...and then some

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM

I talked with Albertafisher today and he said to move to his spot. I was near him using a jig and a 1" gulp alive minnow and had lots of interest and one came out of nowhere and hammered me. He was lucky and spit the hook as I set it and wasn't able to land any. Had about a dozen come look but none landed.

I've never really been a big bait user but for trout I'm going to have to change my old habits.

Still better to be out on the ice than not at all. Had tough love at Chickakoo my first 2 times there. Ice is still iffy but lots of people were out today.