Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Thumbs down bass pro shops

Well it only took 2 visits for me to not want to return....... very dismal customer experience in the fly shop
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 PM

I work there part time..........What made it so bad for you ?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM

The guys in the fly shop.. lol
Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Exactly well this one kid offered no helpful information and i had to stand there for 5 minutes listening to him make fun of this girl and insupt her cuz she was buying peacock feathers and had facial piercings( the 2 werent related) then his utter rudeness to myself and simply asking if theyd pre pinch my barbs for me. I got a "no! That y we sell plires buy some and do it yourself" tfh in edmonton does this for me when requested. But beside the fact a simple sorry we cant do that would have sufficed. So needless to say i spoke to the manager. I also find them higher priced which i could have dealt with until it came with poor customer service..... ill be finding a new fishing shop next time im down this way i might even try to find the fishin hole calgary
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
I work there part time..........What made it so bad for you ?
Iv been there lots of times iv had good service i asked him a few questions he awnsered em as best as he could and i was satified.
too bad they fired that asian guy he knew his stuff..
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Iv been there lots of times iv had good service i asked him a few questions he awnsered em as best as he could and i was satified.
too bad they fired that asian guy he knew his stuff..
First time was good second time bad it was not the same people first time it was 2 gentlemen in their mid thirties or older answered all of my questions and gave me a few tips and were very polite second time young fellow and bad experience. So im 50/50 good and bad. Thats not a good sign ill shop elsewhere
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Just FYI...threads complaining about service at sporting goods stores tend to get shut down pretty quickly.

With that being said, things will vary from store to store, and from visit to visit. I have found that the BPS fly shop employees tend to stay in a group at the counter, and you don't really get more than a casual comment from them; in addition, their prices are a bit high, and their selection a bit low. The WSS fly shop, on the other hand, provides consistently friendly service, reasonable prices, and pretty good selection. I have other opinions of other departments in each of these 2 stores -- WSS is strong in some departments; and BPS is strong in others. You just have to be prepared for that.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Just FYI...threads complaining about service at sporting goods stores tend to get shut down pretty quickly.

With that being said, things will vary from store to store, and from visit to visit. I have found that the BPS fly shop employees tend to stay in a group at the counter, and you don't really get more than a casual comment from them; in addition, their prices are a bit high, and their selection a bit low. The WSS fly shop, on the other hand, provides consistently friendly service, reasonable prices, and pretty good selection. I have other opinions of other departments in each of these 2 stores -- WSS is strong in some departments; and BPS is strong in others. You just have to be prepared for that.
Good info thx. Ill have to check em out next trip perhaps
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM

I've had great service everytime I've gone to Fish Tales. You might want to give them a try next time your down.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Thx Corey..........
Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 PM

I was at Bass pro the other day, snooping at fish finders. I did not make my way to the fly section. But the guy at the fish finder section was very informative chatted him up for 1/2 an hour, did not even buy anything this time around. They also had a boat license booth there so, I got myself one of those. I like that store. I could go broke there in a hurry if I did not have any self control. I find the service there excellent, at least from those I have talked to.

I imagine every store has 1 or 2 people working that should not be employed. I just walk away from those clerks that I do not want to deal with.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM

whole sale sports.

Everytime I go there the sale people are like used car salesmen; always there.

Except for there gun counter, that sucks.

I live in Airdrie and visit BPS ALOT and always had not bad service; but some of the people have NO knowlege of the items they are selling.

It is all about the training. My experience is ask the old guys there. They know a thing or too.

Cheers.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but I'd have to agree with the lack of service at BPS. I went there last week looking to buy the I-pilot trolling motor. 3 sales guys behind counter stood there chatting with one another about the hockey game while another customer and I waited for service. When one of the guys finally offered to help, he either didn't know anything about the I-pilot or he didn't care to try to sell one so I left. Went to Fishin Hole and bought the Terrova I-Pilot and an onboard charger from Kelly. Kelly really knows his sh!t when it comes to boat electronics. I was able to make an informed decision and walked out of the store happy. Can't wait to use it on the water!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 PM

I've come to the conclusion that if I see something interesting in a box store like Basspro or Wholesale, that I could use some info on, I will ask once of whoever is there. About 1/2 of the time I will get a decent answer. Then I go home and do some research on it, and make a decision there. Then go back to 2 or 3 stores and get the one with the best price, or go and buy it on the internet, if I can get a good deal that way.
In most cases I try to make sure I know what I want, what I need to know about it and what I am willing to pay for it before I go there. It saves a lot of time with dealing with people who are supposedly being paid to work there and sell something.
Or just go to a place that is actually more specialized in the product to start with.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM

Yea the service is only as good as the person helping you out.
But I have to agree BPS is not that great. I think I only had anyone come up to me and asked if I needed help...and it was one of those fishing pros. Even counting that it has only been a 5% chance with any customer service.

Just this month I was @ the Fish Finders dept, this guy would just stand there inside the area without even acknowledging or ask if I needed help. Not sure if he's even working there. Definitely horrid customer service...or wait...zero customer service.

Both Fishinghole and WSS are great. Staffs are always friendly and willing to help. WSS makes me feel like I walked in to Futureshop, but I don't think they are on comission there unlike futureshop? In any case, both of those (WSS & Fishinhole) are night and day when compared to BPS. Hopefully Cabelas in Edmonton would be another good store.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM

Sorry not to derail but some of you mentioned of purchasing stuffs online...can you PM me the sites that you had experience with? Are they cdn sites or do you have to pay duty regardless?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 AM

I only ever made one purchase at BPS (reel) and I thoght the service was great..

I must have hit them on a good day...lol
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 AM

About a month ago I was at BPS looking at fishfinders. Gerry spent alot of time with me and I never bought anything. Was there last weekend to purchase something and luckily Gerry was working again. He remembered me and answed all questions I had and I bought a fishfinder from him. Are all BPS empolyees like Gerry. Probably not. Go into Costco or any box store and find someone knowledgable about everything. Good luck. Go to Canadian Tire on a weekend and try to find someone over 16 to help you out.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 AM

I must be different, I don't like to be approched instantly I walk into a store. If I am looking at something then I will ask for some help. And some times that well take some walking to find someone but so be it.

We are just customers not kings to be waited on hand and foot. Do some of the leg work and your experience might be better instead of relying on some kid that is only there to get a pay check. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
Thx Corey..........
Wow never thought it would have been the guys in the fly shop, I have shop this store more then once matter a fact I was given a preferred rewards card.
I must say out of the box stores Bass is my fav.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM

I noticed the same thing the last time at bps, in the fly area. The young guys stood there chatting, hardly even answered anyones questions. I will try again tomorrow.

The best cs I have had in a long time was at wss south Edmonton last time, the clerk almost ran to get the things I asked for, had a neat pile of stuff for me when he was done, perfect service. I was trying to outfit for a Chans chromy.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Banned

i dont know anything about the fishing department, but i know there is a least one guy in archery who knows his stuff.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Well I'll thow my opinion in & say that a few quality employees aside, service at BPS is marginal at best but they certainly don't hold the monopoly on that! The worst thing about most box stores is that besides a few people, they tend to have a fairly high turn over rate so the good service you had last month might not be experienced by the client who shops the same department now or vise versa. It's a lot like my local Canadian Tire; if you know what you want, where in the store to find it, & don't have any involved questions to ask about that product then you're good to go, if not then God help you!

It would maybe more positive & beneficial to everyone if these noteworthy induviduals who go out of their way to help people & are willing to take the time to explain things to those who require it received some sort of honourable mention in a thread like this as well as what department they work in to help guide us consumers to having a much more pleasant shopping experience. Also might get the attention of the supervisors & managers if they have certain employees that are constantly requested or asked for in regards to who meets the needs of customer service & where they need to improve ?

Last edited by pikester; 04-30-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM

While I am there tomorrow, I am going to subtly ask the clerks I deal with, if they have heard of the forum. Hopefully I see a supervisor or 2.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-30-2011, 03:14 PM

the guy with one hand is great he ran out of his wayy to get a BPS. same with the past guys who left neil and the asian guy.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM

WSS i talked to two guys and one, was okay, but then i fou d this older fellow and he phmped me full of information on the local lakes (me being kinda new) and was very, very helpful. This one guy guarantees that i go there first.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
the guy with one hand is great he ran out of his wayy to get a BPS. same with the past guys who left neil and the asian guy.
i agree. the first guy you speak of is the one who helped me not too long ago when i bought another reel and line for it. he was more than helpful and had a good attitude.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 AM

I remembber reading about Cabelas earlier in the thread. I have been at Cabelas in Utah. I must say that everybody knew their stuff pretty well in fishing. They answered all my questions as well as they could. Hopefully Cabelas in Edmonton will be as good!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM

I fail to see the logic or reasoning behind making such statements. The store is only as good as the person waiting on you but all stores in every industry have good and bad employees. If you get a bad one then move on instead of judging the rest of the store or the rest of the employees. Just yesterday a woman I work with said she wanted a mustang but wont buy one now cause the salesman was a "jerk". I fail to see how a salesman being a jerk should prevent you from buying a car. I mean there are different salesmen, dealerships etc. If you want a mustang then buy one.....if you want good service then deal with someone else. If one guy at one dealership turns you completely off of buying a car I think there's deeper seeded issues that need to be addressed.
Just sounds like bad reasoning to me.

The thing you mention that I think is kind of unfair is pinching the hooks. That is not their responsibility, they sell hooks not barb pinching service. Just because some smaller shop you visit does this, that doesn't make the large store have bad service. It's just going the extra mile to compete with the big guy so you cant blame the big guy for not doing it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 AM

The thing you mention that I think is kind of unfair is pinching the hooksI fail to see the logic or reasoning behind . That is not their responsibility, they sell hooks not barb pinching service. Just because some smaller shop you visit does this, that doesn't make the large store have bad service. It's just going the extra mile to compete with the big guy so you cant blame the big guy for not doing it.[/QUOTE]

I can see a new thread starting now that the people at BPS didn't pinch my barps enough and now I got pinched by F & W. Blah, Blah, Blah. Whats it going to be next. You want the exact GPS corodinants to the best walleye hole at Pinelake. What ever happened to looking after your own well being. Oh ya, you probably became a union member.