Atlantic Salmon 34 18.99%
Arctic Charr 3 1.68%
STAL (other....) 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishing only 902 View Post
ya i caught one i estimated at well over a hundred pounds. i gauged it based on the ribs of a fat woman on shore.
its illegal to keep slinks because only a pathetic person would even fish for them. doesnt matter what you fish with they will attack anything. and seeing as how i grew up fishing the margaree which is known world wide for its big fish and only on one occasion in 15 years ever saw a fish even close to 50 inches.
either way id like to thank you for making god knows how many salmon not have a chance at being a repeat spawner by fishing with your red devil and worm gob.
oh and to further back up my calling bull**** on you is the fact that it is illegal to intentionally fish for them. but hey thanks for admitting you broke the law on a public forum.
laws for fishing atlantics has changed drastically over the last 20 years....how do you know when he was fishing for them? It is hard to call people out on fishing regs without much information...unless they are fishing minnows in Cochrane. I would welcome someone with a red devil over the people I have seen snagging them below dams on the spawn run...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

i agree 100% but specifically fishing for slinks has been and always will be illegal in nova scotia. this practice has been proven to be able to wipe out an entire river in as little as 3 seasons.
this is something i have personally spent years fighting and trying to educate people about . its usually done under the guise of fishing for trout but usually as soon as you see the gear they are using it is obvious trout are not what they are they for. there was even a guide in cape breton who was offering spring salmon trips on the margaree at one point years ago(even though it was illegal)
the atlantic salmon is recognized as one of the worlds greatest sport fish for good reason. the practice of catching slinks is one of many causes that has all but wiped them out in the rivers of mainland nova scotia.
i guess the main thing im trying to say is i dont believe he landed a 54' inch fish slink or not. there is no way nobody would know about a record breaking salmon,and nobody with any knowledge on the fish would ever attempt to brag about a slink regardless of size. the biggest salmon i have ever seen was below doyles bridge on the margaree back in 1995. myself and 3 old guys with over 40 years on the river each fished over it 14 hours a day for 3 days without a raise and on the forth day it was gone. all 3 said it was by far the biggest salmon they had ever seen. and it was estimated at 50'- 52' inches.
and just as a side note the salmon you mention taken in a canoe that was in woods and stream was proven to be phoney not long after the story was published. there was no evidence to back up the claim of how big the fish was.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

I'm always amazed by people who hold such disregard for a fish type and then really bash on those who may target them,, I don't get it.

The other funny thing (not haha funny), are the people who have their big fish recorded by whatever governing angling body and then think "... well there it is, mine is the biggest ever ever ever!"

Before Burbs were fashionable, we used to target them at night at the canal at McGreg, 30lbs was tops and 25lbs was normal,, I brought this up in another thread and the new record holder had a verbal weep-out,, it's not important. The 12lb Rainbow in the regs is far smaller than the one on AO caught about the same time and I've seen plenty much bigger than the AO one, just because it wasn't reported doesn't mean someone hasn't caught a fish larger or at par or slightly smaller; some people don't fish just to boast.
My father caught a 16+lb walleye at Bassano and BBQ'd it and shared the meal with anyone nearby, when the fish cops came by and saw the fillet'd remains of the fish they asked why he didn't record it as the record Walleye? Because my Dad was fishing & camping with the kids, the fish was second to the weekend.

So Treeguy, good on ya for catching the near record or record for that matter.

And 902,, seriously,, bend your words a bit so they're less confrontational (don't use retard or near cussings, there are kids online, and despite their schoolyard language, it's best that we show it as less the norm amongst "Adults") and anyways, people may share more secret trout spots with you.

Last edited by Gust; 06-29-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I'm always amazed by people who hold such disregard for a fish type and then really bash on those who may target them,, I don't get it.

The other funny thing (not haha funny), are the people who have their big fish recorded by whatever governing angling body and then think "... well there it is, mine is the biggest ever ever ever!"

Before Burbs were fashionable, we used to target them at night at the canal at McGreg, 30lbs was tops and 25lbs was normal,, I brought this up in another thread and the new record holder had a verbal weep-out,, it's not important. The 12lb Rainbow in the regs is far smaller than the one on AO caught about the same time and I've seen plenty much bigger than the AO one, just because it wasn't reported doesn't mean someone hasn't caught a fish larger or at par or slightly smaller; some people don't fish just to boast.
My father caught a 16+lb walleye at Bassano and BBQ'd it and shared the meal with anyone nearby, when the fish cops came by and saw the fillet'd remains of the fish they asked why he didn't record it as the record Walleye? Because my Dad was fishing & camping with the kids, the fish was second to the weekend.

So Treeguy, good on ya for catching the near record or record for that matter.

And 902,, seriously,, bend your words a bit so they're less confrontational (don't use retard or near cussings, there are kids online, and despite the schoolyard language, it's best that we show it as less the norm amongst "Adults") and anyways, people may share more secret trout spots with you.
a "slink" is NOT a fish type. it is a spawned out salmon that did not get to leave the river after spawning before winter. they overwinter in the river and return to the ocean in very early spring,right around the time the rivers back home open for trout. they are already stressed to the max and near starving from the overwintering in the river.
and i apologize if i seem confrontational i just hate seeing such false information being given on something .
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
a "slink" is NOT a fish type. it is a spawned out salmon that did not get to leave the river after spawning before winter. they overwinter in the river and return to the ocean in very early spring,right around the time the rivers back home open for trout. they are already stressed to the max and near starving from the overwintering in the river.
and i apologize if i seem confrontational i just hate seeing such false information being given on something .
A local name for a fish type,, my use of fish type was as broad a term I could think of to cover all naming of all fish.

search back a bit and look up the thread on pickeral/walleye, it's very funny
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

So,

This fish, as 28 of you have voted, is indeed Salmo salar, the Atlantic Salmon, and as 902 so expertly pointed out it is a "slink'.

Characters to differentiate this fish from Salmo trutta, the brown trout whom more than 2/3 of all votes were cast for, are as follows:

1. Mandible reaching the eye, not extending beyond.
2. Adipose fin without spots.

Thanks everyone for voting and feel free to post up some pictures of real brown trout.

Fish On
Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM

I voted for atlantic salmon D: do i gets a cookie?

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post

Although it does amuse me with 4 votes going to bull trout, a few going to arctic char. You at least gotta know how to identify trout from a char. Otherwise im worried about our waters...
X2! I've been fishing 5 years or so and am still learning about new species all the time, here in our fine country.
I went to vote perch but didn't see that option!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Default bhflyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
X2! I've been fishing 5 years or so and am still learning about new species all the time, here in our fine country.
I went to vote perch but didn't see that option!
Bhflyfisher, why don't you provide those characters that distinguish charr from trout/salmon. There are clearly a few people that would appreciate your knowledge on this subject.

Not to mention the guy busted frying a bull at the k-lakes last weekend.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Default 0liver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
I voted for atlantic salmon D: do i gets a cookie?
too little too late im afraid...
Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Bhflyfisher, why don't you provide those characters that distinguish charr from trout/salmon. There are clearly a few people that would appreciate your knowledge on this subject.

Not to mention the guy busted frying a bull at the k-lakes last weekend.

Cheers
Why did ya quote me but then ask bhflyfisher questions? Just curious? U DO know I'm kidding about the perch thing right
Man.....I wish KFC delivered!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

I thought it would quote your quote, and I quote, "Know what I mean?"

Anything can be delivered for the right price!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Why did ya quote me but then ask bhflyfisher questions? Just curious? U DO know I'm kidding about the perch thing right
Man.....I wish KFC delivered!
they deliver after 4pm
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Gotcha.
Anybody swinging by KFC, I'll place my order and give you a great tip!

Don't eat yellow snow.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
they deliver after 4pm
seriously?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

yup dirty bird delivers after 4
Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default ..

Quote:
yup dirty bird delivers after 4
so...much...potential....must....resist....arghhhh
Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM

if you ask that the delivery guy to call before delivering...they will stop and pickup anything you want..beer, cigs and a date.....anything for a buck
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
so...much...potential....must....resist....arghhhh
I know...it's hard. I never see ANYBODY at the KFC here, dunno if the chicken's tainted er what. But I'll prolly end up taking my chances....
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
if you ask that the delivery guy to call before delivering...they will stop and pickup anything you want..beer, cigs and a date.....anything for a buck
Will they pick me up some Wendys?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Winnnnerrrrrr yessssssssssss
i knew it was a squab!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Will they pick me up some Wendys?
yup....but the Red headed beotch boils the meat
Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
yup....but the Red headed beotch boils the meat
Nasty. I'd be a lil afraid to see what goes on in the KFC kitchen too
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Nasty. I'd be a lil afraid to see what goes on in the KFC kitchen too
thats why it comes in a bucket......dont try the same in a burger foil
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Winnnnerrrrrr yessssssssssss
i knew it was a squab!
Well,

According to Atlantic Fishes of Canada by B. Scott and M. Scott, the Atlantic salmon is without subspecies.

That said, genetic analysis has shown that each river has a unique genotype of native atlantic salmon that can be altered with the introduction of genotypes not native to each specific stream.

Each population is unique. By river, by watershed, by region, by west atlantic or east atlantic, and between east atlantic and baltic watersheds.

There are many studies on this.

That said, unless 'squab' can be related to a specific genotype or in the case of farmed varieties, 'cultivar', it is likely a misnomer and has no place in describing any specific variety of S.salar, and is best retained only within the local streamside nomenclature.

bzz
Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Hilarious, that all the votes are now going for Atlantic salmon.

Good job guys...

Don't worry, poles are open until friday...
Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well,

According to Atlantic Fishes of Canada by B. Scott and M. Scott, the Atlantic salmon is without subspecies.

That said, genetic analysis has shown that each river has a unique genotype of native atlantic salmon that can be altered with the introduction of genotypes not native to each specific stream.

Each population is unique. By river, by watershed, by region, by west atlantic or east atlantic, and between east atlantic and baltic watersheds.

There are many studies on this.

That said, unless 'squab' can be related to a specific genotype or in the case of farmed varieties, 'cultivar', it is likely a misnomer and has no place in describing any specific variety of S.salar, and is best retained only within the local streamside nomenclature.

bzz

i said i had secret for you
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Default shhhh

Quote:
i said i had secret for you
What secret?

PMSecret to me
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned