Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 AM

Default New to trout fishing need some help

what hooks do you recommend for trout fishing for casting?
I was using a comet spinner and got a few nibles but couldnt hook anything.
I have never fished for trout before so any help is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 AM

What kind of water are you fishing, lakes or streams?

Your Mepps spinner is actually a good choice, maybe you're just using one that isn't small enough? I've had luck with Mepps and Panther Martin spinners, and small Len Thompson spoons. More times than not, I find the smaller the better.

Another idea is to use those "adjust-a-bubble" type bobbers and use flies. If fish are rising you could use a pattern such as an Adams or Elk Hair Caddis, or try a nymph such as a Pheasant Tail Nymph or Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear.

If bait is allowed, you can use pickerel rigs and Power Bait, worms, maggots, or what ever you have handy.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 AM

scott pretty much gave you all the info you need, if somthing isnt working give somthing else a try until you find whats working, another thing i use is a smaller crank bait in a silver or rainbow pattern
Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 AM

ok thanks
its just in small ponds
i was getting a little p/oed when on friday i was at cardiff and there was fish jumping everywhere i turned my head but none of them would bite
Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 PM

If the fish are rising, a dry fly is the first thing that I would try. Like I mentioned earlier, pick up one of those bobbers that you can fill with a bit of water for casting weight, and try a couple of different dry flies. I would pick elk hair caddis, adams, and stimulators to start with, all in probably a size 14 or so.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I also use the dry fly/casting bubble works good, just bring a wire for threading the line through the casting bubble. A single hook a couple feet behind the bubble with a shinner works really good too in alot of stocked ponds. Mosquito imitations work pretty well anywhere for bows

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Pick rig with little hooks if the trout are little guys. Pink power bait, sparkled or unsparkled. Has never ever failed meGood luck!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM

I fish cardiff quite a bit and I found all the above work. I like spinners personnaly because there are so many little guys you will end up using a container of bait with nothing to show for it. I was using a number 1 panther martin with leech body and that was slaying them. I also used a gold kastmaster, Mepps spinner number two blade and they were all getting fish. Pickeral rig with worms or marshmellows was also pulling in a lot too, but once again I rather just use spinners for the little guys. Give it another try with smaller spinners and you will have a blast.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

The easyest and usualy most efective way is hang an earthworm or half a crawler below a bobber. Slip bobbers are the best, dont use too large of a bobber and add enough weight so that it barely floats. Other than that flys, spinners and small len thompson spoons work well. If your having trouble hooking them on lures somthing slower will usualy solve that.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Hoochie Papa

Hey guys, I just read through here looking for some advice on catching trout.
I'm gonna spend the day with my 4 year old daughter on Thursday. She caught the fishing bug. Her first day she is casting 40 feet out there. Problem was no fish in the pond. I want her to catch a fish worse than she does.
All the bait tactics mentioned above will definately be used, but where in the heck do I use them?

Where is a good pond for kids to catch some fish? I was thinking McLean, but I don't want to drive out and find out it has been fished out already.
Somewhere fairly close to Calgary.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Hoochie Papa, while I haven't fished Mclean Pond for a few years, from my experience it doesn't usually fish out. I've had good luck out there in the past using the smallest sized Len Thompson spoon in orange and white color. Dry flies also work very well, as do nymphs.

Bragg Creek isn't far, so if fishing isn't good, at least you could bring your daughter in for an ice cream.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Hoochie Papa

Sounds like a heck of a plan. Thanks Scott.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_k View Post
ok thanks
its just in small ponds
i was getting a little p/oed when on friday i was at cardiff and there was fish jumping everywhere i turned my head but none of them would bite
In cardiff on saturday I caught fish on my fly rod but my dad caught them on 1/24 ounce spoons
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

x2 on the orange and white len thompson. I like the second smallest size as I seem to catch the same number of fish and its easyer to cast. Small flatfish work realy well, and a firetiger patern meps "Aglia" has been working realy well for me lately.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM

ok so i was out at cardiff again yesterday
all i caught was 2 perch on a panther and my gf didnt catch anything on a small spoon, a smaller panther, and just a plain hook with pink powerbait
however the guy not to far down from us was catching trout left right and center

also just curious, can anyone explain how to use flys for spin casting? pics or anything?
i have an adjust a bubble but no idea how to rig it up
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM

update
was out at cardiff tonight again
tried the panther...nothing
tried some flies with the bobber, bunch of bites, but that was it, none of them actually hooked on
but i didnt see anyone else catch any either so i dont know what was going on
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

With a fly on a bobber I find my hooking percentage go's way up if I use a wet fly and retrieve it at a crawl. Even moving very slowly an unweighted fly or worm will be within inches of the surface and will often catch trout when even when they are feeding on the top. Because my line is tight and straight I have an easyer time hooking them.

PS Hoochie Papa drive that little girl as far as it takes for her to catch a fish and quick! You've got a future fishing partner at stake!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Small panther martins with the fly tied around the hook work good
Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Try the smallest Len Thompson you can find in orange with black spots. When you cast it out, give it a couple of seconds to sink before reeling it in. works for me in our stocked trout lakes.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 AM

ok finally had some luck
tried a wolly bugger with a bobber a few days ago, second cast out was already getting hits, 5th cast hooked a small rainbow
i get lots of hits now using that and have caught a couple rainbow
i finally found what works

Tags
trout hooks