Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-15-2024, 10:26 AM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Stray dogs harassing wildlife should be shot. Iíd have another big whitetail hanging on the wall had I followed my own advice.
"SSS" comes to mind......
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM
waldedw's Avatar
waldedw waldedw is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lloydminster
Posts: 4,630
Default

I know what I would do...........and it would already be done......... but nobody else would know...........
__________________
The problem we have today is that the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 6,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
"SSS" comes to mind......

Cat
Like

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-15-2024, 01:34 PM
bezzola's Avatar
bezzola bezzola is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,868
Default

This whole conversation and you picked up on the baiting.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-15-2024, 01:43 PM
heymshooter heymshooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 70
Default range law

A lot of the province is under range law which makes the owner keep his animals on his property.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Bigfeet Bigfeet is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 439
Default

The OP might be from Sask?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-15-2024, 04:58 PM
edmsmith edmsmith is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
This whole conversation and you picked up on the baiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
The OP might be from Sask?
Surprised it was glossed over by most.. You'd assume on an alberta forum they'd be from Alberta if asking about legalities of shooting someone's dog that's chasing animals off his bait pile.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-15-2024, 06:16 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 38,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Surprised it was glossed over by most.. You'd assume on an alberta forum they'd be from Alberta if asking about legalities of shooting someone's dog that's chasing animals off his bait pile.
People are baiting bears right now, that was my take on it anyway.....
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-15-2024, 06:24 PM
Who Da Fisherman's Avatar
Who Da Fisherman Who Da Fisherman is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Surprised it was glossed over by most.. You'd assume on an alberta forum they'd be from Alberta if asking about legalities of shooting someone's dog that's chasing animals off his bait pile.
I read it right away
ďI do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the wintersĒ
I figured out just from this what he meant, peeps on here assume that all are up to no good right away. If he was I am sure he would have just smoked the mutt on day one.
My thoughts, that dog would be roaming in heavenÖ.
WDF
__________________
Fuel up, go for a drive, ask permission.....If you are scared, take your mom with you
Huntinstuff
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-15-2024, 06:40 PM
Rio56 Rio56 is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,805
Default

Dogs out of control need to be put in place . Or the owner face charges . This "ohhh" it's my pet as gone far enuf . In this case I would shoot and let the owner spend the money on legal losses ..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-15-2024, 07:23 PM
roper1 roper1 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wheatland County
Posts: 5,684
Default

Dog behavior since we domesticated them??? More than one dog is a pack. Owner doesn't know better..............SSS
__________________
If you're not a Liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not a Conservative when you're old, you have no brain. Winston Churchill

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-15-2024, 09:12 PM
walking buffalo's Avatar
walking buffalo walking buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,263
Default

mackenzie280

Are you in Alberta or somewhere else?

The laws dealing with wildlife harassing domestic dogs are different in each province, so it is important to know if you want legal advice.
__________________
Alberta Fish and Wildlife Outdoor Recreation Policy -

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-17-2024, 09:53 AM
mackenzie280 mackenzie280 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
mackenzie280

Are you in Alberta or somewhere else?

The laws dealing with wildlife harassing domestic dogs are different in each province, so it is important to know if you want legal advice.
My property is in Sask. But spend 90% of my time in Alberta. I was only looking for opinion on disposing of the dogs. The law only seems to side more with the people breaking it than with people who respect the law. There are many cases and references where criminals breaking the law seem to get the upper hand. And the victims have to prove themselves. As far as the bait I was referring to my bear bait and my food plot ( I call it a bait and there is no law in that), nothing wrong with giving wildlife a helping hand.
From reading all the replies, I was thinking the same as most of the responders here. But being I like dogs I was second guessing myself in my actions as why I went to see the owner, and asked for the opinions on here.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-17-2024, 10:22 AM
walking buffalo's Avatar
walking buffalo walking buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,263
Default

My understanding of the Sask Law (confirm it yourself)..


Maybe your neighbor will pay greater attention to your request if you showed him pictures of his dogs chasing wildlife and a copy of the regulations.




From the Sask. Wildlife Regulations
https://www.canlii.org/en/sk/laws/re...ghtEdited=true

19(1) Subject to subsection (2.1), no person shall use a dog for hunting big game or wild boar or permit a dog accustomed to pursuing big game or wild boar to run at large in a locality where big game is usually found.

(2) Any dog found chasing big game may be killed by any person without incurring any liability
__________________
Alberta Fish and Wildlife Outdoor Recreation Policy -

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-17-2024, 11:52 AM
fishnguy fishnguy is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,839
Default

Walking Buffalo with a bang. Haha. It looks like it is pretty straight forward. One has to love the wording in those regs too - couldnít be more clear.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff
.......
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-17-2024, 05:58 PM
urban rednek's Avatar
urban rednek urban rednek is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie280 View Post
My issue is the sheep farmers have two huge dogs, for flock protection I am told. I run trail cameras year round have have numerous pictures of these two dogs at my baits and chasing animals.

The local F&W officers seem not interested in getting involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
From the Sask. Wildlife Regulations

19(1) Subject to subsection (2.1), no person shall use a dog for hunting big game or wild boar or permit a dog accustomed to pursuing big game or wild boar to run at large in a locality where big game is usually found.

(2) Any dog found chasing big game may be killed by any person without incurring any liability
The law looks pretty clear on this situation. It makes me wonder why the local F&W officers were unable, or unwilling, to offer any advice. They could have easily cleared up any confusion for both the OP, and the dog owner.

Once upon a time, uniformed professionals were expected to know the laws they were paid to enforce.
__________________
ďOne of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.Ē - Thomas Sowell

ďWe seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.Ē- Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-17-2024, 10:33 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie280 View Post
My property is in Sask. But spend 90% of my time in Alberta. I was only looking for opinion on disposing of the dogs. The law only seems to side more with the people breaking it than with people who respect the law. There are many cases and references where criminals breaking the law seem to get the upper hand. And the victims have to prove themselves. As far as the bait I was referring to my bear bait and my food plot ( I call it a bait and there is no law in that), nothing wrong with giving wildlife a helping hand.
From reading all the replies, I was thinking the same as most of the responders here. But being I like dogs I was second guessing myself in my actions as why I went to see the owner, and asked for the opinions on here.
i guess it begs the question which province do you reside in?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-18-2024, 12:27 AM
fishnguy fishnguy is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,839
Default

I always find interesting how people think. Here is what my train of thought was when I read the original post and since.

The first sentence was finished with wolves and coyotes and the next sentence talked about bait and doing what the guy can to help the animals through the winter -> my thought was he has a bait set up and shooting wolves and coyotes to help the ungulates through the winter on his land. But then there are some dogs running wild chasing wildlife on his land, the dogs that are supposed to protect the sheep on the adjacent land -> with the wolves and coyotes around, roaming dogs arenít much of protection, but that isnít my business -> he addressed the issue with the owner who isnít concerned, so the dogs are fair game and should be dealt with accordingly (I didnít comment since there were already enough comments on the subject).

Then the bait and legality issue was brought up -> weird that this is what people read from the opís post, but ok -> the opís land is where baiting ungulates is legal and he has food plot -> Dale comes with a slam dunk (often does) answering the opís original question -> great success.

Now we have guys (that I respect as far as online community goes, fyi, just like most people here) inquiring about the opís residency situation -> why do we care? -> the op has been a member since 2007 and has a whooping 56 posts and will likely slow back down again on the rate that he had been posting with. Laughing here.

That is all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff
.......
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-18-2024, 07:05 AM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 45,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
My understanding of the Sask Law (confirm it yourself)..


Maybe your neighbor will pay greater attention to your request if you showed him pictures of his dogs chasing wildlife and a copy of the regulations.


From the Sask. Wildlife Regulations
[url]https://www.canlii.org/en/sk/laws/regu/rrs-c-w-13.1-reg-1/latest/rrs-c-w-13.1-reg-1.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAEZG9ncwAAAAAB&offset=0 &highlightEdited=true[/ur

19(1) Subject to subsection (2.1), no person shall use a dog for hunting big game or wild boar or permit a dog accustomed to pursuing big game or wild boar to run at
large in a locality where big game is usually found.

(2) Any dog found chasing big game may be killed by any person without incurring any liability
That makes the solution very simple, take video of the dogs chasing big game, send a copy to the owner, along with a copy of the regulations , and if you observe the dogs chasing big game again, take action that complies with the regulations.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Ackleyman Ackleyman is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Strathmore
Posts: 1,419
Default

The guy has pizz poor stock guardians if they are roaming a mile away. Useless and causing you problems on YOUR land. Bang , end of story.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-18-2024, 09:45 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I always find interesting how people think. Here is what my train of thought was when I read the original post and since.

The first sentence was finished with wolves and coyotes and the next sentence talked about bait and doing what the guy can to help the animals through the winter -> my thought was he has a bait set up and shooting wolves and coyotes to help the ungulates through the winter on his land. But then there are some dogs running wild chasing wildlife on his land, the dogs that are supposed to protect the sheep on the adjacent land -> with the wolves and coyotes around, roaming dogs arenít much of protection, but that isnít my business -> he addressed the issue with the owner who isnít concerned, so the dogs are fair game and should be dealt with accordingly (I didnít comment since there were already enough comments on the subject).

Then the bait and legality issue was brought up -> weird that this is what people read from the opís post, but ok -> the opís land is where baiting ungulates is legal and he has food plot -> Dale comes with a slam dunk (often does) answering the opís original question -> great success.

Now we have guys (that I respect as far as online community goes, fyi, just like most people here) inquiring about the opís residency situation -> why do we care? -> the op has been a member since 2007 and has a whooping 56 posts and will likely slow back down again on the rate that he had been posting with. Laughing here.

That is all.

Very good summation but you missed the part about the OP spending 90% of his time in Alberta yet has "hunting land" in Sask.

I agree with you, Coming onto a public forum and suggesting that he "might" be skirting the law is indeed Funny. I know people who live in Alberta yet still own family farms in Sask. they can't hunt on their own land even though its been in their family for 3 generations.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-18-2024, 11:12 AM
ghfalls ghfalls is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 860
Default

Get some foothold traps in front of a cell phone camera. Once you catch them, go release them 23 hours later, and I bet they donít come back.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-18-2024, 06:10 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,786
Default

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
The guy has pizz poor stock guardians if they are roaming a mile away. Useless and causing you problems on YOUR land. Bang , end of story.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-19-2024, 11:34 AM
edmsmith edmsmith is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Get some foothold traps in front of a cell phone camera. Once you catch them, go release them 23 hours later, and I bet they donít come back.
I was asking f&w this week about using traps to protect some of my live stock. You'd be amazed at how few answers they want to provide.

They'd tell me I can't trap certain species but couldn't tell me which ones I could. They went as far as to tell me certain traps couldn't be used but couldn't provide a list of which ones were good.

They wanted me to apply for permits and went on to say permits won't be granted for many animals I wanted to set traps for.

Main concern I have is protecting my livestock but what if i caught a neighbors animal in my "traps". Some of the traps I have are leg traps.

They were extremely useless in getting answers for what I can and can't do. But catching a neighbors dog in a leg trap and providing video evidence in alberta seems like a bad idea based off my recent chats with f&w.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-19-2024, 02:39 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 5,006
Default

Many farmers will tell you to ...shoot...shovel...and shut up !
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-19-2024, 03:43 PM
cacty cacty is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Forgotten Corner
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Very good summation but you missed the part about the OP spending 90% of his time in Alberta yet has "hunting land" in Sask.

I agree with you, Coming onto a public forum and suggesting that he "might" be skirting the law is indeed Funny. I know people who live in Alberta yet still own family farms in Sask. they can't hunt on their own land even though its been in their family for 3 generations.
Fact. I own land(sizeable amount) and pay taxes in Saskatchewan and my family homesteaded there in 1908. I live inside the Alberta border and since the new draw regulations came out I have not been able to draw a tag to simply harvest 1 deer on my own land for near 15 years now. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.