Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 AM

Default extra antlers?

Hello everyone,
I am a 4th year college student at the Alberta college of art and design, I am trying to make a sculpture and am looking for some antlers. If anyone has any available to sell (pretty cheap mind you, I am an artist and a student aka. Poorest of poor Haha.) Or just some that you wouldn't mind parting with let me know? Deer, elk, whatever. If you got it ill take it. I live in Calgary Alberta.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 AM

It's 4am and I've finally stopped carving for the night. Nice to see this thread.

Amandadawn,

I have a "few" antlers laying around here in Calgary that may work for your sculpture. I never have "extra" antlers, but I am willing to share what I have. There will be a fee.

First you have to post up the concept, inspiration, style and foreshadowed meaning of the artwork.

Second, you must promise to post up a picture of the sculpture here when it is complete.

Deal?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:50 AM

I"ve got some extras for you if want, at no fee seeing your a student and hopefully you post a pic up when your done
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM

I live in Lacombe, I have lots of extras if you want to drive up and get them.
All are free
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Awesome! If anyone has antlers in the Calgary area that are free please send me a private message with your information, I need them as soon as possible so the quicker thebetter.

So the Idea bhind the work is to illustrate ritual and repitition. So I am showing the ritual of hunting throuhout my family history, and how it has sustained our family not only through trapping, but also through the hunting of deer for food. (I was born in fort nelson bc) the repitition is going to be shown through the casting of the antlers into plaster multiple times, and then interconnected to form a giant orb.
I should state ahead of time I am a contemporary, conceptual artist. This work is work is not critisizing nor supporting hunting. I see this work as a critical part of my families history and function within the world

Last edited by amandadawn; 01-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM

I see your purchase price offer has dropped.

The project sounds good. I am happy to help by providing the antlers you need. Art is always open for individual interpretation. I wonder why you made this comment, especially considering your family background.
"This work is work is not critisizing nor supporting hunting."

Great to see some others jump in to help a student and the arts.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Not sure if you have secured some antlers yet or not. I live just outside of Lacombe and you could have some for free(deer, moose, elk) only if YOU support hunting. Not sure what your comment regarding your work not criticizing or supporting hunting means exactly. I would feel better supporting someone who supports what I love to do(hunting). Good luck with your project.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:54 PM

I think you are supporting hunting, and thats not a bad thing, never be afraid to admit it. Please post some pictures of your project when it is completed. If you find you need more antlers, I have some whitetail sheds you can have, im in Edmonton though. Good luck with the project.

Tags
antler, deer, elk, free