Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Has anyone used A Tikka before ? looking for feedback

Hey this is a new brand for me I'm looking at getting a Tikka T3 Varmit in a .308, but just looking for feedback from sombody who has used a Tikka before. I've heard they are a brother company to weatherby and I've heard nothing but good about weatherby they are just a little out of my price range. So yah anybody with feedback let me know
Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 AM
sheephunter

They are not part of the Weatherby family but rather the Stoeger family which includes Sako. Tikka are good solid rifles.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Sister company to Sako, not weatherby. It seems people love them or hate them. Nobody denies they shoot - they do. But they have many plastic parts, and to some thats just wrong. Others have no complaints about the plastic components, and enjoy an accurate rifle at a decent price.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 AM

I have the Lite model in 270 WSM and I really like the rifle. You rarely hear any Tikka owners complaining about how accurate their rifle is, they are almost always shooters. Sure, they use a few methods and materials to keep cost down. A 308 would normally be a short action, but all T-3s use long actions, with a bolt stop for the "short" cartridges. The "plastic" magazine is actually very durable, and I would say that it is probably more durable than the average metal magazine. The magazines are over-priced if you want a spare or lose it though.

Another nice thing about these rifles it the trigger, it is good from the box and easily adjustable. My opinion of these rifles is that they are good, accurate out of the box shooters at a reasonable price (although the price has gone up recently!). If you like how they look and feel, it will be a good purchase for you.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM

I have a Tikka T3 .300 mag with wooden stock and it is by far one of the best rifles i have ever owned..
The action is smooth and it shoots excellent!!!
The composite magazine is expensive too replace or if you want a spare but otherwise i doubt you would be disappointed with a Tikka.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback, anybody know of a store in the edmonton area that would maybe have them in stock that I could go and handle?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM

P&D has several T-3s listed on their site.Be glad that Tikka and Weatherby are not associated,as Tikka rifles are expected to shoot MOA groups at 100 yards by Tikka,while Weatherby charges a sunstantial premium to guarantee MOA Vanguards.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomondk View Post
Thanks for the feedback, anybody know of a store in the edmonton area that would maybe have them in stock that I could go and handle?

P & D Enterprises has a number of Tikkas listed on their website:

http://www.p-d-ent.com/cms/
Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up

Yes P&D will always have stock along with others I would expect WS as well.

Great Bang for your Buck very nice rifle
Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM

I have owned a number of rifles over the years and after buying and shooting the Tikka line origionally for the wife. I have been switching all of my rifles over to Tikka. the wife and I curently own a 223, 308 and 6.5x55 all Tikka. They are all great shooters and to us they sholder and hanle very confortably.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 PM

i love how tikka guys get choked about the "plastic" toy parts on their rifle.
but i do admit they are very accurate. i owned a tikka stainless laminate in 300wm and it was a great shooting gun. i just couldnt get over the plastic and sold her. too bad. shoulda bought a sako i guess?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 AM

Default Tikka...Love em

I currently own 2 of em. Originally bought a 270 T3 for the wife, but she went & got pregnant that season, so I used it & was very happy...so happy in fact, that after the child was born I ordered a fancy T3 Stainless in 270 WSM w/ laminated grey stock and threw on a nice Leopold scope in Gun Metal Grey color for myself...In 2 words, awesome rifle!. Now the old lady shoots her's often at the range and can group 1/4" at 100 yds. She even smoked a mangy coyote in our back yard at 100 yds +/- last week with it. Damn her...she gets the first kill from the deck LOL.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM

I got 3 of them and love them all the same. Great shooting rifle out of the box. IMO you will not go wrong with a Tikka
G
Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 AM

I've got one in a Left Hand version chambered for 7mm-08.

I actually added about 1/2 pound of weight to the rifle as allup in Leupold rings and bases with a fixed 12x Leupy it tipped the scales at 7.5lbs.

I did'nt want too light of a rifle to play silhouette with, 8lbs just hangs right for me.

As for accuracy, well it's top drawer. I've managed solid 1" groups at 200 yds with this rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 PM

I have a Tikka in .270 WSM. Like everyone says, they are very accurate but there are a couple of features I don't like. I don't like the plastic clip....it's very cheaply made, but if you want to buy an extra they are pricey ($60 and up). I also don't like the safety.... I've always been big on a 3 way safety (like the Winchester Model 70). I don't like having to have the gun in the fire position to remove a live round from the chamber. With a 3 way safety you can remove a live round with the safety on.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 PM

I've never trusted mechanical safetys since my old remington discharged when i clicked the safety off. Now i just pull the trigger as I am chambering a round and that way i have a live round in the chamber that cannot go off as the firing pin is already released.
A quick upwards nudge with the thumb and down again and it's ready too fire.
An old guy showed me that out in the bush and I have called it the old man saftey ever since.
As for the plastic clip in the tikka I'm not fond of it either BUT, I have run over my spare high capacity clip with my quad on dry hard ground and it was not harmed so they are tougher than they look.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
Now i just pull the trigger as I am chambering a round and that way i have a live round in the chamber that cannot go off as the firing pin is already released.
That might not be as safe as you think and possibly very dangerous. you realise with a shell in the chamber the firing pin is protruding out through the boltface and resting with a lot of pressure pushing directly on the primer. A good hard knock to the bolt handle or bolt shroud should you drop the gun or accidently smack it into something can easily cause the gun to fire.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That might not be as safe as you think and possibly very dangerous. you realise with a shell in the chamber the firing pin is protruding out through the boltface and resting with a lot of pressure pushing directly on the primer. A good hard knock to the bolt handle or bolt shroud should you drop the gun or accidently smack it into something can easily cause the gun to fire.
not trying to stir the pot or hijack the thread, but
i would have to call b.s. on the firing pin theory bushrat.
i just checked, (after already knowing) the bolts on a browning, 2 rems-788 and 700, savage, and parker hale, none of the firing pins protrude with an uncocked bolt.
i have been carrying my huntin rigs the same way for 25 years, never had an incedent with a 'safe gun'.
lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM

I was skeptical about the "plastic gun & clip" but I finally choked and swalled the fact and bought one in .223.I would have to say by buying this gun my increase in coyote success this past winter had a lot to do with that gun.I love the gun,I think they are worth every penny.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i just checked, (after already knowing) the bolts on a browning, 2 rems-788 and 700, savage, and parker hale, none of the firing pins protrude with an uncocked bolt.
i have been carrying my huntin rigs the same way for 25 years, never had an incedent with a 'safe gun'.
lee.
I assume your looking at the bolt removed from the rifle. When a bolt is removed from the rifle they are in a cocked position. If you turn the shroud to the fired position as it would be in the rifle when you have pressed the trigger and closed the bolt you are letting the firing pin down to the fired and uncocked position with firing pin tip poked out through the hole in the bolt face resting directly on the primer, with a shell in the chamber the pin tip is forced back against all that firing pin tension to be flush with the bolt face by the primer cup. Check it out and think about it. Try pushing the pin back with your finger, or even better use a live primer to push it flush with the boltface, bet you don't dare, I wouldn't and you will understand how much pressure the pin exerts on the primer in the uncocked position. Very dangerous.

Rem 700 bolt in the uncocked position with firing pin protrusion and held there by the tension of the firing pin spring in the uncocked position..

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bushrat; 06-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
lee.
As soon as you "uncock, decock, whatever, the firing pin HAS to protrude.
Take you Parker hale , rem 700 , savage or other cock on opening bolt out of it's action, and it is in th cocked position.
When you twist the tail piece the firing pin will protrude out.
THAT is the uncocked position.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-18-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM

Default tasty crow

hey guys, ' I STAND CORRECTED'. checked the bolts like you said, and you were correct about the firing pin protrusion.
apparently, doing something for a long time doesn't always make it right! i have had a couple noticeably nasty falls over the years, where my gun did take a good smack, recoil pad to the ground as it tried to stop my fall, and luckily never had a discharge.
thanks for the correction and the benefit of your experience guys, good info for everyone to know.
please pass the ketchup for my crow, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
i love how tikka guys get choked about the "plastic" toy parts on their rifle.
but i do admit they are very accurate. i owned a tikka stainless laminate in 300wm and it was a great shooting gun. i just couldnt get over the plastic and sold her. too bad. shoulda bought a sako i guess?
You can take the polymer magazine from a Tikka, and run over it with a truck and it will still funtion fine. I doubt any of the metal clips from other manufacturers would fair as well. Plastic is light, durable, and cheap, and unlike metal it won't rust. It functions fine for it's use. I have several Tikka's and the shoot and function great.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
hey guys, ' I STAND CORRECTED'. checked the bolts like you said, and you were correct about the firing pin protrusion.
apparently, doing something for a long time doesn't always make it right! i have had a couple noticeably nasty falls over the years, where my gun did take a good smack, recoil pad to the ground as it tried to stop my fall, and luckily never had a discharge.
thanks for the correction and the benefit of your experience guys, good info for everyone to know.
Hey, no sweat !
I'm just glad things worked out this way instead of "KABOOM"
I'm sure bushrat feels the same....
Cat
Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Well now i am wondering as I really do not trust mechanical safetys and now i am questioning the released firing pin method???
Is there any pressure on the firing pin when it is released???
I am no gunsmith so thats why i am asking?
If there is no pressure on the actual firing pin is there really any danger ???
Again I am just asking??
Old 06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default Tikas suck!

It can definatly set off the cartridge if bumped hard enough, thats the reason for the half-cocked position on lever action guns. I've hunted with lots of guys who use your method though and have never seen it happen. Just dont point that thing at me! Get a ruger, when the safety is the 3rd position there is no way that gun is going off. Their better and cheaper than tikas as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Get a ruger, when the safety is the 3rd position there is no way that gun is going off. Their better and cheaper than tikas as well.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea about the quality of Tikka versus Ruger this is why I asked the question,and the saftey mechanism is a really good point. One thing for sure, I'm looking at the T3 varmit rifle and the comparable ruger varmit rifle and cheaper is one thing ruger is not!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
You can take the polymer magazine from a Tikka, and run over it with a truck and it will still funtion fine. I doubt any of the metal clips from other manufacturers would fair as well. Plastic is light, durable, and cheap, and unlike metal it won't rust. It functions fine for it's use. I have several Tikka's and the shoot and function great.

so the tikka being a lower end model of a sako , and a sako doesnt have any plastic pieces , then i guess what you would be saying is that the sako would have inferior parts to the tikka because they're made of metal?......not in this life time.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
sheephunter

Lots of plastic parts on the A7.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Wow I learned something today, I've done this exact thing for years thinking that it was safer than the safety. thanks