Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Puerto Vallata suggestions

I'll be in Puerto Vallarta with a buddy and the wives - and would like to try some big-game fishing while there. I've heard some good things about 'Masterbaiters' charter fishing - any other suggestions?

We'll be there in mid-to-late January.

Also - should I bring a saltwater flyrod to fish from the beach?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Hey thunmper I just read an arcticle in outdoor canada magazine about a charter captain out of Puerto Vallarta suppose to be one of the best in the area. He's Canadian born from Tofino BC. grew up in a comercial fishing family. Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM

forgot contact information

Josh temple's guiding outfit www.primetimeadv.com
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Default masterbaiters sucks

ive been to pv 2 times now and went to master baiters both times but did not use there service. we were there in may this year so i thought we would book a trip through them.[prior to our vacation i was in contact with them via email] we got to there office downtown right across the street from mcdonalds, i went in thinking we would be happy to go but that wasnt the case. they didnt know me from prior emails, and when we started talking boats and prices, all the gringo did was open a cheesy book with pics and scribled down prices. what set me off was they took white out and pasted it on the back of each boat pic so you couldnt read the boats name. obviously they just take a percentage and send you on your way. so my point here is, i pay masterbaiters such amount for a picture of a boat i think isnt a peice of crap and when i get to the marina do i get the boat i payed for? maybe, most likely not. my suggetion to you is go to the marina walk around look at some boats talk to the owners of the boats, settle on price gets some cevazas and go fishing. make sure you make the deal with owner of the boat. dont worry there are lots of good ones and great crews that will take you. hope this helps . cub
Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM

I went about 6yrs ago with Best Sport Fishing Boats (Caballo de Mar a 38' boat) The first trip out we went after sailfish but caught nothing. I decided to give it another whirl, a couple of days later, for smaller fish. They were telling us that the full moon had turned the sailfish on. We hummed and hawed for 15 minutes wether or not to try. And with a flip of a coin, we were off. Oh yeah, its about an hour boat ride out. But they were right, 2 sailfish and 1 maui-maui. Great trip but you always wonder... are they just taking you out on a boat ride??? If they are still in business I give them a thumbs up!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

Thanks for the heads up on Master Baiters - and I checked out that Prime Time web-site. Pretty hardcore fishing fanatics.

Couldn't find any listing for Best Boats - but I'll look whe I'm down there.

The fishing forecast isn't great for mid-January, but we'll give it a shot - thanks again
Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Hey Thumper, I was down in Vallarta in Oct, booked a boat through masterbaiters. Like cub said they are just a booking agency, we did go out on the boat they booked for us and had a good day fishing. Had problems with the boat on the way back though.
We caught 4 Dorado, one my buddy caught was huge. Close to 60lbs, also had a Marlin on but he broke off. The next day we went down and toured around the Marina. Found and outfit called Jackpot charters. We booked directly with them, it still cost us about the same but a way nicer boat. They have 2, 32' Luhrs and 2, 38' Luhrs all 2006. Their office is right down by the lighthouse in the Marina. We ended up catching 1 Blue Marlin, lost another 1 and 5 Dorado that day.
http://http://i209.photobucket.com/a...g/DSC_0176.jpg
http://http://i209.photobucket.com/a...g/DSC_0075.jpg
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Defintately bring the rod to fish off the beach. I didn't, and regretted it! Two people we were talking to had fished on the beach every day they were there and caught all kinds of stuff. Not sure what, but the fishin is good off the beach! Just make sure you can get your margarita on the ground in time to set the hook!

Moults
Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Good reference Rigg Dogg - I'll look up Jackpot Charters

And thanks Moults - I'll bring the 9 weight flyrod to fool around with on the beach. Hope I don't hook any bikini tops on the backcast.

aw
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Mexico

Google "fly fishing in Mexico."

There is an excellent article on the subject by a fly fisherman in PV but I don't have time to look for it as I am on my way out the door.