Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 AM

Question Edmonton NSR

Hello. First post.
Me and my buddy want to try fishing on the NSR.

Just wondering if there are any good spots any of you guys would recommend and how great fishing in the river is around this time.

Also i only have experience on lakes so i have no idea what the best way to fish the river. I don't own a boat so i would be fishing from shore.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You should be able to catch fish almost anywhere along the shore line, so far every spot I've wet a line I have caught something. Hermitage park is easily accessed and has some good fishing. I have only used sturgeon rigs in the river and have caught every species except pike so far. Jumbo dew worms or big nightcrawlers seem to be the "go to" bait.
You might have decent luck casting from shore as well if you can find a nice deep spot, the water is starting to finally clear up so the fish might actually be able to see a lure rather than having to go off just scent alone. I've heard "rattlin raps" are good for the river because of the extra attraction from the beads inside.

I am still new to the NSR myself and I'm sure other people on here can help you a lot more than I can. Patience is the name of the game when river fishing with a sturgeon rig. Just cast, sit and wait for a tug.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:46 AM

Forgot to mention, a heavy rod and good sized quality reel along with braided line is key IMO. You never know when a big sturgeon might snap up your bait so having the proper gear is very important. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Lots of guys fish Hermitage and Whitemud Parks. Easy access to the river.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

pm sent
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhcjuan View Post
Hello. First post.

Just wondering if there are any good spots any of you guys would recommend and how great fishing in the river is around this time.

Also i only have experience on lakes so i have no idea what the best way to fish the river. I don't own a boat so i would be fishing from shore.
I would use dew worms and a pickerel rig or a sturgeon rig (carolina rig) to catch quite a few species. I'm hosting a garage sale July 19-20 and we'll be discounting hundreds of packaged pickerel rigs and weights of various sizes.

Try Hermitage and Goldbar outflows as well as Emily Murphy and Strathcona Science Parks for good fishing. Whitemud Creek too.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Go to page 2 of this brochure for a map. If you right click on the map you can rotate the map to read easier. It shows quite a few spots to fish.

http://www.edmonton.ca/activities_pa...Recreation.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Wow thanks for all the quick replies you guys are great. I will definitely try to go out this week and give you guys some report.

Oh and i only have a 15lb rod with 8lb mono. I guess ill just hope for walleyes and no big sturgeons.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhcjuan View Post
Hello. First post.

Any back eddy, outlets or bottom side of an island, use worms or minnows off bottom or use a small black jig in the slower moving back eddys on bottom jigging slowly and you should slay them, enjoy

Tags
fishing, north saskatchewan river, nsr, shore