Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2023, 09:49 PM

Default Scammers can now use AI to copy voice of people you know… so don’t interact on the phone with fraudsters anymore

Apparently more and more cases are popping up of fraudsters using voices of family members to ask for money etc.

Be warned.

I guess families should enact a code word or phrase to use in an emergency.

Wasn’t thinking of that as a problem until now.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2023, 12:45 AM

Default I don’t give family money.

That’s alright I always speak to them in Punjabi or Bengali even though I have no clue how to speak either
Old 08-02-2023, 02:46 AM

I used to always mess with the scammers taking as much of their time as I could before they would end up telling ME off and hanging up on me.

That was a long time ago, it's a different world out there now.

Now often the scam is they just need you to say yes or no, or push #1 or #2, cant recall that specific scam but that's all it was, they just needed a simple yes or no or a 1 or 2 out of you, they would ask something simple if this was your name and they would rap it off, you answer yes and wala, they got you. It's THAT easy to get scammed these days, it's almost scary.

Stay vigilant, keep your situational awareness at 100% and dont play with phone scammers, one click of a number pad or one yes or no reply is all it takes. As soon as you know it's a scam just hang up quick and say nothing and push no buttons or numbers.

Or better yet just don't answer unknown calls, ESPECIALLY ones with funny number combinations or numbers with odd and or extra long lumbers. If it's important they will leave a message or call me back. I'm in nooo hurry to answer strange numbers..
Old 08-02-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I used to always mess with the scammers taking as much of their time as I could before they would end up telling ME off and hanging up on me.

That was a long time ago, it's a different world out there now.

Now often the scam is they just need you to say yes or no, or push #1 or #2, cant recall that specific scam but that's all it was, they just needed a simple yes or no or a 1 or 2 out of you, they would ask something simple if this was your name and they would rap it off, you answer yes and wala, they got you. It's THAT easy to get scammed these days, it's almost scary.

Stay vigilant, keep your situational awareness at 100% and dont play with phone scammers, one click of a number pad or one yes or no reply is all it takes. As soon as you know it's a scam just hang up quick and say nothing and push no buttons or numbers.

Or better yet just don't answer unknown calls, ESPECIALLY ones with funny number combinations or numbers with odd and or extra long lumbers. If it's important they will leave a message or call me back. I'm in nooo hurry to answer strange numbers..
Totally. Don’t answer numbers from Florida or Delaware or Nova Scotia… so many fake numbers.

Almost to the point now if someone calls and doesn’t leave a message I’ll start blocking.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-02-2023, 09:01 AM

There has been an amazon package waiting at the border for me for years now....
Old 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Almost to the point now if someone calls and doesn’t leave a message I’ll start blocking.
Yup, that's for sure - if I don't recognize the number, I'm not picking up. Those that care will leave a voice mail.

That being said, I wonder if we need to pay closer attention to our voice mail announcements - Typically there's lots of potential fruit for scammers to pick from in those messages.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
There has been an amazon package waiting at the border for me for years now....
I've lost count of how many $1,500 gift cards I've purchased.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Totally. Don’t answer numbers from Florida or Delaware or Nova Scotia… so many fake numbers.

They can use local numbers. In fact most scammers appear to be calling from somewhere close.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 08-02-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:09 AM

Yup they use a number that looks like a number from your City or Town, now I don't answer any numbers I don't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
They can use local numbers. In fact most scammers appear to be calling from somewhere close.