Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
You can panic and fuss if you want to...is that productive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im not panicking, and as for fussing, not really that either. I will just avoid the stores that record my PAL. I would say its called being vigilant.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The word may is a far cry from must or shall You can verify the PAL if you desire,but you are under no legal obligation to do so.
IIRC & AFAIK,

Under the terms of the legislation abolishing the LGR, the CFP is forbidden from keeping any log of verification requests,
as any log would form a defacto registration of transfers and ownership.

Those who hope to use their request for verification of a PAL's validity as proof of due diligence, have a false expectation of security.

It is also worth noting that a simple change of one word in 23.1 (1) of the Act, from 'may' to 'shall', combined with an authorization for the CFP to keep a log, is all that would be required to establish a new registry.
The only difference an owner would notice from the LGR is they would not need to carry a 'Registration Certificate', but the information would be easily available on CPIC.
Wendy & Heidi would be happy they were one step closer to confiscation.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You can panic and fuss if you want to...is that productive?
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Thomas Jefferson

You can hope somebody else does it, but just don't claim your attitude is virtuous, proper or smart.
I hope you don't vote.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Thomas Jefferson

You can hope somebody else does it, but just don't claim your attitude is virtuous, proper or smart.

I hope you don't vote.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Oh my!! Keep fighting the good fight brother!!

I admire your use of others quotes to emphasize ideas that are not your own! Real original. How about you wait to worry about something that may never happen....because that which you fear the most shall befall you...or something like that...

I hope you complain louder than on this forum when things start to go sideways!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh my!! Keep fighting the good fight brother!!

I admire your use of others quotes to emphasize ideas that are not your own! Real original. How about you wait to worry about something that may never happen....because that which you fear the most shall befall you...or something like that...

I hope you complain louder than on this forum when things start to go sideways!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My concern is their paper registry is not secure and has a bunch of critical personal information, who guarantees the security of the personal information? It can walk out the door easier than any firearm.

LC
I didn't read the whole topic, but my first thought was: the persons with access to this would need to be bonded ?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 AM

I have also found it interesting that people selling firearms and ammunition do not require a PAL.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I have also found it interesting that people selling firearms and ammunition do not require a PAL.
That is even more proof that firearms restrictions have nothing to do with public safety.

You do not need to have a PAL if you are a police officer or in the armed forces.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
You do not need to have a PAL if you are a police officer or in the armed forces.
Only if you use them on duty. If they want firearms in private life, they need a PAL.

Society is turning into an Oliver Twist novel, please sir, can I have some more. We need permission for nearly everything now - rights have become permission. That's where the problem lay.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM

I don't understand the obsession about the PAL# being recorded. Even if there's an informal registry going on you give the store your name, address, phone number, credit card number. If they don't record your PAL I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where to find your firearms and who's got them. I order rifles online and obviously have given out my PAL. I don't have nightmares about waking up in the morning with the RCMP wanting my firearms. If the world starts getting to that point I'll have bigger problems than worrying about gun seizures.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMunKey View Post
I don't understand the obsession about the PAL# being recorded. Even if there's an informal registry going on you give the store your name, address, phone number, credit card number. If they don't record your PAL I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where to find your firearms and who's got them. I order rifles online and obviously have given out my PAL. I don't have nightmares about waking up in the morning with the RCMP wanting my firearms. If the world starts getting to that point I'll have bigger problems than worrying about gun seizures.
Good point. I think people that freak out about the gun registry and the gestapo taking them are often paranoid. If they wanted to they would simply make firearms and ammunition illegal and large consequences to go with both. The purge of weapons for 95% of the population would be voluntary.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMunKey View Post
Don't know where you are buying, but I haven't had to give a store my name/address/phone number to make a purchase. And if you pay with cash, no CC info
Old 12-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Banned

Read up on C-51 folks... It affects all Canadians.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Don't know where you are buying, but I haven't had to give a store my name/address/phone number to make a purchase. And if you pay with cash, no CC info
I buy online, privately and from the big stores. I use Bass pro rewards so they have all my personal info. I use my debit card because I don't carry a grand in my wallet in case I see a rifle I want. But again, I'm not Chicken Little. Of course firearms can be bought without Big Brother knowing. But if the Canadian Gestapo is making a list of potential firearm owners all they need to do is monitor this forum and make a list of IP addresses so they know where every .22 and hunting rifle in Western Canada could be. And then the goon squad will show up and toss your home and arrest your family and send you to the secret detention center in Cold Lake (right beside the hidden Avro Arrow hanger).
Of course the govt is in our business and breaks the rules. Only a fool would think otherwise I am sure not going to lose any sleep or cross the street trying to avoid it. Just by having a PAL the feds know you most likely have a gun so who are we fooling by stockpiling all those Remington and Brownings on the sly?
Maybe youre right and they know about that secret redneck militia I'm starting as soon as the New World Order starts.....
Old 12-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Of course when the long rifle registry comes back courtesy of Turdeau I'll go back to what I was doing before. My brother and I trade rifles every month which cost the Canadian taxpayers dearly. I'd guess about 40 transactions each and every month. Was extremely confusing and burdensome to the Firearms Center. If the registry does come back I'd like to have mass firearm swap meets just to screw with the system.