Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Hey I don't know if you have ever salmon fished before but I have never caught a Spring or coho and said "boy I wish I had braid cause that wasnt fun enough".
I have no experience with braid on downriggers but I would think that it would fray up pretty quick with all the miles put on running through the water especially from the rod tip to the downrigger clip.
I would stick with a 25 or 30 lb high quality mono like a Maxima Ultragreen.
I have caught a ton of salmon. Last year was the first with braid and running my own boat though and we got 3 tyee. No reel with mono would come close to screaming like that. Braid will last 10 x longer than any mono and tons of people use it on both reels and downriggers. Mono is a big elastic band and takes lots of the feel and fight out of fish. Braid makes it more sporty but to each his own. I first used it catching 200 pound tuna and have pretty much switched everything over to it. If there are rookies on the boat I will keep a reel with mono around if they can't figure it out. As far as on riggers every day guides use it and cut mabe a foot or 2 off the end every month or 2 or splice on Tina cord or 200 pound mono. No kinks or frays like wire. Most people don't go back to wire. Only draw back is u can't get the benefits of a black box but you will also never run a hot boat. My new riggers are getting braid before they see the water. I get why guides would stick with mono on the reels since they have lots of green fng's on the rods but I suggest everyone try it before they knock it. A chinook or coho will never fight like a tuna but putting braid on is the closest you can come to it

Last edited by bardfromedson; 03-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM

Busy Day for Fishing near Tofino yesterday with over 12 Salmon to the Boat and 10 released. Nothing too big, but scrappy and tasty 6-12 lb Salmon in March was fine for my guests. After my Charter I slipped out to a close spot for less than an hour with my brother, who caught 10 lbs of Sweet Chinook Salmon for our dinner last night. Tested some new spoons and teaser head combos and the spoons were the ticket, all hits on the bait were short...
Back out in the A.M. and will take other cameras so I can upload better pics. Regular updates are hitting my Twitter and Facebook feeds.
Great finish to a tough month of weather in March, leading to a great start for April. Sun Rain Salmon and Halibut in the forecast...
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 AM

Thinking hard about heading back to Port Hardy again this year. Already booked a slip in the Quarterdeck Marina for June 25-July 7th !!!!!!!
Planning on pulling my 25' Pursuit up, and just can't wait to get it back in water. We did petty good on Hali's last year and hope to nail a few nice ones again this year. I'm expecting to spend more time chasing Springs and exploring some new areas. Hope to run into Dave from Serengeti with his gorgeous Pursuit Express.......Gonna tryout some new equipment bottom fishing, Heavy Action Terez rods and Saragosa 14000 spinners.......should be fun.

IMG_1725 b.jpg

Van Island.jpg

IMG_1771 b.jpg

Last edited by elnino54; 04-01-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
I have caught a ton of salmon. Last year was the first with braid and running my own boat though and we got 3 tyee. No reel with mono would come close to screaming like that. Braid will last 10 x longer than any mono and tons of people use it on both reels and downriggers. Mono is a big elastic band and takes lots of the feel and fight out of fish. Braid makes it more sporty but to each his own. I first used it catching 200 pound tuna and have pretty much switched everything over to it. If there are rookies on the boat I will keep a reel with mono around if they can't figure it out. As far as on riggers every day guides use it and cut mabe a foot or 2 off the end every month or 2 or splice on Tina cord or 200 pound mono. No kinks or frays like wire. Most people don't go back to wire. Only draw back is u can't get the benefits of a black box but you will also never run a hot boat. My new riggers are getting braid before they see the water. I get why guides would stick with mono on the reels since they have lots of green fng's on the rods but I suggest everyone try it before they knock it. A chinook or coho will never fight like a tuna but putting braid on is the closest you can come to it
I run braid on my downriggers and like it. What kind of reels do you use?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
Thinking hard about heading back to Port Hardy again this year. Already booked a slip in the Quarterdeck Marina for June 25-July 7th !!!!!!!
Planning on pulling my 25' Pursuit up, and just can't wait to get it back in water. We did petty good on Hali's last year and hope to nail a few nice ones again this year. I'm expecting to spend more time chasing Springs and exploring some new areas. Hope to run into Dave from Serengeti with his gorgeous Pursuit Express.......Gonna tryout some new equipment bottom fishing, Heavy Action Terez rods and Saragosa 14000 spinners.......should be fun.

Attachment 49717

Attachment 49715

Attachment 49716
Look forward to seeing you up here! Brew or two will be in order
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I run braid on my downriggers and like it. What kind of reels do you use?
gt4000 mooching reels and abu 7000 levelwinds. 50lb braid on both. just picked up some braid for the new downriggers. 200 lb made by cortland. guy i bought it from in everett wa said they have been running it for years. only 25 bucks for 300ft. half price off the power pro or scotty stuff.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
gt4000 mooching reels and abu 7000 levelwinds. 50lb braid on both. just picked up some braid for the new downriggers. 200 lb made by cortland. guy i bought it from in everett wa said they have been running it for years. only 25 bucks for 300ft. half price off the power pro or scotty stuff.
Braid must be crazy on the mooching reels!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
AO Sponsor

On the levelwinds it makes no difference Mike. On the Islanders its nuts...have to have ridiculous reflexes and anticipation to not lose the fish.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
On the levelwinds it makes no difference Mike. On the Islanders its nuts...have to have ridiculous reflexes and anticipation to not lose the fish.
I could only imagine..... No personal interest in going to braid........ If a guy really want to enjoy a spring fight it's got to be with an islander!!! I love my MR3's!!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM
AO Sponsor

We sold our older ones and just bought brand new laser engraved "Serengeti Fishing Charter" ones, mine are the black and gold, and my dads are the pure gold...mine will be absolutely balling!!!

Look how sexy it is

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Those are pretty sweet!!!...Imagine a gold line like a berkley transition would look pretty sweet comming out of it!!
I went with the Blue MR3's and I dont have any ingraving.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM

My son and I are planning a trip, possibly to Rupert in 2014.He has fished the ocean before I have not.I have an 18 ft Alumacraft w/115 h Evinrude E-Tec on it.Just wondering if this craft is sufficient for ocean fishing.Also what are the dangers to look out for ?I do not plan on going out very far,just fish the coves in quiet water,if thats even possable.Thanks for any info.We will be useing Shimano Convergence salmmon rods in med heavey with Abu Garcia C3 level winds.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
My son and I are planning a trip, possibly to Rupert in 2014.He has fished the ocean before I have not.I have an 18 ft Alumacraft w/115 h Evinrude E-Tec on it.Just wondering if this craft is sufficient for ocean fishing.Also what are the dangers to look out for ?I do not plan on going out very far,just fish the coves in quiet water,if thats even possable.Thanks for any info.We will be useing Shimano Convergence salmmon rods in med heavey with Abu Garcia C3 level winds.
Pse
If you don't have ocean experience, I wouldn't recommend it.
As a example, I am looking at a simalar boat just for use in the harbour and on the nicest days heading south of Rupert.
Do you have a radio on it?
What is your experience with bouys and chart reading?

Please dont get me wrong, we would love to see you out in Rupert, but safety first.
Feel free to call if I can be of any help.
403-813-2704
Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM

No ,No radio or much for chart reading,have a gps and depth sounder thats it.I am not really interested in killing myself or anyone else for that matter.I really appreciate the advice.Is there any place you could recommend that would not involve going out in the open ocean, where we could catch a few fish and still do it safely?Thankyou for your advice,I do intend to take it.Wilf
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
No ,No radio or much for chart reading,have a gps and depth sounder thats it.I am not really interested in killing myself or anyone else for that matter.I really appreciate the advice.Is there any place you could recommend that would not involve going out in the open ocean, where we could catch a few fish and still do it safely?Thankyou for your advice,I do intend to take it.Wilf
Get a radio.... You can buy ok handhelds for cheap, everyday every hour check your weather forecasts, gps is a great tool, an iPhone or iPad with the navionics app is nice too or better yet the true gps card.
Charts are whats going to help you find fishing grounds. There are some protected waters up there but I am not familiar with Rupert. Call a marina In Whatever area you intend to visit and get the local chart mailed to you!
Also maybe ask Jamie but I think they run herring up there... Salt your herring!!!
Oh and good rainwear is a must!!

Good luck
Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I'm going to suggest my home port of Port Hardy for you in that smaller boat. You can easily run to Duval or Daphne point (literally 3min from marina, all protected on way to and from fishing grounds). For your son you will get into tons of Pink and Coho and I will set you up with how to fish the area to ensure you catch some nice Chinook as well. There's one way to fish Duval that will outfish every other way and as past people I've helped can attest, it works.

While I am biased, you will most certainly get into plenty of fish at Duval/Daphne, and will have lots of action and nice and close and safe to the marina. Can even stay at Duval Pt Lodge if you wanted (better places to stay but it is literally on Duval Pt, so you'd have to travel 0 distance). I think for your set up this would be a great option.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I ran my 1750 Lund all over around Rupert for 7 summers and never had any problems.

Try to go 2 boats and play it smart.

The farthest run of open water you would have worry about is 13 km from Metlakatla(sp) to the south end of Melville , then you would be in "protected" water and have a choice of where to go . You need gps and digital charts .

As far as Planning West Coast this summer . I' m thinking of opening up the house in May/june , then skipping July, and returning in Aug for the Coho runs . Hopefully leave the boat in Rupert since I dislike pulling my boat around all summer.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM

David makes a good point Hardy is a good place to fish.....It's where I too fish out of. Even on the roughest days Duval Pt is fishable. There are several other good locations within 20 min when its relativly calm. Wild coho cannot be kept but pinks and springs can be kept as well as a mid august opening of sockeye most years.

Nice part about Hardy is it is also close to Coal harbor where you can take quatsino sound out to winter harbour. (20NM) Quatsino sound is typically a nice protected calm ride. I wouldnt suggest you fish out in open water west coast but Kains pt and Cliffe point usually produce chinooks and coho (wild coho can be kept here)

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
I'm going to suggest my home port of Port Hardy for you in that smaller boat. You can easily run to Duval or Daphne point (literally 3min from marina, all protected on way to and from fishing grounds). For your son you will get into tons of Pink and Coho and I will set you up with how to fish the area to ensure you catch some nice Chinook as well. There's one way to fish Duval that will outfish every other way and as past people I've helped can attest, it works.

While I am biased, you will most certainly get into plenty of fish at Duval/Daphne, and will have lots of action and nice and close and safe to the marina. Can even stay at Duval Pt Lodge if you wanted (better places to stay but it is literally on Duval Pt, so you'd have to travel 0 distance). I think for your set up this would be a great option.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks guys for the replys.There is alot more to consider than I expected,fortunately I have 2yrs to plan .This is a trip I would really like to do on my own as I cannot afford the charter thing.Scince I am taking my 5th wheel I can stay as long as I like.Where do you get digital up to date charts?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
AO Sponsor

Can keep wild Coho Mike at Duval...last year it was 1 wild, 1 hatchery even in August...first time in quite a few years...shoulda known that this past year eh

Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Can keep wild Coho Mike at Duval...last year it was 1 wild, 1 hatchery even in August...first time in quite a few years...shoulda known that this past year eh
David,

Not sure if you caught my updated report from April 1st regarding Coho...I was blown away to see over a dozen Coho on my Charter with a few pushing 4 pounds already. Bluebacks on April 1st....and that many.... I'm pumped with how the Coho fishery looks to be unfolding for this season.

J.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Touche!!
I guess I did know that .........Good thing I didn't salmon fish the area lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
David,

Not sure if you caught my updated report from April 1st regarding Coho...I was blown away to see over a dozen Coho on my Charter with a few pushing 4 pounds already. Bluebacks on April 1st....and that many.... I'm pumped with how the Coho fishery looks to be unfolding for this season.

J.
Jay or David did either of you notice the size of coho seemed smaller last year than previous years?......Any clue why this was and do either of you know what to ecpect this year?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Jay or David did either of you notice the size of coho seemed smaller last year than previous years?......Any clue why this was and do either of you know what to ecpect this year?
Mike,

Sorry for the delay,,busy times for me right now..
I did notice smaller Coho than we "anticipated" or would consider the average, especially in the late season. It was very good for numbers, but not absolutely crazy like some of the Chinook days we had.
Regarding Chinook sizes, and delayed run timing, if you look at my recent post regarding our updated Spring Fishing Outlook, it contains this info about Chinook ;

Some other positive aspects to the local Salmon Fishery for 2012 are related to returning 5 year old Chinook salmon to Robertson Creek hatchery in Port Alberni. While Chinook returns to RCH in 2011 were higher than forecasted, the anticipated 4 year old component of the run size was not there. It is speculated that due to high quality ocean conditions, this portion of the run stayed at sea, and could very likely return as larger 5 year old Chinook in 2012. Coho Salmon numbers are also anticipated to be good to strong for many systems again this season, which has contributed to the consideration by DFO to potentially remove an inner boundary line which has been deemed redundant to management of stocks and enforcement. This potential change would truly enhance Tofino’s inshore and near-shore Coho Salmon fishing opportunities for the many local anglers who cherish the great summer action with lighter tackle, within a safe proximity to Tofino’s harbour.

I can't comment on Coho age classes "holding over" in the ocean like Chinook have done in the past, but I think it would be highly unlikely.
Even though Ocean Survival conditions are considered very strong, I think there is a possibility of competition for food, especially when you consider the overall number of North Pacific Salmon being strong the last few years and the base food sources being extracted for other means....production of Fish farm pellets being one of these that has created much controversy within ocean management discussions.

We anticipate very good Coho Salmon numbers and fishing again, and having already caught over a dozen Coho one day this month, and a few were as big as we would see mid May, I think our size average may be back to "normal".

A lot of speculation, but hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Annual Terrace trip for three weeks. My wife is from there so we visit family and fish (well I fish and she visits family). Hit the Douglas channel and fish the Skeena for Chinooks and Sockeye. My uncle just bought a new 21 foot jetboat with a 350 chevy and he gives me free reigns on it. Better not beach it this year!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Here fishy fishy....

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Here fishy fishy....
That worked for me yesterday... Great offshore day for early April. Report coming soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Pics or it didn't happen Jay!!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen Jay!!
Did get some pics for proof...will try and get a quick report done tonight. A little slow on the draw, health issues kickin my azzzzz today. I have been posting updates and pics fresh, very fresh on Twitter @tofinofishing for anyone following Fishing in the Twitter World.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Did get some pics for proof...will try and get a quick report done tonight. A little slow on the draw, health issues kickin my azzzzz today. I have been posting updates and pics fresh, very fresh on Twitter @tofinofishing for anyone following Fishing in the Twitter World.
Oh I believe you Im just itchin to see some chuck fish!!!
Patiently waiting....

Take Care
Mike